Home Forums Music R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 241 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
18 hours ago
replies
views
users
cheyenne lee
DC95
Get Real!
  • 24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I love how mysterious this category is now. We literally have zero clue what direction the judging panel will go in, where as back in the day when the nominees were determined by popular vote, we’d pretty much know who was getting nom’d.

Beyoncé, Khalid, Solange, Chris Brown, Lizzo and Ella Mai (and maybe even H.E.R.) would have all been close-to locks for noms. Now, potentially all of them could be snubbed (at least in certain categories, if not completely).

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

All of those artists will probably be nominated in at least one R&B category except Chris Brown, who I could see being snubbed. He’s obviously been nominated (and has won) since the Rihanna incident, but with renewed focus on R. Kelly’s sexual assault allegations this year, the committee will surely take note of his history with women (which also includes a recent rape accusation). And they completely ignored his last 2 albums.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Solange’s album is trash

It definitely isn’t trash, but it was a huge downgrade from A Seat at the Table.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

When I Get Home is borderline unlistenable, and proof of how critics will just kiss trendy artists’ asses.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

It definitely isn’t trash, but it was a huge downgrade from A Seat at the Table.

Nah sis it’s trash.

ReplyCopy URL
    Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, you bitches cream your pants over crap like A Star Is Born and Thank U, Next, but claim When I Get Home is garbage. You’ll only find bullshit like this on Goldderby. 😲

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

When I Get Home is borderline unlistenable, and proof of how critics will just kiss trendy artists’ asses.

That is exactly how I feel about Billie Eilish. That was funny.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, you bitches cream your pants over crap like A Star Is Born and Thank U, Next, but claim When I Get Home is garbage.

I can confidently say that both of those albums are much, much better than Solange’s.

When I Get Home is overly-praised. It is not A Seat at the Table, it goes absolutely nowhere lyrically, and it sounds like she made a 40 minute instrumental and free-styled over t.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

That is exactly how I feel about Billie Eilish.

Critics have every reason in the world to hate Billie Eilish. She’s a teenager whose primary audience is teenagers making pop music that mainstream audiences actually listen to.

On the other hand, everything Solange does is automatically seen as “important” just because her last album was really good. No album by any other artist where half the songs are one line repeated over and over would actually receive good reviews.

ReplyCopy URL
    Get Real!
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, once again you are delusional! According to Metacritic (which you girls believe is the end-all-be-all), When I Get Home has a higher score than A Star Is Born and Thank U, Next. Face it, Solange makes better albums than your precious poptart.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

On the other hand, everything Solange does is automatically seen as “important” just because her last album was really good. No album by any other artist where half the songs are one line repeated over and over would actually receive good reviews.

Things I, imagined
    ThiNgs I, iMagined
    ThiNgS I, iMaGined
    tHiNgS I, iMaGiNeD
    tHinGZ i, iMaGiNeD
    tHinGZ i, iMaGiNeD
    tHinGZ i, iMaGiNeD
    tHinGZ i, iMaGiNeD

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, once again you are delusional! If we go by Metacritic (which you girls believe is the end-all-be-all), When I Get Home has a higher score than A Star Is Born and Thank U, Next. Face it, Solange makes better albums than your precious poptart.

Just the fact that we’re comparing a “high art” political “concept” album fact to a movie soundtrack and a pop album created in 3 months…

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not gonna completely slander Solange, but this was a huge downgrade from A Seat at the Table, which didn’t even crank out an R&B OR Urban Contemporary album nomination, despte being the most critically acclaimed R&B album of that submissions period (besides Lemonade). The one nomination she got for Cranes in the Sky was based on the fact that it was an amazing song (and somewhat of a hit). So far, When I Get Home has (unsurprisingly) not generated a single song of that magnitude. Retrospectively, based on the facts, we’re collectively overhyping Solange’s chances at nabbing any nominations at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, once again you are delusional! According to Metacritic (which you girls believe is the end-all-be-all), When I Get Home has a higher score than A Star Is Born and Thank U, Next. Face it, Solange makes better albums than your precious poptart.

Honey, at least you can actually listen to A Star Is Born and Thank U, Next without abusing the skip button or hearing some uncontextualized politically-charged lyric repeated over and over.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

When I Get Home is scattered and ambiguous but I liked it. It’s much more free spirited and actually encapsulates of what it means to be “out there”, unlike Billie Eilish who tries too hard with the whole weird schtick. It’s definitely not on the same level as A Seat At the Table but it’s still better than most of the contenders. She’d be an inspired nominee.

And I don’t agree with the sentiment that critics “would have every reason in the world to hate Billie” because she started off as this indie act (or rather under the disguise of one who was really pop mixed in with other sounds), which they usually take a liking to. Her videos are “artsy” and because it “sounds different”, they take it and run with it. She’s among the most overrated new acts in years.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 241 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.