Home Forums Music Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 127 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
50 years ago
( +24 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
Why U So Obse..
cheyenne lee
  • cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

With You would go R&B, not Traditional. If anything from the album is Traditional, it would be Portrait and even that is questionable.

To be honest, I think the instrumentation behind With You (the heavy piano chords and the light string accents) lends itself better to Traditional R&B rather than just R&B. The way she delivers the song itself is very reminiscent of Classical R&B as well, with it building up in intensity towards a fully belted climax (and whistle notes).

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on what has been nominated in both categories in the past, I think the production is too contemporary (particularly the synthesized percussion) and the song will be categorized accordingly.

There’s also a chance Mariah’s label enters the song in Pop Solo, banking on its success at pop adult contemporary radio, which I doubt would be contested.

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s also a chance Mariah’s label enters the song in Pop Solo, banking on its success at pop adult contemporary radio, which I doubt would be contested.

Her label is so idiotic it probably would too! They’re the only people who haven’t realised that Mariah hasn’t made a ‘Pop’ album since 1993. Even the albums before that are technically Contemporary R&B based on their massive influence on the genre. Mariah has always been an R&B artist and if her label submit her into Pop categories, they’re just setting themselves up for failure.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, “Me. I Am. Mariah…” was sonically more R&B than “Caution” though. Songs like “#Beautiful”, “Cry”, “You Don’t Know What to Do”, “You’re Mine (Eternal)” are NOT Urban. Songs like “A No No”, “Giving Me Life”, “Stay Long Love You” ARE. There is an obvious difference between the two albums.

Me I Am Mariah didn’t exactly get rave reviews though, but I do see your point. Songs like GTFO and Giving Me Life aren’t found on your average R&B album. However, that could help her if she’s nominated for Best R&B album – the fact that she’s been able to display both traditional R&B AND more progressive Urban contemporary styles of music on the album could actually nab her the win – most artists tend to lean heavily into one or the other, but Caution covers both aspects in a balanced, cohesive way (which a lot of critics picked up on and praised in their reviews).

ReplyCopy URL
    Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel as though Mariah releasing that album has breathed new life into R&B as a genre – not gonna lie, but I couldn’t stand that watered-down Ella Mai ‘Bood Up’ mess. She’s restored credibility in herself as an artist, songwriter and producer. At this stage in her career, that’s a monumental achievement in itself. Grammys are just icing on the cake — nice, but not exactly necessary!

ReplyCopy URL
    Tasiandee
    Participant
    Topics:

Would Fantasia “Enough” compete in R&B song or Traditional R&B?

I hope she release the Trio (Jaz, Fan and Bran) single before august because if its good…. grammys may eat it up.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Apollo XXI is SO good. Lacy is coming for that Urban Contemporary nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Assuming it’s eligible and entered, where do all of you think Lizzo’s “Truth Hurts” will be placed? It’s one of the most genre-ambiguous hits of this year and I could see it reasonably competing in Pop Solo Performance, R&B Performance, Rap/Sung Performance, or even Rap Performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tasiandee
    Participant
    Topics:

India Arie- Steady love

Cute song from her…

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Assuming it’s eligible and entered, where do all of you think Lizzo’s “Truth Hurts” will be placed? It’s one of the most genre-ambiguous hits of this year and I could see it reasonably competing in Pop Solo Performance, R&B Performance, Rap/Sung Performance, or even Rap Performance.

I think Rap Sung for Truth Hurts and Pop Solo for Juice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

Mariah should be submitted to Urban Contemporary. She’ll fare better there.

My current short/wish list:

R&B Performance:

“Shea Butter Baby” – Ari Lennox /J. Cole
    “A No No” – Mariah Carey
    “Trip” – Ella Mai
    “Talk” – Khalid
    “Triggered (Freestyle)” – Jhene Aiko

R&B Song:

“The Distance” – Mariah Carey f/ ty Dolla $ign
    “Hard Place” – H.E.R
    “Orbit” – NAO
    “RPG” – Kehlani f/6lack
    “Trip” – Ella Mai

R&B Album:

Dancing Shadows – Mario
    Ella Mai – Ella Mai
    When I Get Home – Solange
    You’re the Man – Marvin Gaye
    Shea Butter Baby – Ari Lennox

Urban Contemporary Album:

Caution – Mariah Carey
    LEGACY! LEGACY! – Jamila Woods
    Free Spirit – Khalid
    While We Wait – Kehlani
    Ventura – Anderson . Paak

*Lizzo should go Pop. Beyonce should submit Homecoming to AOTY and Music Film only to prevent getting a consolation genre grammy.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Deemy.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

