Home Forums Music Pop Field: 2020 Grammys

Pop Field: 2020 Grammys

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 503 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +37 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
Boz
OneAndOnly
  • OneAndOnly
    Participant
    Topics:

DWAS just went #1 on Overall Radio!!

And this

Co-billed #1 radio hits between a male and female soloist:
    • A Whole New World
    • My Boo
    • Empire State of Mind, Jay-Z & Alicia Keys
    • Finesse
    • Dancing with a Stranger

At least three of these songs have been nominated for grammys..

I will always love you

OneAndOnly
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, “Dancing With a Stranger” deserves ROTY/SOTY noms, especially in this shitfest of a year.

I would love to see it snatch SOTY/ROTY but I don’t wanna get too greedy, so for now I’m just shooting for that Pop Duo/Group but you are correct darling

I will always love you

Tasiandee
    Participant
    Topics:

Charli XCX ft Lizzo coming..

Noah Sims
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly, if Ariana submits Thank U, Next (song) for Pop solo. She’s going to get nominated and most likely win (as of now).

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Halsey should really release her album this year. She could easily win both Best Pop Solo and Best Pop Album.

Her song Nightmare is so refreshing. Finally a decent pop song that isn’t a basic trap beat.

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Halsey should really release her album this year. She could easily win both Best Pop Solo and Best Pop Album.

Her song Nightmare is so refreshing. Finally a decent pop song that isn’t a basic trap beat.

Some people are thinking that the album is going to be released in October because of some hints in the Nightmare video, and I can see that.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Some people are thinking that the album is going to be released in October because of some hints in the Nightmare video, and I can see that.

I don’t think so. A summer release is more likely. I doubt she’d release Nightmare this early if it was going to be released in October. Q4 is going to be a very busy season. Even Adele is rumored for Q4.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Explain to me how that’s supposed to work when last year’s Pop Album winner is back in the mix with an even more popular album, and when she was also nominated for Pop Solo while Halsey was not.

And the fact that Halsey has not previously been nominated for a Grammy for her own work.

Ariana is not only having a bigger year and bigger hits than Halsey, but she has a much better track record at the Grammys.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Explain to me how that’s supposed to work when last year’s Pop Album winner is back in the mix with an even more popular album, and when she was also nominated for Pop Solo while Halsey was not. And the fact that Halsey has not previously been nominated for a Grammy for her own work. Ariana is not only having a bigger year and bigger hits than Halsey, but she has a much better track record at the Grammys.

If it came down to “who won a grammy before” and “popular album”, Taylor Swift and not Ariana would’ve won last year. It doesn’t come down to that. Just because Ariana won a grammy doesn’t mean she’s some grammy darling right now (even Dua Lipa won two last year, and her hit GIAW lost to an album track so…). Sweetener was a Pharell-procuded album that ended up being the voters pick in a very weak lineup. The same isn’t guaranteed to happen (before you say OH it wasn’t weak. What I mean is that only her and Camilla Cabello scored nominations in both pop categories. So her competition was basically another poptart).

For starters there’s Billie Eillish who’s having a great year and can win. And Halsey can also win if the album is as good as Without Me and Nightmare. In fact I think that type of sound may appeal more to the voters than the others.

Without Me is one of the biggest hits of the year, had very good longevity and can easily win Best Pop Solo. There’s no denying that.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  M.
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana had been nominated for four Grammys prior to winning last year; Halsey has only been nominated twice, once as a technicality that wouldn’t count under today’s rules, and never for her own music. Flawed comparison.

And Reputation was an underperformance for Taylor’s standards, while Thank U, Next is not only bigger than Sweetener which won just this year, it’s the biggest album of Ariana’s career. Another flawed comparison.

Halsey could win in theory (anyone could), but let’s not act like it would be “easy” or that she would be the frontrunner just because you don’t like Ariana’s music. We ALL know that’s the reason you’re downplaying her, so please don’t try to pretend it’s not.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Darren.
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

The problem with the whole Halsey thing is that Ariana has everything Halsey has and even more.

Good sales?
    Huge album?
    Huge singles?
    Acclaim?

Billie at least has the edge on being a newer and fresher act. Halsey will get her noms as a consolation prize for a good year, but predicting a win when her album isn’t even properly announced is delusional.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana Grande is neither winning Pop Solo nor Pop Album this year. That’s my opinion as of right now. Unless she has a successful summer single or something, I don’t see it changing.

Thank U Next came and went. It isn’t particularly memorable and didn’t have good longevity. I mean Havana was #1 hit too and it lost last year. So I feel Best Pop Solo isn’t about commercial success anymore.

And in the album category, Ariana can win, but I see Billie Eillish as more likely right now (even if Halsey’s album sucks).

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Mind you, final voting takes place in December. I really can’t imagine the voters being excited about 2018’s Thank U Next unless they really like Ariana or if somehow finds a way to still remain prominent by then.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Mind you, final voting takes place in December. I really can’t imagine the voters being excited about 2018’s Thank U Next unless they really like Ariana or if somehow finds a way to still remain prominent by then.

They definitely like her enough to have 6 nominations in the Pop field, multiple on that same category, over bigger hits. Mind you her album is still in the top 5 of Billboard and she still has two top 20 singles as of right now.

Plus, what’s the logic? You yourself said in a past post that voters don’t simply “forget” about songs and albums. If they see something they like on the ballot, they’ll vote for it.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

They definitely like her enough to have 6 nominations in the Pop field, multiple on that same category, over bigger hits. Mind you her album is still in the top 5 of Billboard and she still has two top 20 singles as of right now. Plus, what’s the logic? You yourself said in a past post that voters don’t simply “forget” about songs and albums. If they see something they like on the ballot, they’ll vote for it.

And that’s what I said. If they really like her, they’ll vote for her submission however old it is by then. But I’m not sure they like her that much, but we’ll see.

I mean let’s stop pretending Thank U Next is her best album. Because I remember the day it was released, yourself and many others weren’t initially impressed until the critics review started popping up. Except that for me, critics reviews don’t change much. I thought the songs in the album are forgettable. I could’ve seen her winning easily this year if it was something like Dangerous Woman, but Thank U Next, I just don’t see it. She’s taken a left turn from the sound the voters usually like. We’ll see how that works out for her.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Pop Field: 2020 Grammys’ is closed to new replies.