Home Forums Music R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 406 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +35 hidden )
replies
views
users
cheyenne lee
PoweR
Darren
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

When I Get Home is borderline unlistenable, and proof of how critics will just kiss trendy artists’ asses.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

It definitely isn’t trash, but it was a huge downgrade from A Seat at the Table.

Nah sis it’s trash.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

When I Get Home is borderline unlistenable, and proof of how critics will just kiss trendy artists’ asses.

That is exactly how I feel about Billie Eilish. That was funny.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, you bitches cream your pants over crap like A Star Is Born and Thank U, Next, but claim When I Get Home is garbage.

I can confidently say that both of those albums are much, much better than Solange’s.

When I Get Home is overly-praised. It is not A Seat at the Table, it goes absolutely nowhere lyrically, and it sounds like she made a 40 minute instrumental and free-styled over t.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

That is exactly how I feel about Billie Eilish.

Critics have every reason in the world to hate Billie Eilish. She’s a teenager whose primary audience is teenagers making pop music that mainstream audiences actually listen to.

On the other hand, everything Solange does is automatically seen as “important” just because her last album was really good. No album by any other artist where half the songs are one line repeated over and over would actually receive good reviews.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

On the other hand, everything Solange does is automatically seen as “important” just because her last album was really good. No album by any other artist where half the songs are one line repeated over and over would actually receive good reviews.

Things I, imagined
    ThiNgs I, iMagined
    ThiNgS I, iMaGined
    tHiNgS I, iMaGiNeD
    tHinGZ i, iMaGiNeD
    tHinGZ i, iMaGiNeD
    tHinGZ i, iMaGiNeD
    tHinGZ i, iMaGiNeD

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, once again you are delusional! If we go by Metacritic (which you girls believe is the end-all-be-all), When I Get Home has a higher score than A Star Is Born and Thank U, Next. Face it, Solange makes better albums than your precious poptart.

Just the fact that we’re comparing a “high art” political “concept” album fact to a movie soundtrack and a pop album created in 3 months…

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not gonna completely slander Solange, but this was a huge downgrade from A Seat at the Table, which didn’t even crank out an R&B OR Urban Contemporary album nomination, despte being the most critically acclaimed R&B album of that submissions period (besides Lemonade). The one nomination she got for Cranes in the Sky was based on the fact that it was an amazing song (and somewhat of a hit). So far, When I Get Home has (unsurprisingly) not generated a single song of that magnitude. Retrospectively, based on the facts, we’re collectively overhyping Solange’s chances at nabbing any nominations at all.

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, once again you are delusional! According to Metacritic (which you girls believe is the end-all-be-all), When I Get Home has a higher score than A Star Is Born and Thank U, Next. Face it, Solange makes better albums than your precious poptart.

Honey, at least you can actually listen to A Star Is Born and Thank U, Next without abusing the skip button or hearing some uncontextualized politically-charged lyric repeated over and over.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

When I Get Home is scattered and ambiguous but I liked it. It’s much more free spirited and actually encapsulates of what it means to be “out there”, unlike Billie Eilish who tries too hard with the whole weird schtick. It’s definitely not on the same level as A Seat At the Table but it’s still better than most of the contenders. She’d be an inspired nominee.

And I don’t agree with the sentiment that critics “would have every reason in the world to hate Billie” because she started off as this indie act (or rather under the disguise of one who was really pop mixed in with other sounds), which they usually take a liking to. Her videos are “artsy” and because it “sounds different”, they take it and run with it. She’s among the most overrated new acts in years.

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s definitely not on the same level as A Seat At the Table but it’s still better than most of the contenders. She’d be an inspired nominee.

I’m not saying that Solange wouldn’t be an inspired nominee, but all I’m saying is… if A Seat At the Table couldn’t even get an album nomination in the R&B or Urban Contemporary category, how can we expect When I Get Home to do it when it’s considered as a downgrade. The most I can see Solange doing is an R&B Performance nomination with ‘Almeda’, and even then its not exactly a performance, let alone a vocally demanding one

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

The year is weaker this time but I still don’t know. R&B panel is unpredictable. I’m not saying Solange is a lock or anything. And there’s no project this year that really seems like a hard hitting passion pick and she does have critical acclaim for this so it’s not like she can’t make it.

Radiogagahead
    Participant
    Topics:

Solange’s album is great. Deserves to be in AOTY too.

Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie Eillish’s album is much better than Solange. So I dont know where people are going with that comparison. Solange doesnt have a song as brilliantly written as “wish you were gay” or “when the party’s over” on her album. Sometimes we have to just call it as it is. She’s not someone that they HAVE TO nominate. Her album didnt make any waves outside the first week. There’s not one song on there that resonates that we can say THAT song defines R&B in 2019. Cranes in the Sky actually did that. It was different, it was fresh it was thought-provoking lyrically. She doesnt have that this year. Honestly, she should be snubbed.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Snoh Aalegra is could land a nomination or two.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 406 total)

The topic ‘R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two’ is closed to new replies.