Home Forums Music Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 7)

Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 633 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Gucci
Boz
strangemercy
  • Profile picture
    ELIAS✨
    Topics:

can everyone agree that even though 10 nominees is too extensive, it does allowing choosing winners to be more difficult and entertaining?

Top 15 Albums of 2022 to understand my music taste lol slay

Ants From Up There
    Bronco
    CAPRISONGS
    Dawn FM
    Diaspora Problems
    Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You
    Harry's House
    Hellfire
    Ivory
    Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers
    MOTOMAMI
    Melt My Eyez See My Future
    Once Twice Melody
    Preacher's Daughter
    RENAISSANCE

Everything Everywhere All At Once for Best Picture
    Severance for Outstanding Drama Series

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

I feel like this forum underestimates vote splitting. Like statistcally speaking you’ll do better when all your competitors appeal to the same type of voter and you don’t. Not really rocket science.

Profile picture
    ELIAS✨
    Topics:

I feel like this forum underestimates vote splitting. Like statistcally speaking you’ll do better when all your competitors appeal to the same type of voter and you don’t. Not really rocket science.

i agree, but I just feel like other musicians know your music like very well. Adele fits that mold, especially like in 2011 when she won in a pop heavy lineup. I’m not saying it’s the same this year, but I think she’s the only one who can overcome the vote splitting for this year. 

Ants From Up There
    Bronco
    CAPRISONGS
    Dawn FM
    Diaspora Problems
    Harry's House
    Hellfire
    Ivory
    MOTOMAMI
    Once Twice Melody
    Preacher's Daughter
    RENAISSANCE

Profile picture
    ELIAS✨
    Topics:

speaking of passion, if Beyoncé were to win AOTY, it would be more for a stronger amount of passion for RENAISSANCE this time around. I don’t see her vote splitting.

Ants From Up There
    Bronco
    CAPRISONGS
    Dawn FM
    Diaspora Problems
    Harry's House
    Hellfire
    Ivory
    MOTOMAMI
    Once Twice Melody
    Preacher's Daughter
    RENAISSANCE

Profile picture
    almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

Old white men are stanning!

Everything Everywhere All At Once & Renaissance sweep truther

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Sorry, but no matter how y’all flip it, there was passion for Jon Batiste. The most nominated act of the year – 10 nods The most awarded act of the year – 5 wins Biggest award of the night – AOTY All this being someone with little to no mainstream following. That’s good enough evidence that there was passion. It’s not his fault that there wasn’t a strong enough “pop act” in the field to run away with the trophy and avoid a “vote split,” and the majority of you were 100% sure Tony Bennett and Gaga were going to be strong enough to run away with the vote. If they didn’t win, then Billie Eilish was next in line, despite the lukewarm response to her album and its singles. His losing in Jazz and R&B fields doesn’t signify there wasn’t passion for him either. It’s an arbitrary nitpick.

That’s not being nitpicky. It’s just is what it is. Passion is when the alternative choice overrides a presumed/strong frontrunner against all odds. There was no strong frontrunner amongst the Billie, Olivia, or Gaga set so Jon had the benefit of a small, but important, set of voters from some branches that put him up on top and he wasn’t necessarily against all odds with that wonky list of contenders in which over half of them (Justice, Donda, Evermore, Back of My Mind, Montero, Planet Her) were never serious contenders for a win.

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

Jon had enough passion to win a handful of Grammys, including AOTY. But there’s no doubt he benefited from a bunch of pop/pop-leaning albums vote-splitting, a lack of an obvious front-runner, and having the right image and music for voters (including some black/non-white voters) to check off both the “voted for a black person” but also “voted for a ‘real musician” box.

Profile picture
    Lorenzo Dillard
    Topics:

Vote splitting would’ve made a sufficient argument in a stronger year. But none of those projects (with the exception of SOUR) had much heat.

Billie had just swept with her previous album, Taylor won AOTY the ceremony prior, Bieber had no chance in hell, Doja/Lil Nas X were probably too Rap leaning to ever win & I’m not sure Gaga/Bennett appeal to any of those demographics. So in the end, passion is probably what brought Batiste to the forefront. A 5/10 tally indicates that. That’s not really rocket science either.

Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, those old white dudes “stanning” for Renaissance will NOT vote for Beyoncé in Album of the Year.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Vote splitting would’ve made a sufficient argument in a stronger year. But none of those projects (with the exception of SOUR) had much heat.

