Home Forums Music Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
54 mins ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
circa 1993
Gucci
DC95
  • Gucci
    Participant
    Topics:

Werk, Fanny!

ReplyCopy URL
    Tasiandee
    Participant
    Topics:

Adding Chris brown to the list..

He announced his new album “Indigo” to be released June 21st

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

“Indigo” is another 30 track album. Ugh..overkill.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Chris Brown will be a non-factor.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Chris Brown has managed to secure nominations recently. If he gets a hit or two, I could see him contending in a couple categories.

But as of right now, there are maybe 5-6 other albums I could see in UC before Indigo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol nobody cares about Chris Brown. His last nomination was in 2016 for “Only” and he was a feature on that.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m skeptical of Chris Brown getting any nominations this year simply because there’s been a lot of talk recently about his past bad behavior, ie Chvrches calling out Marshmello for working with him, or the criticism Justin Bieber got just a few days ago for praising him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tasiandee
    Participant
    Topics:

So I streamed CIARA’s album and im wondering where pople think she fits in the conversation

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Participant
    Topics:

Get it, Ciara!

That bitch deserves a R&B nomination.  She’s such a guilty pleasure of mine.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Ciara is an underrated R&B/Pop icon. But her recent albums tend to come and go.

For over 10 years, she’s managed to squeeze out at least one hit every era. “Level Up” was probably Beauty Marks’ singular success. Beyond that, I don’t see any of the other songs having impact.

The album isn’t really getting raves either. She should link up with Jazze Phae again. His sound gave her music personality.

ReplyCopy URL
    Os
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Ari Lennox eligible for R&B album or is she too “urban”?

ReplyCopy URL
    Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Caution has a really good chance at nabbing three or four nominations in the R&B Categories at the 2020 Grammys. It’s unlike anything that’s currently being released in the mainstream R&B music sphere (think of songs like ‘GTFO’ which heavily incorporates EDM into its music, and ‘Giving Me Life’ which is the perfect fusion of psychedelia with a hip-hop beat). It was critically acclaimed and did relatively well commercially for an R&B album (it was one of the best-selling R&B releases in terms of pure sales in 2018).

My thoughts on what she has a good chance of getting nominated for:

Best R&B Album – Caution (I think she has a pretty good chance at winning this award too, seeing as though the credibility of the Grammys has fallen in recent years, and since Mariah was notoriously snubbed back in 1996 and 2006, it would be a chance to correct their mistakes).

Best Urban Contemporary Album – Caution (The album is quite experimental in terms of the current standard of R&B music and incorporates genres like Trap, EDM and psychedelic rock into its music – I do think Mariah has a better chance at winning Best R&B album because the cohesiveness of Caution as an album is based on its fundamental roots in traditional R&B)

Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical – Caution (whether or not you’re a fan of Mariah’s music, you have to admit that the range and quality of sounds covered in the album’s production are simply stunning – Mariah is listed as the lead producer on all the tracks! I’m not so sure on this one though)

Best Traditional R&B Performance – ‘With You’ (It is without a doubt one of the best R&B ballads to have been released in a long while, even by Mariah herself)

Best R&B Song – ‘GTFO’ / ‘A No No’ (I’m not so sure about this award – on the one hand, GTFO has been listed on year-end lists as one of the best R&B songs of 2018, though on the other, actual reviewers of the album itself listed ‘A No No’ as the standout track)

I wonder if they’ll ever induct Mariah Carey’s album, ‘Merry Christmas’, into the Grammy Hall of Fame – it’s only just become eligible for induction and is probably the only modern album to have entered the Xmas Canon (with ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ being the only modern-day Xmas classic).

That’s a monumental achievement seeing as though legends before her like Stevie Wonder had released Xmas albums to no success or lasting impact. Mariah basically reinvented Christmas Music into a commercially relevant and forward-thinking genre of the industry (artists since AIWFCIY making ‘new’ Christmas songs and albums as opposed to simply covering the classics – see every other Christmas album released since 1994)

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Here are my predictions for each R&B Album Category

Best R&B Album 

When I Get Home – Solange 

Caution – Mariah Carey

Ella MaiElla Mai 

Free Spirit – Khalid 

(if Fantasia’s upcoming album is reviewed well, she’d be a definite on this list)

Best Urban Contemporary Album

Cuz I Love You- Lizzo

VenturaAnderson.Paak

When I Get HomeSolange 

Caution Mariah Carey

While We Wait – Kehlani 

Can I just say that both Mariah and Solange have released the most sonically diverse R&B albums of the past year – they could end up getting nominated for both categories mentioned, but it’s more likely they’ll end up in one or the other. I think Mariah will end up getting nominated for Best R&B Album and Solange for Best Urban Contemporary R&B. Although who knows, it could be the other way round…

They usually nominate one veteran/ legend in either of the categories and I really think Mariah has a shot of winning something this year!

• This reply was modified 5 days, 5 hours ago by  cheyenne lee.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Mariah Carey can NOT be nominated for both Best Urban Contemporary Album and Best R&B Album.  It’s either one or the other.  I’m thinking she’ll be submitted to Best R&B Album like last time. Same thing apples for Solange.

Khalid will be submitted to Best Urban Contemporary Album. You must be new to the Grammy game.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Mariah Carey can NOT be nominated for both Best Urban Contemporary Album and Best R&B Album. It’s either one or the other. I’m thinking she’ll be submitted to Best R&B Album like last time. Same thing apples for Solange. Khalid will be submitted to Best Urban Contemporary Album. You must be new to the Grammy game.

She’ll probably submit to Best R&B album seeing as though she’s an artist over 40. I’m hoping her or Solange win at least something…

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.