Home Forums Music R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 406 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +35 hidden )
replies
views
users
cheyenne lee
PoweR
Darren
  • Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Wait…Billie Eilish is R&B? I’m so confused by the comparison.

And like most users are saying, Solange’s album is trash. She & Frank Ocean have two of the most overrated follow ups this decade.

Introspective R&B doesn’t always equate to good music. Halle & Chloe are another snooze fest act. So pretentious and self serious zzzzzz

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

Tasiandee
    Participant
    Topics:

Fantasia Ft T-Pain “PTSD” Friday August 23rd

Just in time to qualify for the grammys

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Fantasia Ft T-Pain “PTSD” Friday August 23rd Just in time to qualify for the grammys

T Pain? At the Grammys? On a song? In 2019? It must be 2009 again, what is this Fantasia hunny…

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t be surprised if When I Get Home was snubbed/ only nominated in the song categories, A Seat At The Table was only able to squeak out one r&b performance nomination/ win when it had 100x the sales/impact and more acclaim overall.

It’s been a weak year so who knows, but its obvious the Grammys don’t exactly view Solange as a darling since she wasn’t nominated for (more deserving) work prior to A Seat At The Table.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

T Pain? At the Grammys? On a song? In 2019? It must be 2009 again, what is this Fantasia hunny…

T-Pain has gotten a ton of support since winning Masked Singer, and he’s likely throwing away the autotune.

chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

R&B album is crowded as hell this year. I keep shuffling my choices around and can’t figure out if there’s a front runner

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

T Pain is actually a terrific singer. He used AutoTune to sound different from everybody else.

Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

T-Pain is talented asf! He became overexposed in the 2000s because every song was either produced, written by, or featured him.

But he can deliver a smash in 2019! A collaboration with Fantasia sounds interesting.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

Tasiandee
    Participant
    Topics:

I love the Fantasia and T-Pain song actually. PTSD is a nice departure from the sounds Fantasia usually brings to the table. I like that she decides to get a little dirty and let her hair down, have a little fun. T-Pain actually was a fantastic addition to the record and I wasn’t expecting it at all. This was a collab worked out very well.

chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

Is anyone putting Raphael Saadiq in R&B album? I had him hovering for a while, and now that Jimmy Lee‘s out I’d feel dumb not including him.

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Is anyone putting Raphael Saadiq in R&B album? I had him hovering for a while, and now that Jimmy Lee‘s out I’d feel dumb not including him.

I can see it happening to be honest, critics are calling it his best album thus far

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

current predictions: album categories (with some general comments about each predicted nominee)  (* next to my top 3)

Best R&B Album

1/ Ella Mai – Ella Mai (Ella is arguably the biggest r&b singer at the moment, the album was well recieved critically (but didn’t get rave reviews). It’s carried by two undeniable r&b hits that were smashes on the Urban AC charts. The album itself is still charting on the R&B Sales Chart and has been doing so for nearly 40 weeks. Its the most commercially successful R&B album on this list, which potentially makes up for critical shortcomings.) *

2/ Raphael Saadiq – Jimmy Lee (Critics are calling Jimmy Lee Raphael’s best album, it may not do well commercially but judging by the critical reception and the artist’s past clout with the Grammys, it could nab a nomination. There is a potent narrative to his nomination; its his first release to really discuss the singer’s own struggles with addiction, he would be an inspired nominee.) *

3/ Ari Lennox – Shea Butter Baby (A stunning, stunning debut from an upcomer in r&b, the title track was a moderate hit on Urban AC radio, the album was recieved well critically. )

4/ Mariah Carey – Caution (though a commercial flop by Mariah’s standards, the record is one of the best selling projects to be released by a solo female r&b artist during the submissions period. Its been charting on the R&B sales chart for about 37 weeks. Critics were RAVING about the album, calling it an artistic comeback. With You was a huge hit on Urban AC radio. Like Raphael Saadiq, there’s a potent narrative attached to a Mariah nomination, seeing as though she’s pushed through personal and proffessional struggles (see Mariah’s World, NYE, her bipolar announcement, management troubles, overall sexism and ageism in the music industry etc) and delivered an amazing album, It would be an inspired nominee.) *

5/ PJ Morton – PAUL (The committee seem to take to PJ Morton’s projects, and I don’t think this is going to stop with PAUL. The album was very well recieved critically and would be a good low-key nomination).

(LEGACY! LEGACY! could potentially sneak in and edge out Ari Lennox based on its acclaim, but the album is so lowkey there’s no way in telling whether the committee will pick it)

Urban Contemporary Album

1/ Lizzo – Cuz I Love You (There’s so much about this album that makes it a guaranteeed nominee. Its been critically acclaimed, has sold amazingly and has generated a huge multi-chart impacting hit (‘Truth Hurts’). There’s a huge narrative attached to a Lizzo nomination – a plus-size black woman having one of the biggest comeups in the music industry this year against the odds of sexism. An inspired nominee.)  *

2/ Anderson.Paak – Ventura (Arguably one of the most sonically progressive urban albums of the past year, its generated a lot of acclaim and has sold moderately well. Its been carried by a huge Urban AC hit (Make It Better) and I’d be surprised if it wasn’t nominated.). *

3/ Solange – When I Get Home (I personally hated this album, it was a huge downgrade from A Seat At the Table, but that being said, its been a weak year and the album has generated a tonne of acclaim so it will more than likely be nominated. It may be as sonically progressive as Ventura, but its 1000x less listenable as a project. Not sure how the committee will take to it, but as I said, its been a weak year.)