Mariah should be submitted to Urban Contemporary. She’ll fare better there. My current short/wish list: R&B Performance: “Shea Butter Baby” – Ari Lennox /J. Cole “A No No” – Mariah Carey “Trip” – Ella Mai “Talk” – Khalid “Triggered (Freestyle)” – Jhene Aiko R&B Song: “The Distance” – Mariah Carey f/ ty Dolla $ign “Hard Place” – H.E.R “Orbit” – NAO “RPG” – Kehlani f/6lack “Trip” – Ella Mai R&B Album: Dancing Shadows – Mario Ella Mai – Ella Mai When I Get Home – Solange You’re the Man – Marvin Gaye Shea Butter Baby – Ari Lennox Urban Contemporary Album: Caution – Mariah Carey LEGACY! LEGACY! – Jamila Woods Free Spirit – Khalid While We Wait – Kehlani Ventura – Anderson . Paak *Lizzo should go Pop. Beyonce should submit Homecoming to AOTY and Music Film only to prevent getting a consolation genre grammy.

This list 100% My money is on Mariah or Solange (given they both get nominated for something) on winning an award – the other girls just aren’t doing it like them.

I still think Mariah should technically be considered for Best R&B Album – I’d say Solange’s album fits better in the Urban Contemporary category. A lot of the reviews for Caution commended Mariah for ‘incorporating’ current trends in Hip-Hop and R&B into her artistry – it’s a fundamentally R&B album with urban contemporary influences, rather than the other way round. It could go either way though, and she may not even be nominated. Given that it’s still one of the best-selling, as well one of the most acclaimed R&B projects, released in the submissions period so far, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was nominated, despite her history with the Grammys. Her label will probably end up submitting it for Best R&B Album (and the Academy may switch her to the Urban Contemporary category)

ReplyCopy URL
    Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

This is my predicted shortlist/wishlist! (given that they are nominated, the person I think will win is in bold)

Traditional R&B Performance:

“Enough” – Fantasia
    “With You” – Mariah Carey
    “Steady Love” – India Arie

(Can’t think of any other songs that could fit in this category – I know the Mariah inclusion may be contentious, but the instrumentation and her delivery lends itself better to this category).

R&B Performance:

“A No No” – Mariah Carey
    “Trip” – Ella Mai
    “Talk” – Khalid
    “Commitment” – Monica

R&B Song:

“With You” – Mariah Carey
    “Hard Place” – H.E.R
    “Orbit” – NAO
    “RPG” – Kehlani f/6lack
    “Trip” – Ella Mai  (It just has to go to Ella Mai – it has a universal appeal, though the scandal with Jacquees could overshadow it, in which case I’d give it to either H.E.R or Kehlani)

R&B Album:

Dancing Shadows – Mario
    Ella Mai – Ella Mai
    Caution – Mariah Carey (it’s generated the most acclaim out of all the other albums + did similar numbers, sales-wise, to Ella Mai’s album).
    You’re the Man – Marvin Gaye
    Shea Butter Baby – Ari Lennox

Urban Contemporary Album:

When I Get Home – Solange (such a stunning album, arguably the most diverse and critically acclaimed!)
    LEGACY! LEGACY! – Jamila Woods
    Free Spirit – Khalid
    While We Wait – Kehlani
    Ventura – Anderson.Paak

Best Rap-Sung Performance:

“RPG” – Kehlani f/ 6lack
    “Giving Me Life” – Mariah Carey f/ Slick Rick and Blood Orange (The cultural relevance of this collab cannot be understated + there was a lot of controversy in the indie scene surrounding Blood Orange’s Negro Swan being shut out of nominations last year)
    Almeda – Solange f/ Playboi Carti
    Sunflower – Post Malone and Swae Lee

I honestly see Mariah sweeping the R&B Categories this year. I have to admit, I was never a fan of hers and didn’t really get the hype, but Caution has been on repeat in my playlist since its release. I feel as though When I Get Home is a solid album, but it doesn’t have the same buzz as A Seat at the Table did. Ari Lennox could end up doing what H.E.R did last year. Ella Mai’s “Trip” has to take home an award, regardless of what it is!

ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsLover
    Participant
    Topics:

Mariah AIN’T happening. She will get 1 nomination for Best R&B/Urban Contemporary Album and will lose it to Beyonce/Solange/Khalid/Lizzo/Anderson .Paak. Stop dreaming!

ReplyCopy URL
    leothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopefully Jhene releases the album before the deadline. It’s a travesty that Souled Out or Trip didn’t get any Grammy noms.

Pencil in Triggered into R&B Performance and or Song so long. Whew!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 127 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.