Home Forums Music Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 7)

Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 633 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Gucci
Boz
strangemercy
  • Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

Let’s be real. There’s likely still no bigger demo in the academy than white men over 40. And it’s probably by some distance. While none of those wins mean “diversity”. Megan had several years of mainstream success and a number 1 with Beyoncé when she won BNA. Her biggest competition was a rap-pop girl with only one substantial hit at the time and a low selling “indie” girl who couldn’t get past Fetch The Bolt Cutters and Jamie in the alt and rock categories. Childish Gambino was a “message music” win. HER fits almost perfectly into what the academy wants a black artist to be.

Profile picture
    J
    Topics:

Hoping Super Freaky Girl can snag a couple noms in the rap field

Profile picture
    Huerco
    Topics:

Super Freaky Girl is not happening.

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

Hoping Super Freaky Girl can snag a couple noms in the rap field

It’s giving cute lil bop. But as talented as Nicki is, she has continued to struggle with actually making solid songs. While she’s no longer big enough to get a Grammy nod for something like that unless it becomes a substantial hit. And even then it’ll be a large question mark.

Profile picture
    strangemercy
    Topics:

Get real! The next Album of the Year winner will NOT be Beyoncé or Silk Sonic. Just say ‘no’ to drugs.

That’s why I started my sentence with “personal take”.

Profile picture
    daniel
    Topics:

it baffles me that people keep bringing up nicki. they hate her, she’s not happening.  on top of that, her output hasn’t been good in years (including ‘super freaky girl’ which is completely carried by the sample)

Profile picture
    Moment 4 Life
    Topics:

If Nicki was to submit, it would probably be for Best Melodic Rap (Super Freaky Girl) and Best Rap Performance (Do We Have a Problem or We Go Up). But I can’t see it happening. As much as Nicki is overdue a Grammy, I don’t think the Academy like her unfortunately.

Profile picture
    Moment 4 Life
    Topics:

What does everyone think of Traumazine? I think it’s a step up from her last album Good News, it would be worthy of a Best Rap Album nomination. Now, of course, it’s not winning because Kendrick is locked in basically all rap categories. But a nomination would still be nice to see.

Profile picture
    hessa_life
    Topics:

I think the Grammys might one day give Nicki some type of honorary award just out of guilt/spite lol. Same thing going for Katy Perry since she’s also long overdue for a Grammy which she should’ve gotten during her Teenage Dream era

Stream “emails I can’t send” by Sabrina Carpenter!!

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Let’s be real. There’s likely still no bigger demo in the academy than white men over 40. And it’s probably by some distance. While none of those wins mean “diversity”. Megan had several years of mainstream success and a number 1 with Beyoncé when she won BNA. Her biggest competition was a rap-pop girl with only one substantial hit at the time and a low selling “indie” girl who couldn’t get past Fetch The Bolt Cutters and Jamie in the alt and rock categories. Childish Gambino was a “message music” win. HER fits almost perfectly into what the academy wants a black artist to be.

Sorry, but none of this proves that the membership hasn’t diversified, especially the Megan reasoning. Like… It just sounds like you don’t like the artists and music that have been chosen since the membership has diversified. Truth be told, even black artists, producers and songwriters prefer these type of artists, hence them dominating their genres.

Also, it’s not about what’s “likely”. It’s about what actually is happening with the membership:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2021/06/28/recording-academy-invites-2700-new-members-increase-diversity-grammy-awards-music-creators/5350271001/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2022/04/04/grammys-diversity-more-inclusive-than-oscars/7264604001/

Of course, there is a bunch of “old white men” still in NARAS. That much is true, but that doesn’t mean that the membership hasn’t changed over the years or that we haven’t seen some change since. The membership won’t change massively overnight. It’s unreasonable to think so. If we want all black winners that aren’t as “safe” as Megan, Childish Gambino or H.E.R., just say that. That’s really what it boils down to.

Profile picture
    Anna Artdeco
    Topics:

Nicki is not happening. The hype for her is very low and her musical output hasn’t been it for years. Vet acts like Katy and Nicki either need a massive hit or a change in narrative to get nominated again, let alone win. Or they can jump on a dance track with a popular DJ.

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

It has nothing to do with who I like. We know what changes they’ve attempted to make. Those changes don’t mean that the majority demo isn’t still by far older white people, and it will likely continue to be that way no matter how much they diversify. But honestly, that’s a general “awards shows” issue. Hell, it’s an industry issue. And I’m not even complaining about it. It’s the corporate world. But let’s not pretend that the largest demo by quite a wide margin isn’t still over 40 white guys.

While my reasoning for Megan makes perfect sense. She was hardly a “new artist”. She had already proven herself to be commercially viable for years. Plus, she had a hit with Beyoncé, which put her over the top. Doja was gonna beat her with one legit hit and a half of year of being mainstream? Phoebe was supposed to beat her? Megan was the front-runner by quite a margin. The only reason it was even questioned was because she’s a rapper.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

While my reasoning for Megan makes perfect sense. She was hardly a “new artist”. She had already proven herself to be commercially viable for years. Plus, she had a hit with Beyoncé, which put her over the top. Doja was gonna beat her with one legit hit and a half of year of being mainstream? Phoebe was supposed to beat her? Megan was the front-runner by quite a margin. The only reason it was even questioned was because she’s a rapper.

This explains how she won, but it doesn’t have anything to do with “old white men” liking her and picking her over Doja and Phoebe. Megan does NOT appeal to that demographic, and we all know this. C’mon now. Clearly, this was the effect of some type of change in that membership.

Profile picture
    K4AIROS
    Topics:

I disagree with some of these claims. I believe Nicki can still win a Grammy if she submits and plays her cards right. The Grammys have been replying to her on twitter and posting her, so I mean they don’t necessarily hate her like that. If Super Freaky Girl does good which I think it will, then it and DWHAP will receive some nominations and maybe even a win. And be real, Kendrick is definitely not sweeping the rap categories cause his new album is horrible and lowkey came and went.

Profile picture
    Sunrise1981
    Topics:

Nicki is not happening. The hype for her is very low and her musical output hasn’t been it for years. Vet acts like Katy and Nicki either need a massive hit or a change in narrative to get nominated again, let alone win. Or they can jump on a dance track with a popular DJ.

They can still grab some gold at the Academy, both have written songs for other artists over the years.

“Songwriter/s of the Year” (newly added category)

and some collaboration “best pop duo/group performance”

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 633 total)

The topic ‘Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.