4/ Khalid – Free Spirit (Its the most commercially successful ‘R&B’ (*cough* pop *cough*) album of the year, has generated the most hits, which probably makes up for the lukewarm critical reception. The awards that tend to win in the Urban Contemporary are the most commercially successful nominees. Whether that holds true this year is up for debate, but based on the information, Free Spirit is a lock for a nomination)*

5/ Goldlink – Diaspora (THIS. HONESTLY. DESERVES. The committee seem to like Goldlink and the project has generated a considerable amount of acclaim so a nomination isn’t unlikely).

(Beyonce is not getting any album nominations this year, get over it)

chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

current predictions: album categories (with some general comments about each predicted nominee) (* next to my top 3)

Best R&B Album

1/ Ella Mai – Ella Mai (Ella is arguably the biggest r&b singer at the moment, the album was well recieved critically (but didn’t get rave reviews). It’s carried by two undeniable r&b hits that were smashes on the Urban AC charts. The album itself is still charting on the R&B Sales Chart and has been doing so for nearly 40 weeks. Its the most commercially successful R&B album on this list, which potentially makes up for critical shortcomings.) *

2/ Raphael Saadiq – Jimmy Lee (Critics are calling Jimmy Lee Raphael’s best album, it may not do well commercially but judging by the critical reception and the artist’s past clout with the Grammys, it could nab a nomination. There is a potent narrative to his nomination; its his first release to really discuss the singer’s own struggles with addiction, he would be an inspired nominee.) *

3/ Ari Lennox – Shea Butter Baby (A stunning, stunning debut from an upcomer in r&b, the title track was a moderate hit on Urban AC radio, the album was recieved well critically. )

4/ Mariah Carey – Caution (though a commercial flop by Mariah’s standards, the record is one of the best selling projects to be released by a solo female r&b artist during the submissions period. Its been charting on the R&B sales chart for about 37 weeks. Critics were RAVING about the album, calling it an artistic comeback. With You was a huge hit on Urban AC radio. Like Raphael Saadiq, there’s a potent narrative attached to a Mariah nomination, seeing as though she’s pushed through personal and proffessional struggles (see Mariah’s World, NYE, her bipolar announcement, management troubles, overall sexism and ageism in the music industry etc) and delivered an amazing album, It would be an inspired nominee.) *

5/ PJ Morton – PAUL (The committee seem to take to PJ Morton’s projects, and I don’t think this is going to stop with PAUL. The album was very well recieved critically and would be a good low-key nomination).

(LEGACY! LEGACY! could potentially sneak in and edge out Ari Lennox based on its acclaim, but the album is so lowkey there’s no way in telling whether the committee will pick it)

Urban Contemporary Album

1/ Lizzo – Cuz I Love You (There’s so much about this album that makes it a guaranteeed nominee. Its been critically acclaimed, has sold amazingly and has generated a huge multi-chart impacting hit (‘Truth Hurts’). There’s a huge narrative attached to a Lizzo nomination – a plus-size black woman having one of the biggest comeups in the music industry this year against the odds of sexism. An inspired nominee.) *

2/ Anderson.Paak – Ventura (Arguably one of the most sonically progressive urban albums of the past year, its generated a lot of acclaim and has sold moderately well. Its been carried by a huge Urban AC hit (Make It Better) and I’d be surprised if it wasn’t nominated.). *

3/ Solange – When I Get Home (I personally hated this album, it was a huge downgrade from A Seat At the Table, but that being said, its been a weak year and the album has generated a tonne of acclaim so it will more than likely be nominated. It may be as sonically progressive as Ventura, but its 1000x less listenable as a project. Not sure how the committee will take to it, but as I said, its been a weak year.)

4/ Khalid – Free Spirit (Its the most commercially successful ‘R&B’ (*cough* pop *cough*) album of the year, has generated the most hits, which probably makes up for the lukewarm critical reception. The awards that tend to win in the Urban Contemporary are the most commercially successful nominees. Whether that holds true this year is up for debate, but based on the information, Free Spirit is a lock for a nomination)*

5/ Goldlink – Diaspora (THIS. HONESTLY. DESERVES. The committee seem to like Goldlink and the project has generated a considerable amount of acclaim so a nomination isn’t unlikely).

(Beyonce is not getting any album nominations this year, get over it)

Our predictions are nearly identical. The only difference is Lucky Daye instead of Mariah… which really pains me. I hope she still makes it. I’m keeping her in R&B Song/Performance but maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

Or maybe I need to keep Mariah in album, and put Lucky Daye/Roll Some Mo in Song. Hmmm.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  chem_x.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  chem_x.
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Our predictions are nearly identical. The only difference is Lucky Daye instead of Mariah… which really pains me. I hope she still makes it. I’m keeping her in R&B Song/Performance but maybe that’s just wishful thinking. Or maybe I need to keep Mariah in album, and put Lucky Daye/Roll Some Mo in Song. Hmmm.

Her track record isn’t all that great so I don’t know, it depends on how the committee feel about her this year. I personally think she can nab a nomination but that’s just me, others may have a different opinion.

(PS: I think Lucky Daye could nab a song nomination)

chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

New HDD article about possible Rap/R&B noms: http://m.hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=317680&title=HIP-HOP-AND-R&B-GRAMMY-FAVORITES

I’ve been thinking about adding Steve Lacy but idk where to place him. The R&B categories are super crowded this year.

The article also suggests Normani could be up for BNA which makes no sense to me. However I do think her buzz/momentum could lead to a nomination for Waves in R&B performance, aside from anything Dancing With A Stranger is getting.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 406 total)

The topic ‘R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two’ is closed to new replies.