Home Forums Music Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

Lets talk R&B Grammy 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
50 years ago
( +24 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
Why U So Obse..
cheyenne lee
  • PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

All this Mariah love is wishful thinking.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

I can see Mariah getting an album nomination and that’s at an absolute push. She will most likely receive nothing.

ReplyCopy URL
    The Coterie
    Participant
    Topics:

Hi, I’m new here so I’ll throw my two cents into this discussion based on what I’ve seen.

1/ There seems to be a lot of discussion regarding Mariah’s latest album on this thread. I’m not her biggest fan, but I enjoyed it immensely. No one can deny that its a v. distinctive record – it pushes a lot of boundaries in terms of the fact it incorporates a lot of electronic and rock music into its songs. I don’t know why people are doubting her getting a couple of nominations. From what I’ve seen, it was one of the best-selling + most acclaimed R&B albums by a female artist in the eligible period. It should be submitted for Best R&B Album rather than Urban Contemporary – I think it’d fare much better there in competition to albums that sold less and received less acclaim (like Ella Mai’s album, which a lot of y’all think is a frontrunner). From what I’ve researched, its score on Metacritic doesn’t accurately reflect the acclaim it has gotten from some pretty high profile publications (e.g. The Atlantic, Billboard, PAPER Magazine (listed it as #1 on the list of their year-end albums). I was sceptical at first, but upon reading the reviews, I’m certain it’ll be rewarded in some way at the Grammys this year.  If Toni Braxton can secure a nomination with an album as underwhelming as Sex and Cigarettes, it’d be ludicrous to suggest Mariah couldn’t do it with an album as acclaimed as Caution.

2/ It would be a crime if Solange didn’t go home with any Grammys. Someone was commenting on the fact that A Seat at the Table generated more acclaim and discussion than her latest album, but you have to realise that Solange’s appeal as an artist is growing. I can see her or Anderson.Paak walking home with Best Urban Contemporary Album. They’ve rewarded Solange in the past though, so maybe Anderson.Paak could nab the win this year. I personally thought Solange’s album did a lot more than Anderson.Paak’s did in terms of the evolution of their musical styles.

3/ I don’t see H.E.R doing much this year. I think Ari Lennox has a chance at being the surprise front runner this year – Shea Butter Baby is just divine! I think Khalid is overrated af. He doesn’t deserve the Best R&B Album nomination, but will probably end up getting it based on the fact that it’s the most commercial one.

4/ Beyonce’s Homecoming won’t be nominated in any of the R&B categories. It’ll most likely be nominated in one of the Live Album categories because that is what it is: a live album containing a compilation of Beyonce’s Greatest Hits / prior material.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

.Paak is definitely the frontrunner in Urban Contemporary.

ReplyCopy URL
    The Coterie
    Participant
    Topics:

.Paak is definitely the frontrunner in Urban Contemporary.

What are your thoughts on the Mariah debate. I personally don’t feel that there is a debate; she’s guaranteed a nomination for at least something lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

R&B has generally been a weak field. A lot of the artists mentioned (when it comes down to it) did just as well commercially as Anderson.Paak, Solange and Mariah did, but fell short on the critical acclaim in comparison to these albums. A  couple of Mariah nominations isn’t wishful thinking, particularly when you look at the wider context of what’s going on in her career (a celebration of her legacy + more focus on her achievements as an artist, songwriter and producer as opposed to a commercial titan). It feels very reminiscent to what happened with Toni Braxton in 2014 when she “retired” from the music industry – she later won Best R&B Album with Babyface.

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

A lot of the talk about Mariah on this thread seems to have really ageist undertones. Someone here said that no one was “checking for her” enough and that Caution wouldn’t garner a nomination as a result. If no one was “checking for her”, why did her album sell more than most of the nominations listed here. Second of all, none of the other nominees here is actively touring as much and as lucratively as Mariah is. She may not be getting #1 singles like she used to, but she’s been keeping Caution in people’s minds enough for her to garner a couple of nominations. The gag is that she’s done all that and still gained more critical acclaim than most of the projects listed here…

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  cheyenne lee.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  cheyenne lee.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

What is with the influx of Mariah stans lately? Lol

Unless this is all one deranged lamb with multiple accounts, which… wouldn’t surprise me.

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

What is with the influx of Mariah stans lately? Lol Unless this is all one deranged lamb with multiple accounts, which… wouldn’t surprise me.

I’m not a Mariah stan. I’m just calling it as it is. The Grammys are meant to award artistic merit, which Mariah’s album is a display of. There’s not an “influx of lambs”. People just think her work deserves to be nominated. I don’t see why it shouldn’t be tbh

ReplyCopy URL
    The Coterie
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m just here for my girl Solange lol what’s the point in all this beef. It’s not like this discussion is gonna change anything. Mariah released an incredible album and it deserves a nomination. Whether or not it gets one is another story (and a matter of opinion)

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

The thing is, way more artists release music that is worthy of recognition than there are spots for nominations. This is true in every genre. I’m not saying Mariah isn’t deserving but the likelihood of her being a major factor in this year’s R&B races is unlikely given that she hasn’t been recognized by the Grammys in over a decade.

Trends can be broken and sure, she might get a nomination or 2 somewhere, but the notion that she will sweep the entire R&B field and even be nominated for Album of the Year, which has been pushed by certain users, is wishful thinking.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

Get real! Anderson. Paak is NOT the frontrunner in Best Urban Contemporary Album. Don’t be fooled by that little surprise Best Rap Performance win.

Do you think Monica will be nominated for R&B Album or Urban Contemporary?

ReplyCopy URL
    Mishtii Murari
    Participant
    Topics:

What is with the influx of Mariah stans lately? Lol Unless this is all one deranged lamb with multiple accounts, which… wouldn’t surprise me.

Hi, this is deranged lamb on the phone, how can I help you? 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

The thing is, way more artists release music that is worthy of recognition than there are spots for nominations. This is true in every genre. I’m not saying Mariah isn’t deserving but the likelihood of her being a major factor in this year’s R&B races is unlikely given that she hasn’t been recognized by the Grammys in over a decade. Trends can be broken and sure, she might get a nomination or 2 somewhere, but the notion that she will sweep the entire R&B field and even be nominated for Album of the Year, which has been pushed by certain users, is wishful thinking.

Someone brought up the fact that Toni was nominated in 2014, nearly 14 years after her last nomination. I understand what you’re saying, but what you’re saying is wrong. The Grammys don’t give a damn about how long an artist hasn’t been recognised for. I agree with what you’re saying about other artists being deserving. In my opinion, Mariah deserves it based on other R&B releases, but I’m certain someone will disagree with me and that’s okay. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Get real! Anderson. Paak is NOT the frontrunner in Best Urban Contemporary Album. Don’t be fooled by that little surprise Best Rap Performance win.

Maybe not the frontrunner, but he’s definitely one of the favorites, especially if Beyoncé is shut out.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.