Home Forums Music R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 231 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
replies
views
users
cheyenne lee
DC95
Get Real!
  • Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t even see Khalid getting in Urban Contemporary Album. I can think of 10 better albums that are more likely.

Urban Contemporary Album:

Homecoming: The Live Album – Beyoncé
    Apollo XXI – Steve Lacy
    Oxnard – Anderson. Paak
    When I Get Home – Solange
    LEGACY! LEGACY! – Jamila Woods
    Cuz I Love You – Lizzo
    Ella Mai – Ella Mai*
    While We Wait – Kehlani
    Caution – Mariah Carey*
    Ventura – Anderson . Paak*

* – could be submitted to R&B Album instead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Soul Searching by Bazzi will definitely end up slotted in Urban Contemporary. Hopefully it gets a nom.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Jamila Woods should be placed in R&B Album, easily.

And if Mariah or Ella Mai goes R&B, then Solange should as well. Her album is way more traditional than theirs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Khalid is getting in Best Urban Contemporary Album. You can bet your bottom dollar on that.

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a feeling they’re gonna snub Khalid from the genre-specific categories and give him an Album of the Year nomination (like what they did with Janelle Monae last year)

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Khalid should be snubbed across the board. He gave up the sound that made him unique and now became a Jason Derulo basically.

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Soul Searching by Bazzi will definitely end up slotted in Urban Contemporary. Hopefully it gets a nom.

I don’t see it happening. Urban Contemporary albums tend to be R&B/ Hip-Hop albums with pop influences. Soul Searching is Pop with R&B and Hip-Hop influences – he’s no different to someone like Ariana Grande.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see it happening. Urban Contemporary albums tend to be R&B/ Hip-Hop albums with pop influences. Soul Searching is Pop with R&B and Hip-Hop influences – he’s no different to someone like Ariana Grande.

I disagree. He consistently changes between semi-rap and rap flows and singing, his production os way more R&B, and he has more connections in the R&B hiphop world (6LACK, 21 Savage). He could be placed in Pop but that would be a total misplacement. He definitely fits into Urban Contemporary more than, let’s say, Khalid.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Lets be real. Bazzi will be placed in Pop because he’s white. If the album was created by a black artist it would go to Urban Contemporary.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Bazzi is as Pop as it gets. He says he’s not Pop to sound cooler and more unique, but in reality his music is just Pop. He’s another Post Malone.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Lets be real. Bazzi will be placed in Pop because he’s white. If the album was created by a black artist it would go to Urban Contemporary.

Oop

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Bazzi is as Pop as it gets. He says he’s not Pop to sound cooler and more unique, but in reality his music is just Pop. He’s another Post Malone.

Please listen to his album before making these statements.

Also, Post Malone shouldn’t have been in Pop. We all know why he was placed there.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Sure…

Urban Contemporary is meant to be a “modern” R&B, Pop influenced by R&B/Hip Hop(and the opposite) category. Bazzi will probably be moved to pop because he’s white and the same applies to Post Malone.

Rihanna, Beyoncé, The Weeknd are all POP and still were nominated and won that category. “Unapologetic” is just like those albums by Bazzi and Post Malone and it won. The only difference is their skin tone. They don’t want white people nominated because they don’t wanna risk another Macklemore controversy with the only white person nominated winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Sure… Urban Contemporary is meant to be a “modern” R&B, Pop influenced by R&B/Hip Hop(and the opposite) category. Bazzi will probably be moved to pop because he’s white and the same applies to Post Malone. Rihanna, Beyoncé, The Weeknd are all POP and still were nominated and won that category. “Unapologetic” is just like those albums by Bazzi and Post Malone and it won. The only difference is their skin tone. They don’t want white people nominated because they don’t wanna risk another Macklemore controversy with the only white person nominated winning.

In a perfect world, Bazzi would be nominated in Urban Contemporary, Lizzo and Khalid would be nominated in the Pop Categories. Sadly this is the Grammys we’re talking about, they like pigeonholing black artists in the R&B/ Urban Contemporary categories and keeping White artists in the pop categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Beerbongs & Bentleys did belong in pop. It was loaded with songs like “Better Now,” “Stay,” “Otherside,” “Blame It On Me,” “Jonestown,” “Over Now,” etc. that were not rap or R&B, and many of the “rap” songs leaned more on the pop side. Stoney was placed in Urban Contemporary Album, so the race argument is bullshit.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 231 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.