Home Forums Music R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 241 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
17 hours ago
replies
views
users
cheyenne lee
DC95
Get Real!
  • PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Depending on the placements, I see R&B Album looking close to this:
    PJ Morton, PAUL
    Solange, When I Get Home
    Ari Lennox, Shea Butter Baby
    Jamila Woods, Legacy! Legacy!
    Daniel Caesar, Case Study 01

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Depending on the placements, I see R&B Album looking close to this:
    PJ Morton, PAUL
    Solange, When I Get Home
    Ari Lennox, Shea Butter Baby
    Jamila Woods, Legacy! Legacy!
    Daniel Caesar, Case Study 01

no Ella Mai?

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

no Ella Mai?

Nope. I’m going out on limb. The album didn’t really do much critically or commercially and just came and went. I think she will be recognized for “Trip” instead.

I’m not sure why y’all believe her album will be in R&B. I think it could be placed in Urban Contemporary instead.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure why y’all believe her album will be in R&B. I think it could be placed in Urban Contemporary instead.

Urban Contemporary seems to be for more pop and/or hip-hop and/or experimental fare and her album is just straightforward R&B, almost a throwback R&B style (like ’90s or something) at that. I remember thinking Bruno Mars’s album could possibly be placed in R&B Album as well and people were all on my case saying it would be in either pop or urban contemporary, and well…

Her album is old but it did post good numbers, had three hits (one of which already won a Grammy), and was nominated for AOTY at the BET Awards; it just seems weird that it would be shut out.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Urban Contemporary seems to be for more pop and/or hip-hop and/or experimental fare and her album is just straightforward R&B, almost a throwback R&B style (like ’90s or something) at that. I remember thinking Bruno Mars’s album could possibly be placed in R&B Album as well and people were all on my case saying it would be in either pop or urban contemporary, and well…

Her album is old but it did post good numbers, had three hits (one of which already won a Grammy), and was nominated for AOTY at the BET Awards; it just seems weird that it would be shut out.

I don’t think Ella Mai’s music is “straight forward R&B.” Her music is not an obvious case like say… PJ Morton or Daniel Caesar. Besides, both Tamar Braxton and Fantasia Barrino were nominated in Urban Contemporary in 2014, and I would say they are more “straight forward R&B.” The Grammys have always allowed artists like those to flip flop those categories.

I also don’t get how it would be weird to shut Ella Mai out of the album category. The Grammy voters aren’t obligated to nominate her and I’m sure they can find five other deserving nominees. There have been bigger snubs there. Ella Mai is not some Grammy heavyweight either.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t say they were obligated to nominate her, or that she was a Grammy darling. I just think it would be a rather surprising snub given the year she’s had.

The R&B committee does all kinds of weird shit when it comes to snubbing frontrunners / seemingly obvious choices (Beyoncé, Solange, Janelle Monáe, etc.), though, so maybe you’re onto something.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I just think it would be a rather surprising snub given the year she’s had.

You make it seem like she has had a mega year. Let’s not overstate Ella Mai’s success. She has done well for herself, but she did not have an Alicia Keys debut era.

She has one big hit last year, which she was already nominated and won for. She had another song that did well, but was not quite as big as her Grammy winning one. And then she released another song that didn’t quite compare to either of her hit singles.

Ella Mai is snubbable (I know it’s not a word, but it sounded right. lol).

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Which Lizzo song will be sent to the R&B categories? I’m hoping she wins something.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Which Lizzo song will be sent to the R&B categories? I’m hoping she wins something.

Probably the title track.

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

They’re gonna put When I Get Home in Urban Contemporary, it’s just as sonically unconventional as something like Anderson Paak’s Ventura. I don’t understand why some of y’all want it in the R&B album Category

ReplyCopy URL
    Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

They’re gonna put When I Get Home in Urban Contemporary, it’s just as sonically unconventional as something like Anderson Paak’s Ventura. I don’t understand why some of y’all want it in the R&B album Category

Exactly. There’s nothing traditionally R&B about that album. Urban contemporary is where she’ll submit.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopefully they don’t nominate the Solange album at all. So overrated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Solange’s album is better than like 90% of the R&B contenders.

ReplyCopy URL
    Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Solange’s album is better than like 90% of the R&B contenders.

A bunch of sentences being repeated over some overproduced beat isn’t it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Solange’s album is trash with the exception of Stay Flo and that track where she mentions black molasses or some shit.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 241 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.