Home Forums Music Rap Field: Grammys 2020

Rap Field: Grammys 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 255 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Why U So Obse..
Darren
Boz
  • Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Cardi B & Bruno Mars are a lock to win Best Rap/Sung Performance (as of today).

Both are recent winners & it was a Top 5 hit.

There could be potential spoilers based on the final list of nominees. But “Please Me” feels too obvious to ignore.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be surprised if that song was snubbed. It came and went, had no real stability or longevity, and it was basically payola all the way. Had it not been for radio it would’ve flopped completely.

Betting on Higher to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Please Me isn’t a lock for anything, really. Finesse, a more stable and legit hit, was left in the dust for nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

“Finesse” was only entered in Best Music Video. Whether the song was intentionally not entered or deemed ineligible is unclear.

But I don’t think “Please Me” is a lock, especially since it came and went, and “I Like It” being shut out of Rap/Sung this year is concerning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Get real! “Please Me” is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) Rap/Sung song so far this year. It may not have gone #1, but it got a lot of radio AirPlay and is certified Platinum.

Bruno is a Grammy favorite. Cardi is coming off her first, historic, win. It’s obvious that a nomination (and potential win) will happen.

Plus, the Rap field is weaker than Kim Burrell’s ankles in six inch heels. Name 5 other songs that can be nominated & win.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

“Wow” was bigger, “Old Town Road” was DEFINITELY bigger, Bruno also has another eligible song with “Wake Up in the Sky”.

“Tints” is a collaboration by two artists who beat Cardi in Best Rap Performance this year.

DJ Khaled’s “Higher” features John Legend (who is liked by Grammy voters) and the recently deceased Nipsey Hussle.

Lizzo is having a huge breakthrough year and could also be a factor in the category.

The rap field is brimming with contenders, so no, “Please Me” (which was extremely frontloaded) is not automatically a frontrunner because of its star-studded billing.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

‘Please Me’ is forgettable. A win ain’t happening.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Post Malone & Lil’ Nas X could submit to the Pop Field. It’s not inconceivable considering their major Top 40 success. “Better Now” was nominated in Pop Solo last year, so “Wow” could follow suit. Plus, a song featuring Billy Ray Cyrus more than likely won’t show up in “Rap” (just saying).

Lizzo is NOT winning Rap/Sung for any song she submits.

DJ Khaled needs to get nominated first before he wins. His last album produced a couple blockbuster singles, yet he was still omitted from Pop, R&B, & Rap Fields.

Anderson & Kendrick are Grammy bait. A nomination could happen. But it’s not a guaranteed win unless we see the official list of nominees.

So again…”Please Me” is the quintessential Rap/Sung song of 2019 so far. On paper, it’s a lock.

The list of contenders you listed could: A) be submitted to other genres
    B) not happen
    C) win depending on the final line up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

‘Please Me’ is forgettable. A win ain’t happening.

Get real! 2019 is a forgettable year. There are no strong contenders. A Rap/Sung hit featuring the Top Female Rapper and Top R&B Male Artist could easily win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

“Better Now” was in pop because it is a pop song. “Wow” will be in either Rap Performance or Rap/Sung Performance (most likely the latter) just like “Rockstar” was in the latter.

We’ll see what NARAS does with “Old Town Road”, but the correct placement would be rap/sung, and despite some of the stunts they’ve pulled with crossover rap records, classing it as a pop song would be a massive stretch.

You’re also forgetting that Cardi was completely shut out of Rap/Sung last year with one of the year’s biggest hits.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Cardi was shut out but she still won the biggest category in the Rap Field (which is hard to do. Not everyone has that to their credit).

Her win was historic and made headlines. And let’s not forget, IOP was an AOTY nominee & “I Like It” got in ROTY. So the support was there.

“I Like It” probably faced genre confusion and bias because most of the song is in Spanish. In the history of Rap/Sung, there has never been a song like “I Like It” (featuring two Latin artists) nominated in that category.

“Please Me” is more conventional. Let’s not forget that Bruno is also a Grammy favorite. You don’t sweep the R&B / General Field for no reason.

“24K Magic” didn’t go #1 and felt like old news. But … it still won ROTY. Just saying.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Higher sounds like a winning song. John Legend is well liked (remember when he and Kanye scored a nom with that Big Sean piano ballad despite flopping?), and DJ Khaled is also somewhat liked. Nipsey Hussle’s death has been very, very big in the rap community; you still find artists talking about it. That song screams Grammy winner. I wouldn’t even rule it out of SOTY.

Wow is definitely a frontrunner in Rap/Sung, with Tints following suit (It needs to actually that nom first for me to consider it the frontrunner).

Lizzo has massive hype and that song keeps rising up the charts. It got sent to radio yesterday, so I only expect it to get bigger. Wouldn’t rule her out so early.

Again, Please Me’s sales and streams are not very good for such a star-studded collab. It was not as big as Finesse or I Like It.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Sales & streams are not necessarily factors in winning a Grammy when you’re a superstar artist (I.e. Kendrick winning Rap/Sung for “These Walls”).

Sometimes a song/album can win based on name recognition. Cardi & Bruno are two of the biggest acts in music. “Please Me” was big enough to be rewarded. Less successful tracks have won (“No Church in the Wild”).

So in an extremely weak year, PM is a legitimate contender.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Sales & streams are not necessarily factors in winning a Grammy when you’re a superstar artist (I.e. Kendrick winning Rap/Sung for “These Walls”).

Sometimes a song/album can win based on name recognition. Cardi & Bruno are two of the biggest acts in music. “Please Me” was big enough to be rewarded. Less successful tracks have won (“No Church in the Wild”).

So in an extremely weak year, PM is a legitimate contender.

Cardi B is not Kendrick Lamar, nor is Bruno Mars. That win was mostly because they wanted him to sweep (plus it’s a phenomenal, praised song)

ReplyCopy URL
    Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Cardi B, Kendrick Lamar, & Bruno Mars are all superstars. There’s no denying that. Each have #1 smashes, Grammy award wins, AOTY nominations, and critical support.

Kendrick is the most respected of three. But that’s irrelevant to the topic.

Name recognition exists. We’ve seen high profile artists, in weak years, pull off victories.

Was “Everything Is Love” the biggest or greatest album nominated in Urban Contemporary? No. But it still won.

“Please Me” could benefit a lot from the artists involved and their good will.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 255 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.