Home Forums Music Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
50 years ago
( +24 hidden )
replies
views
users
DC95
circa 1993
cheyenne lee
  • Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Ari Lennox eligible for R&B album or is she too “urban”?

ReplyCopy URL
    Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Caution has a really good chance at nabbing three or four nominations in the R&B Categories at the 2020 Grammys. It’s unlike anything that’s currently being released in the mainstream R&B music sphere (think of songs like ‘GTFO’ which heavily incorporates EDM into its music, and ‘Giving Me Life’ which is the perfect fusion of psychedelia with a hip-hop beat). It was critically acclaimed and did relatively well commercially for an R&B album (it was one of the best-selling R&B releases in terms of pure sales in 2018).

My thoughts on what she has a good chance of getting nominated for:

Best R&B Album – Caution (I think she has a pretty good chance at winning this award too, seeing as though the credibility of the Grammys has fallen in recent years, and since Mariah was notoriously snubbed back in 1996 and 2006, it would be a chance to correct their mistakes).

Best Urban Contemporary Album – Caution (The album is quite experimental in terms of the current standard of R&B music and incorporates genres like Trap, EDM and psychedelic rock into its music – I do think Mariah has a better chance at winning Best R&B album because the cohesiveness of Caution as an album is based on its fundamental roots in traditional R&B)

Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical – Caution (whether or not you’re a fan of Mariah’s music, you have to admit that the range and quality of sounds covered in the album’s production are simply stunning – Mariah is listed as the lead producer on all the tracks! I’m not so sure on this one though)

Best Traditional R&B Performance – ‘With You’ (It is without a doubt one of the best R&B ballads to have been released in a long while, even by Mariah herself)

Best R&B Song – ‘GTFO’ / ‘A No No’ (I’m not so sure about this award – on the one hand, GTFO has been listed on year-end lists as one of the best R&B songs of 2018, though on the other, actual reviewers of the album itself listed ‘A No No’ as the standout track)

I wonder if they’ll ever induct Mariah Carey’s album, ‘Merry Christmas’, into the Grammy Hall of Fame – it’s only just become eligible for induction and is probably the only modern album to have entered the Xmas Canon (with ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ being the only modern-day Xmas classic).

That’s a monumental achievement seeing as though legends before her like Stevie Wonder had released Xmas albums to no success or lasting impact. Mariah basically reinvented Christmas Music into a commercially relevant and forward-thinking genre of the industry (artists since AIWFCIY making ‘new’ Christmas songs and albums as opposed to simply covering the classics – see every other Christmas album released since 1994)

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Here are my predictions for each R&B Album Category

Best R&B Album 

When I Get Home – Solange 

Caution – Mariah Carey

Ella MaiElla Mai 

Free Spirit – Khalid 

(if Fantasia’s upcoming album is reviewed well, she’d be a definite on this list)

Best Urban Contemporary Album

Cuz I Love You- Lizzo

VenturaAnderson.Paak

When I Get HomeSolange 

Caution Mariah Carey

While We Wait – Kehlani 

Can I just say that both Mariah and Solange have released the most sonically diverse R&B albums of the past year – they could end up getting nominated for both categories mentioned, but it’s more likely they’ll end up in one or the other. I think Mariah will end up getting nominated for Best R&B Album and Solange for Best Urban Contemporary R&B. Although who knows, it could be the other way round…

They usually nominate one veteran/ legend in either of the categories and I really think Mariah has a shot of winning something this year!

ReplyCopy URL
    Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Mariah Carey can NOT be nominated for both Best Urban Contemporary Album and Best R&B Album. It’s either one or the other. I’m thinking she’ll be submitted to Best R&B Album like last time. Same thing apples for Solange. Khalid will be submitted to Best Urban Contemporary Album. You must be new to the Grammy game.

She’ll probably submit to Best R&B album seeing as though she’s an artist over 40. I’m hoping her or Solange win at least something…

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

“GTFO” was submitted last year to the R&B Field. Great song! But it won’t be eligible.

“Caution” is by definition an Urban Contemporary Album because it contains elements of R&B, Pop, & Hip-Hop.

