Home Forums Music Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 hours ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
circa 1993
Gucci
DC95
  • Tasiandee
    Participant
    Topics:

I know all the excitement lives in Gen/pop categories but I for one am excited to see how the R&B categories shape out this year so lets discuss.

Releases so far:
    Khalid: Free spirit
    Beyoncé- Homecoming ?
    Solange-When I Get Home
    DAWN- New Breed
    Anderson .Paak

Soon to be released:
    FKA Twigs
    John legend?
    Fantasia (First single “Enough” comes out May 3rd)
    Rihanna
    Monica
    Normani

• This topic was modified 4 weeks ago by  Tasiandee.
    Tasiandee
    Participant
    Topics:

Khalid has owned R&B charts this year thus far…

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I’m excited for Khalid to slay the Grammys next year. That’s all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tasiandee
    Participant
    Topics:

For Me (a Fantasia Fan) I’m super nervous because she is going the Indie rout and this will be her first swing at it in R&B. I’m hoping she is able to let loose on this record. She has been nominated for every single one of her R&B albums so I think she’ll have a great chance to get in some categories (depending on the music of course)..

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Really hoping they show some love for Kehlani’s ‘While We Wait’.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Ella Mai will likely be nominated across the board with “Trip” and her album.

H.E.R.’s “Hard Place” is eligible since it’s not on the album that she won for this year.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Khalid’s album got moved to Pop Album. I haven’t listened to it outside of the singles, but he’s always been one of those artists who toes the line and some of his newer singles are continuing that trend.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

Khalid would be a sure bet for most of these R&B catagories. He’s the R&B boy atm. It’s would be weird if When I Get Home would win against HOMECOMING or vise versa, but it would be cool if it were nominated. FKA twigs is someone I wanted a come up for the longest. If she doesn’t it with this album, WHAT A LEGEND!

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Khalid is the type that’s too pop to be a big contender in the R&B but not pop enough to be given a thought in Pop.

I don’t expect a whole lot of love for him.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Urban Contemporary Contenders:
    Beyoncé
    Mariah Carey
    Kehlani
    Khalid
    Lizzo
    Anderson. Paak

R&B Album Contenders:
    Ella Mai
    Solange

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

I doubt Mariah will get any nominations. The Grammys have never been the most fond of her and it’s been over a decade since she’s been nominated anywhere.

H.E.R. is also an R&B Album contender for her I Used to Know Her: Part 2 EP, possibly her debut album if it arrives.

I haven’t gotten around to either of the Anderson .Paak albums yet, but is it possible one contends in Urban Contemporary and the other in R&B?

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Toni Braxton’s last nomination before her win with Babyface for R&B Album was 10-14 years prior.

Anything can happen. Mariah has rebuilt her reputation as a songwriter within the industry. “Caution” received some of the best reviews of her career this decade. And she’s staying visible. Performing, receiving accolades, and releasing singles/visuals.

She’s never been a huge favorite at the Grammys, but she’s still respected.

ReplyCopy URL
    John_White38
    Participant
    Topics:

Toni Braxton’s last nomination before her win with Babyface for R&B Album was 10-14 years prior. Anything can happen. Mariah has rebuilt her reputation as a songwriter within the industry. “Caution” received some of the best reviews of her career this decade. And she’s staying visible. Performing, receiving accolades, and releasing singles/visuals. She’s never been a huge favorite at the Grammys, but she’s still respected.

I think at this point in her career Mariah gives zero fucks about Grammys. She’s shading them A LOT. And when you are the definition of 90s (an awesome songwriter, incredible singer and performer, a cultural icon) and the Grammys give you 2 Grammys for the entire decade, I think it would be a disgrace to nominate her in her 50s for irrelevant material compared to 90s. Award the talent when you have the chance, not 20 years too late

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Participant
    Topics:

Toni Braxton went 14 years (2001-2015) without a Grammy nomination.

The R&B field is extremely weak. There is a committee now. Mariah Carey is a legend. Caution received universal acclaim. I think she can squeak out a R&B nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that there’s a committee now hurts Mariah, not helps her.

And Toni’s nomination came with Babyface, a former Grammy heavyweight, and she was just riding a huge Urban AC hit. And the fact that Mariah has spoken against the Grammys recently probably hurts her as well. Mariah will struggle.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Khalid is the current front runner for Urban Contemporary IMO. He’s having the most successful hot streak on Billboard. All he needs is one smash record to secure his visibility through out the rest of 2019.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.