Home Forums Music Rap Field: Grammys 2020

Rap Field: Grammys 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
circa 1993
DC95
Oz
  • Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Um, Everything is Love technically was the biggest album in that category in terms of sales. And name recognition for Beyoncé and Jay Z isn’t the same for Cardi B and Bruno Mars, especially the former. We all knew that was winning when Dirty Computer was snubbed there. Please Me is up against much bigger competition.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

Was “Everything Is Love” the biggest or greatest album nominated in Urban Contemporary?

Was it not??

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Um, lets not act like EIL was a blockbuster album. It didn’t even chart at #1 and sold very poorly compared to “Lemonade”.

The reason The Carters won was because of name recognition. Period. Beyoncé & JAY-Z are superstars. Their names carried more weight in a particularly weak line up.

What’s funny is that Cardi B actually won an extremely competitive category (the first ever for a solo Rap Female) in a stacked line up.

Many were predicting Travis Scott to win because ASTROWORLD was more recent and got considerably good reviews.

But who did the Academy chose? Cardi.

And if “Please Me” is up against such stiff contenders, then name them.

2019 is weaker than 2018. So I don’t see how a Top 5 hit featuring two recent Grammy winners couldn’t win(?).

ReplyCopy URL
    Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

Um, lets not act like EIL was a blockbuster album. It didn’t even chart at #1 and sold very poorly compared to “Lemonade”.

The reason The Carters won was because of name recognition. Period. Beyoncé & JAY-Z are superstars. Their names carried more weight in a particularly weak line up.

What’s funny is that Cardi B actually won an extremely competitive category (the first ever for a solo Rap Female) in a stacked line up.

Many were predicting Travis Scott to win because ASTROWORLD was more recent and got considerably good reviews.

2019 is weaker than 2018. So I don’t see how a Top 5 hit featuring two recent Grammy winners couldn’t win(?).

Competition was already named. If it were by name recognition, why would Tints not be the locked winner? Kendrick has more rap cred and Grammy’s than both Cardi and Bruno, and Paak was against Cardi last year.

Sidenote, Everything Is Love might’ve flopped, but it was definitely the biggest album there. Beyoncé has lost this category before, so name recognition ain’t the only important thing there.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

That is NOT competition LOL. None of those songs are a sure thing or even bigger than “Please Me”. It’s an INCREDIBLY weak year! Rap/Sung 2018 >> Rap/Sung 2019.

This time last year we had “I Like It”, “All the Stars”, & “This Is America”.

As I said before, some of those songs may not even be submitted into the Rap Field. Some may not be nominated. Some may not benefit until the official nominees are announced.

So until NuCat reveals submissions, “Please Me” is my current prediction. I supported my ideas with facts. Not biased opinions. Cardi & Bruno can win.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

If “I Like It” got snubbed, then “Please Me” is not a sure bet for a nomination. People keep forgetting about the rap panel.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

And Cardi was THE frontrunner for Best Rap Album. Travis Scott was NOT heavily predicted as the frontrunner, only the spoiler. Her competition was way weaker in Best Rap Album.

Still, Cardi lost Rap Performance to Anderson. Paak AND Kendrick Lamar & company and didn’t even muster a nomination in Best Rap/Sung. So, no. She’s not a “lock,” and there’s no need to give Bruno another Grammy Award.

Talking about you support your ideas with facts, but thinks a song that came and went is a “lock” to win Best Rap/Sung despite the competition from Grammy favorites and a massive sentimental favorite. But then again, you thought Rihanna would sweep the R&B field two years ago (and thought “This Is What You Came For” was a lock to win Dance Recording but didn’t even get nominated), and she won zilch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

What is this revisionist history? We knew from jump that Cardi was taking Rap Album. That was one of the most locked categories we had. They purposely snubbed Drake and Kendrick so that she would have a better chance at winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    The Coterie
    Participant
    Topics:

The amount of excuses ppl make for Everything is Love not doing well commercially is laughable. A joint Jay Z x Beyonce album has been hyped since 2003 – they even did the OTR tour together. You have two of the biggest stars in their respective fields on one album. The reason it won UC is obvious (a consolation prize for Lemonade being snubbed for AOTY)

ReplyCopy URL
    aQuan
    Participant
    Topics:

Goldlink has gotten like 2 Grammy noms… in like 2 years… hoping he can snatch a third for something off of this project.. if not the project itself. I don’t know if critics will latch onto it.. but the eclectic sound is sorta up their alley.

ReplyCopy URL
    chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

7/4 predictions…

Best Rap Album:
    Chance the Rapper – TBA
    Tyler, the Creator – IGOR
    Rap or Go to the League – 2 Chainz
    Schoolboy Q – Crash Talk
    Meek Mill – Championships
    [21 Savage – I am > I Was, Mustard – Perfect Ten]

Best Rap Song:
    Going Bad – Meek Mill ft. Drake
    Higher – DJ Khaled ft. Nipsey Hussle and John Legend
    Middle Child – J.Cole
    Giannis – Freddie Gibbs & Madlib ft. Anderson.Paak
    Numb Numb Juice – Schoolboy Q

Best Rap Performance:
    Suge – DaBaby
    A Lot – 21 Savage ft. J.Cole
    The London – Young Thug ft. J.Cole and Travis Scott
    Act Up – City Girls
    Pure Water – Mustard & Migos
    [Go Loko – YG ft. Tyga and Jon Z, Clout – Offset ft. Cardi B]

Best Rap/Sung Performance:
    Truth Hurts – Lizzo
    Look Back At It – A Boogie wit da Hoodie
    Big Ole Freak – Megan Thee Stallion
    Please Me – Cardi B & Bruno Mars
    Wow. – Post Malone
    [EARFQUAKE – Tyler, the Creator, 24/7 – Meek Mill ft. Ella Mai]

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  chem_x.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  chem_x.
    ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

“Truth Hurts” isn’t eligible. It was released two years ago :/

ReplyCopy URL
    Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

“Truth Hurts” isn’t eligible. It was released two years ago :/

It’s part of an album released in 2019, so unless it had been submitted before, it’s still eligible.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

“Please Me” is far from a sure thing, especially if they nominate the DJ Khaled/Nipsey Hussle/John Legend song.

ReplyCopy URL
    Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:

“Please Me” is NOT getting any nominations. That song came and went.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.