Home Forums Music Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 151 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Gucci
DC95
circa 1993
  • circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

“GTFO” was submitted last year to the R&B Field. Great song! But it won’t be eligible.

“Caution” is by definition an Urban Contemporary Album because it contains elements of R&B, Pop, & Hip-Hop.

If they submit Mariah to R&B Album simply because she’s over 40 years old, then that would be incredibly ageist.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  circa 1993.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  circa 1993.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m skeptical of Chris Brown getting any nominations this year simply because there’s been a lot of talk recently about his past bad behavior, ie Chvrches calling out Marshmello for working with him, or the criticism Justin Bieber got just a few days ago for praising him.

Chris Brown got a nomination for Graffiti, his worst reviewed album right after the Rihanna incident where radio stopped playing his music. No one cares about Chvrches or Justin Bieber in R&B/urban music. Besides, he won a Grammy after the Rihanna incident.

If Chris doesn’t get nominated, it would have more to do with the fact that his music has been declining with voters for years now, similar to Alicia Keys and Usher. There are too many upcoming urban contemporary acts to keep name checking Chris Brown every year.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Chris had a comeback/redemption narrative in 2011/2012 that was largely effective. Nowadays, we are living in a culture where shining a spotlight on his past offenses heavily hurts him.

I think that, as well as the factors you mentioned, will lead to him not being nominated this year.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  DC95.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  DC95.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Chris had a comeback/redemption narrative in 2011/2012 that was largely effective. Nowadays, we are living in a culture where shining a spotlight on his past offenses heavily hurts him.

I think that, as well as the factors you mentioned, will lead to him not being nominated this year.

So, there was a comeback narrative when Graffiti was nominated? No.

There’s no backlash towards Chris Brown. Chvrches doesn’t matter, and the only reason people were mad at Justin is because he called Chris a “legend” and the best performer of our generation. Nothing to do with 2009.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Nope, I saw a bunch of people that included Chris Brown being a past abuser as a reason to be upset at what Justin Bieber said.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Mariah Carey’s last album was submitted to Best R&B Album and it contained the same elements (R&B, Pop, & Hip-Hop).

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, “Me. I Am. Mariah…” was sonically more R&B than “Caution” though.

Songs like “#Beautiful”, “Cry”, “You Don’t Know What to Do”, “You’re Mine (Eternal)” are NOT Urban.

Songs like “A No No”, “Giving Me Life”, “Stay Long Love You” ARE. There is an obvious difference between the two albums.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

They assess it based on what the majority of the album is; i.e. Toni Braxton’s album had some dance/pop songs but was still placed in R&B Album.

There is a pop song or two on Caution and it does have some more contemporary influence, but it seems like there’s a difference between the old Contemporary R&B Album category and the current Urban Contemporary Album one, in that the new R&B Album allows for more contemporary styles of R&B while Urban Contemporary is for more sonically adventurous albums that push the limits of the genre. I don’t think Mariah fits that bill.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s no set rule for Urban or R&B. Fantasia and Tamar were nominated against Rihanna in Urban, and their albums were just as R&B as any of their other albums. Mary’s London Sessions was mostly European dance, but it was allowed in R&B Album. The panel allows the flip flop. They’ve been doing it since they had two R&B Album categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

I mean the Grammys Committee can always switch submissions between categories if they want so I’m sure it won’t affect anything. I think she’ll probably end up submitting Caution for Best R&B Album – Mariah probably doesn’t view her own album as Urban Contemporary, but the Recording Academy could end up switching her anyways.  She really does deserve at least a nomination for Best R&B Album or Best Urban Contemporary Album.

I think ‘With You’ has a shot at nabbing a nomination for ‘Best Traditional R&B Performance’ and/or ‘Best R&B Song’ if it was submitted- it was a top ten hit on the AC and Urban AC charts and got rave reviews by critics for its lyrical content and delivery. It does feel very ‘Long as I Live’-esque too in terms of its appeal so who knows…

A living legend like Mariah putting out an album like Caution 30 years into their career is rare indeed. It’d be a travesty if it wasn’t at least nominated for 2020.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

With You would go R&B, not Traditional. If anything from the album is Traditional, it would be Portrait and even that is questionable.

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

If Toni could get nominated for Sex and Cigarettes, Mariah can get nominated for Caution. If she nabs the nomination for Best Traditional R&B Performance, it’s a guaranteed win in my opinion (like let’s be honest, who else is going to perform an R&B Song better than the Queen of R&B herself!)

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

With You would go R&B, not Traditional. If anything from the album is Traditional, it would be Portrait and even that is questionable.

To be honest, I think the instrumentation behind With You (the heavy piano chords and the light string accents) lends itself better to Traditional R&B rather than just R&B. The way she delivers the song itself is very reminiscent of Classical R&B as well, with it building up in intensity towards a fully belted climax (and whistle notes).

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on what has been nominated in both categories in the past, I think the production is too contemporary (particularly the synthesized percussion) and the song will be categorized accordingly.

There’s also a chance Mariah’s label enters the song in Pop Solo, banking on its success at pop adult contemporary radio, which I doubt would be contested.

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s also a chance Mariah’s label enters the song in Pop Solo, banking on its success at pop adult contemporary radio, which I doubt would be contested.

Her label is so idiotic it probably would too! They’re the only people who haven’t realised that Mariah hasn’t made a ‘Pop’ album since 1993. Even the albums before that are technically Contemporary R&B based on their massive influence on the genre. Mariah has always been an R&B artist and if her label submit her into Pop categories, they’re just setting themselves up for failure.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.