This is just revisionism. Multiple projects had both maxxed out on noms and winning hype. To say that Gaga and Billie had no “heat” (whatever that means) is just trying to re-write history.

In the end, the albums just didn’t prove strong enough to overcome votesplitting and Batiste – who again, is a known musician in multiple fields – scooped up enough votes to edge out his competition. Someone who carries actual passion would get a SOTY nomination in a lineup of 10.

Again, just like almanzarlamarcarlile said, I’m not really sure where this whole shift is coming from. Everyone and their mother agrees Batiste won due to that when the Grammys happen. But suddenly there was passion when we are discussing Beyoncé and “what type of albums voters go for”. Agree to disagree I guess.

Profile picture
    Lorenzo Dillard
    Topics:

This is just revisionism. Multiple projects had both maxxed out on noms and winning hype. To say that Gaga and Billie had no “heat” (whatever that means) is just trying to re-write history.

In the end, the albums just didn’t prove strong enough to overcome votesplitting and Batiste – who again, is a known musician in multiple fields – scooped up enough votes to edge out his competition. Someone who carries actual passion would get a SOTY nomination in a lineup of 10.

Again, just like almanzarlamarcarlile said, I’m not really sure where this whole shift is coming from. Everyone and their mother agrees Batiste won due to that when the Grammys happen. But suddenly there was passion when we are discussing Beyoncé and “what type of albums voters go for”. Agree to disagree I guess.

I never said Gaga didn’t have heat, for one. The post specifically stated she & Bennett probably didn’t appeal to the contemporary demographic. Which is most likely true. Their album was more traditional. Plus, Happier Than Ever was not the blockbuster follow-up to an undeniable debut. The hype was significantly less for Billie that go round. Definitely not a “rewrite”

Secondly, unless you personally spoke with the entire voting body, there’s no concrete proof to support any theory as to why Batiste won. Which is why we’re having this discussion. But to suggest passion wasn’t a major factor is not only revisionism but also bias. The man won 5/10 Grammys and you’re still discrediting that fact to fit your nit picky argument. Missing a SOTY nod is irrelevant when he led the pack in both nominations and wins. He had support in multiple fields. So this vote-splitting narrative is a bit of a reach.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

It isn’t a nitpick. How do you have passion for an AOTY win but lose Best Improvised Jazz Solo?

Getting 10 nominations is impressive, but it doesn’t indicate passion. It just indicates you’re well known in enough branches.

It’s nitpicky. Who says you have to win every single “smaller” category to have passion to win AOTY? That probably boils down to “We’re going to vote for Jon Batiste in AOTY and go with someone else here because he has other categories to win.” Every artist has benefited from some type of factor (vote-splitting included), but it doesn’t mean that they didn’t have enough passionate voters to win a category. Based off your definition of “passion,” out of all recent AOTY wins, only Adele and Bruno Mars had that.

Getting 10 nominations is most definitely passion because he got those (or most of those) based on a straight vote and in several different fields. To say or insinuate that it’s common for someone like Jon to get those nominations, with or without a panel, is baffling. How many artists have gotten 10+ nominations in one year? It all boils down to passion somewhere.

And now all of a sudden, Billie Eilish and Tony/Gaga were “no1currs” when they were deemed “frontrunners” to win and Jon Batiste was barely top 5. That’s revisionist history.

Profile picture
    Sunrise1981
    Topics:

Vote splitting, full support for Jon from different fields and

his previous wins (Oscar and Golden Globe) really helped him to win at the Grammys

Vote splitting ( Billie, Olivia, Taylor) and ( Doja and Lil Nas)  and ( ABBA and Tony Bennet/Lady Gaga)

But taking Brandi Carlile  from an American Roots song  to “Pop Category” – she complained and was upset ( Jon won an American Roots song), this is not Jon’s fault

hmm… i see.. never mind

Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, we do NOT know if Jon Batiste was submitted in Song of the Year.

Profile picture
    Huerco
    Topics:

Thinking about Dance and Pop categories: Could When I’m Gone by Alesso and Katy Perry be submitted to Best Pop Duo/Group Performance instead of Best Dance/Electronic Recording? Now remember that Zedd competed two times in pop category with Stay and The Middle. When I’m Gone is more pop than electronic. It could be a similar situation.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 633 total)

The topic ‘Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.