Home Forums Music MTV Vídeo Music Awards 2020 – Predictions (Part 2)

MTV Vídeo Music Awards 2020 – Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 499 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
MoonEclipse00
gojoopedrocos..
CyberFunk
  • Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

And that’s not even a guarantee that the awards will be presented on the main show. I remember that FOB was there for their most recent win (for “Uma Thurman” maybe?) and they still had to accept the award on the red carpet. And 30STM was in the same situation back in 2013.

If I’m not mistaken, the last time the Rock award was presented on the main show was when Lorde won it… Like, I get that rock artists need to show up to have their award be given the time of day, but MTV doesn’t help matters by treating them like afterthoughts when they do show up lol

i tried finding a FLB pic with their trophy and the only i could find is them holding a cheap envelope with their names handwritten at the last minute.
    foo fighters accepted in 2011 and that mustve been really the last time a rock artist won there. the way MTV treats is just ridiculous not to give any rock artist 2 minutes on stage.

also the fact the 6 nominees this years are 2000s bands who are past their primes, so they dont even try finding current rock artists now lol

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

also the fact the 6 nominees this years are 2000s bands who are past their primes, so they dont even try finding current rock artists now lol

. While I disagree with u on some of them being past their prime (Green Day may be ending closer that way Since their new album is awful except for one song but fall out boy is far from fading out) I
    Agree 10000% that mtv puts no
    Effort into even trying to find newer rock music half the time. I have better luck with Sirius and pandora in that department.

Profile picture
    MoonEclipse00
    Topics:

I would have loved for MTV to dare to search for current talents in rock music

Profile picture
    MoonEclipse00
    Topics:

Do you know who would have been better nominated even without being mainstream? Oliver Tree and Joji

Profile picture
    MoonEclipse00
    Topics:

A personal wish for a nominee would have been The Jester by Badflower. I mean, the song is beautiful and the video had the potential to contend in Video for good

Profile picture
    Andresg770
    Topics:

i tried finding a FLB pic with their trophy and the only i could find is them holding a cheap envelope with their names handwritten at the last minute.
    foo fighters accepted in 2011 and that mustve been really the last time a rock artist won there. the way MTV treats is just ridiculous not to give any rock artist 2 minutes on stage.

Mess I just saw that picture of FOB and I can’t believe the GALL of the producers and Kelly Osbourne to give that card to them as a memento XD

Also, the ONLY video I can find of their win is a (cell phone?) recording of a TV on Dailymotion, and it’s titled “Fall Out Boy Wins 1st VMA” even though it was like their third or fourth at that point… Some fan lol

As for this year’s rock nominees, they’re kinda bittersweet for me. I love blink, Evanescence, and the Killers, but it’s not lost on me that their last nominations at the VMAs were in 2002, 2004, and 2005, respectively (if we don’t count the Killers’ random nod for Video for Good last year).

The return of the Best Alternative category really seems to have gutted the rock field of younger acts, with Twenty One Pilots, The 1975, Finneas, and Lana all going there. I wouldn’t be surprised if Imagine Dragons and P!ATD did, too, in the future.

I guess we can hope for the Black Keys and the Arctic Monkeys (and maybe Paramore?) to also find some success in the rock category in the coming years. But none of those acts is particularly “new,” either. Maybe MTV will discover Greta Van Fleet in the late 2020s *shrugs*

Profile picture
    MoonEclipse00
    Topics:

If the FOB thing was painful, what really angered me is that the only evidence of Bebe Rexha winning Best Dance Video was a low quality video on YouTube. Did Rita Ora have to announce her victory as a presenter? Was that a “tribute” to Avicii? (As disappointing as Chester is, I still think Mike should have given the speech and not Jared Leto) What really pisses me off about removing the EDM category is that there really were GREAT hits with good videos (Ride It, Higher Love, Roses) but he didn’t mind because the mainstream DJs weren’t active (And Marshmello started moving towards others genres)

Profile picture
    Andresg770
    Topics:

I forgot to say that whenever MTV does invite a token rock band to perform at the VMAs, it’s always to promote a lead/first or upcoming single. So when those videos inevitably get nominated (and maybe even win) the following year, the bands have no incentive to show up anymore.

This has happened with TOP, 30STM, and P!ATD. Panic! were the only ones to also be nominated the same year they performed (2018), but there was no way “Victorious” was winning that year — while “High Hopes,” which they performed in 2018 was a front-runner in 2019 (which of course they didn’t attend…).

Profile picture
    Andresg770
    Topics:

If the FOB thing was painful, what really angered me is that the only evidence of Bebe Rexha winning Best Dance Video was a low quality video on YouTube.

If it helps, MTV.com does have an HQ video of her win being announced: http://www.mtv.com/video-clips/ny18gm/vma-2019

But when the hell did this air?? I watched that pre-show last year and did NOT see her win. Did this happen during commercials? Or was it part of some online-exclusive red carpet live stream?

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    MoonEclipse00
    Topics:

I did not see the whole red carpet but I only remember that they transmitted Best Push and Best K-Pop and they are the ones that appear on the Wikipedia page. I just found the Song of summer announcement: http://www.mtv.com/video-clips/sxvozc/vma-2019

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

MTV is sleeping on vampire weekend, sam fender, and Taking Back Sunday. If they gave them more airtime on the station that plays music videos they would be huge or in the case of vampire weekend bigger than it already is

Profile picture
    Regina
    Topics:

Vampire Weekend & Sam Fender + VMAs = BARF!

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Vampire Weekend & Sam Fender + VMAs = BARF!

U only barfed at two out of the three which implies u actually liked taking back sunday.

Profile picture
    Andresg770
    Topics:

MTV is sleeping on vampire weekend, sam fender, and Taking Back Sunday. If they gave them more airtime on the station that plays music videos they would be huge or in the case of vampire weekend bigger than it already is

I never understood why Vampire Weekend never really had success on MTV’s channels except for mtvU… I’m guessing it’s a matter of timing. TBS was able to benefit from MTV2 still playing videos in the mid-2000s (which is why they got that MTV2 Award nod in 2006), while VW became popular at a time when both MTV2 and VH1 were scaling back their music programming.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘MTV Vídeo Music Awards 2020 – Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.