If they submit Mariah to R&B Album simply because she’s over 40 years old, then that would be incredibly ageist.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  circa 1993.
    • This reply was modified 3 months ago by  circa 1993.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m skeptical of Chris Brown getting any nominations this year simply because there’s been a lot of talk recently about his past bad behavior, ie Chvrches calling out Marshmello for working with him, or the criticism Justin Bieber got just a few days ago for praising him.

Chris Brown got a nomination for Graffiti, his worst reviewed album right after the Rihanna incident where radio stopped playing his music. No one cares about Chvrches or Justin Bieber in R&B/urban music. Besides, he won a Grammy after the Rihanna incident.

If Chris doesn’t get nominated, it would have more to do with the fact that his music has been declining with voters for years now, similar to Alicia Keys and Usher. There are too many upcoming urban contemporary acts to keep name checking Chris Brown every year.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Chris had a comeback/redemption narrative in 2011/2012 that was largely effective. Nowadays, we are living in a culture where shining a spotlight on his past offenses heavily hurts him.

I think that, as well as the factors you mentioned, will lead to him not being nominated this year.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  DC95.
    • This reply was modified 3 months ago by  DC95.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Chris had a comeback/redemption narrative in 2011/2012 that was largely effective. Nowadays, we are living in a culture where shining a spotlight on his past offenses heavily hurts him.

I think that, as well as the factors you mentioned, will lead to him not being nominated this year.

So, there was a comeback narrative when Graffiti was nominated? No.

There’s no backlash towards Chris Brown. Chvrches doesn’t matter, and the only reason people were mad at Justin is because he called Chris a “legend” and the best performer of our generation. Nothing to do with 2009.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Nope, I saw a bunch of people that included Chris Brown being a past abuser as a reason to be upset at what Justin Bieber said.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, “Me. I Am. Mariah…” was sonically more R&B than “Caution” though.

Songs like “#Beautiful”, “Cry”, “You Don’t Know What to Do”, “You’re Mine (Eternal)” are NOT Urban.

Songs like “A No No”, “Giving Me Life”, “Stay Long Love You” ARE. There is an obvious difference between the two albums.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

They assess it based on what the majority of the album is; i.e. Toni Braxton’s album had some dance/pop songs but was still placed in R&B Album.

There is a pop song or two on Caution and it does have some more contemporary influence, but it seems like there’s a difference between the old Contemporary R&B Album category and the current Urban Contemporary Album one, in that the new R&B Album allows for more contemporary styles of R&B while Urban Contemporary is for more sonically adventurous albums that push the limits of the genre. I don’t think Mariah fits that bill.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s no set rule for Urban or R&B. Fantasia and Tamar were nominated against Rihanna in Urban, and their albums were just as R&B as any of their other albums. Mary’s London Sessions was mostly European dance, but it was allowed in R&B Album. The panel allows the flip flop. They’ve been doing it since they had two R&B Album categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

I mean the Grammys Committee can always switch submissions between categories if they want so I’m sure it won’t affect anything. I think she’ll probably end up submitting Caution for Best R&B Album – Mariah probably doesn’t view her own album as Urban Contemporary, but the Recording Academy could end up switching her anyways.  She really does deserve at least a nomination for Best R&B Album or Best Urban Contemporary Album.

I think ‘With You’ has a shot at nabbing a nomination for ‘Best Traditional R&B Performance’ and/or ‘Best R&B Song’ if it was submitted- it was a top ten hit on the AC and Urban AC charts and got rave reviews by critics for its lyrical content and delivery. It does feel very ‘Long as I Live’-esque too in terms of its appeal so who knows…

A living legend like Mariah putting out an album like Caution 30 years into their career is rare indeed. It’d be a travesty if it wasn’t at least nominated for 2020.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

With You would go R&B, not Traditional. If anything from the album is Traditional, it would be Portrait and even that is questionable.

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

If Toni could get nominated for Sex and Cigarettes, Mariah can get nominated for Caution. If she nabs the nomination for Best Traditional R&B Performance, it’s a guaranteed win in my opinion (like let’s be honest, who else is going to perform an R&B Song better than the Queen of R&B herself!)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.