Home Forums Music Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
13 mins ago
replies
views
users
circa 1993
Gucci
Tasiandee
  • Gucci
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, gawd! @ my girl Monica releasing a new album.  I need my bitch Brandy to finally push through.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

Khalid is the current front runner for Urban Contemporary IMO. He’s having the most successful hot streak on Billboard. All he needs is one smash record to secure his visibility through out the rest of 2019.

Khalid is not the front runner in R&B when you have artists like Kehlani and Solange and Anderson Paak in the mix. Plus maybe the Beyonce’s Live album. Plus upcoming projects from Fantasia, FKA twigs, The Weekend, Chilish Gambino or Rihana that could be, if not, bigger than Khalid.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Well for one, I was predicting the Urban Contemporary category. Not the entire R&B Field as a whole.

Second, we’re discussing material that is already released. Not hypothetical scenarios involving music we haven’t even heard yet.

Third, UC doesn’t always go to the best album in the category (I.e. Beyoncé losing to Pharrell).

They tend to pick the record with the biggest hit(s) or most buzz. Khalid is hot right now. Whether you want to admit it or not. His string of top 10s is impressive.

He’s got more heat than Kehlani and Anderson. That’s a fact. He debuted @#1 with strong numbers and has spent an entire year on Billboard.

ReplyCopy URL
    LeQuan
    Participant
    Topics:

I still think the committee helps Mariah more than hurts her coz they don’t just go for popular, but moreso acclaim and quality; both of which Caution has. Soo, I think she might squeeze in at least one nod, somewhere.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tasiandee
    Participant
    Topics:

Think Mariah Has a solid chance at getting nominated, this year we haven’t seen much from the world of R&B so we may actually see good number of unexpected nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, I concur. The R&B committee definitely helps Mariah Carey. I doubt they care about the comments she made about the Grammys.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Mariah is “popular,” even if her music no longer isn’t. And y’all always say the R&B field is “weak” and this one and that will get in because of it, and the panel says just the opposite. There’s a lot going on in R&B to not care about Mariah, sorry.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

If Anderson .Paak could beat Drake, Cardi B, and Travis Scott, I doubt he would have any trouble beating Khalid.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Khalid and his shitty music should be moved to the Pop categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, I don’t think Khalid will win Best Urban Contemporary Album. He is NOT a Grammy darling.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

If Anderson makes it into AOTY (which is possible), it’s not 100% guaranteed that he’ll even be nominated for Urban Contemporary.

Let’s not forget how dirty the Grammys were to Janelle Monae last year. She was nominated for the top prize but lost out on a nod in her own respective genre album field.

Khalid is only two albums deep into his career to be considered a “Grammy favorite”. He’s remained consistent enough to potentially win in the future.

If Pharrell & The Weeknd can beat more critically acclaimed LPs, then so can Khalid. Especially if he continues building momentum with the hits.

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree with a lot that’s being said. Personally, I like Khalid and he is killing it on multiple formats at radio/streaming/sales… however, I do think the judging panel in R&B is going to consider him more “pop”. I could see a situation where he gets into pop solo and the General Field before he gets nominated in the R&B categories. He failed to get into R&B performance during his breakthrough year and then last year there was no excuse for “Love Lies” to be ignored when it was one of the biggest urban hits of the year. I hope I’m wrong and he somehow sneaks in.

As for the leader of Urban Contemporary Album, I think Anderson is in the lead and then Beyonce is in 2nd place.

Sidenote: I think Mariah will be placed in R&B Album (her last album was submitted in this category for consideration).

2nd Sidenote: Looking forward to hearing Fantasia’s new music!

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

“Caution” is as Urban Contemporary as you can get. The only difference is that album belongs to an artist over 40 years old. Had SZA or Rihanna released a similar record, there would be no question where the Grammys would submit it.

People forget that The Weeknd went full blown Pop on “Starboy” and still submitted (and won) in the Urban Contemporary category. His popularity on the charts benefited the win. Khalid is in a similar situation.

In can go either way. But based on his recent track record of submitting to the R&B Field, it’s not a stretch to believe his label will go there again.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

The Weeknd and Pharrell are bigger industry favorites than Khalid.

And like someone said, Anderson .Paak was considered dead last in Rap Performance, but ending up in a surprising tie with Grammy heavyweight Kendrick Lamar and company and also beat out Drake, Travis Scott and Cardi B. Khalid has not proven to be anything but radio/streaming list fodder. Plus, his album has received mixed reviews. He may not even be nominated if it were up to the R&B panel. Anderson .Paak, however, could be a pick by a popular vote or panel. Not sure why Khalid is being overhyped right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Arianator
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope ari will submit imagine here

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.