Home Forums Music R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 406 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +35 hidden )
replies
views
users
cheyenne lee
PoweR
Darren
  • abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Steve Lacy is in my R&B Album prediction. Apollo XXI was brilliant.

24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

New HDD article about possible Rap/R&B noms: http://m.hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=317680&title=HIP-HOP-AND-R&B-GRAMMY-FAVORITES

I’ve been thinking about adding Steve Lacy but idk where to place him. The R&B categories are super crowded this year.

The article also suggests Normani could be up for BNA which makes no sense to me. However I do think her buzz/momentum could lead to a nomination for Waves in R&B performance, aside from anything Dancing With A Stranger is getting.

HitsDailyDouble always makes stupid predictions/suggestions for the Grammys and don’t always seem aware of the rules… or else they wouldn’t have suggested that Normani could be eligible for Best New Artist when her bandmate from Fifth Harmony (Camilia Cabello) wasn’t last year.

I’m not sure why they brought up certain artists like Rosalia (who I love) who will probably not even submit any of her LATIN songs in the R&B category, lol. They also seem to think Post Malone’s “Sunflower” will get an R&B nomination. Okay.

It would have been nice had they gone a little deeper into both genre categories (separately) and their potential contenders. Oh well.

chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

HitsDailyDouble always makes stupid predictions/suggestions for the Grammys and don’t always seem aware of the rules… or else they wouldn’t have suggested that Normani could be eligible for Best New Artist when her bandmate from Fifth Harmony (Camilia Cabello) wasn’t last year.

I’m not sure why they brought up certain artists like Rosalia (who I love) who will probably not even submit any of her LATIN songs in the R&B category, lol. They also seem to think Post Malone’s “Sunflower” will get an R&B nomination. Okay.

It would have been nice had they gone a little deeper into both genre categories (separately) and their potential contenders. Oh well.

Yeah, I take their articles with a grain of salt. I’ll never forget Paul insisting that Harry Styles would get nominated in all of the general categories lmao.

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

These reviews for the new Raphael Saddiq album are no joke, the critics are LOVING it

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

H.E.R. is also back in the running with the compilation I Used to Know Her, released right at the end of eligibility.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

H.E.R. is also back in the running with the compilation I Used to Know Her, released right at the end of eligibility.

Definitely an R&B Album contender. Not sure about another AOTY nomination considering she’s still teasing her proper debut album.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Definitely an R&B Album contender. Not sure about another AOTY nomination considering she’s still teasing her proper debut album.

Probably not for AOTY. H.E.R. had more time to make an impression to warrant a surprise AOTY nomination. R&B is the safer bet. If they like her enough, they could give her a SOTY nomination for “Hard Place” instead.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

H.E.R. also released a cover of Foy Vance’s “Make It Rain” from Austin City Limits today, and it’s killer. It may be eligible for Traditional R&B Performance, American Roots Performance, or even Rock Performance.

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

The Deadline for Submissions is now officially CLOSED. What are everyone’s current predictions for the R&B Category (Album, Song, Performance)?

24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I will be mad if H.E.R. scores an album nomination for combining her EPs last minute before the Grammy cut-off.

Outside of the popular contenders (Khalid, Lizzo, Solange, etc), I really hope that Mariah Carey’s Caution is remembered by the R&B judging panel. It’s still one of the best of the year to me and stands out amongst a lot of the similarly sounding contemporary urban artists’ works. I do fear it will be forgotten though.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I will be mad if H.E.R. scores an album nomination for combining her EPs last minute before the Grammy cut-off.

She did the same thing with her last album that just won this year. And she still would have been eligible with the second EP, so I don’t see what the problem is.

kenboi99
    Participant
    Topics:

Are we consider “Before I Let Go” in R&B performance? Can be frontrunner. It is still getting played on radio.

Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

BILG could easily win Traditional if submitted.

R&B Performance may go to Anderson. Paak & Smokey Robinson. That’s Grammy bait ASF.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

The Deadline for Submissions is now officially CLOSED. What are everyone’s current predictions for the R&B Category (Album, Song, Performance)?

Urban Contemporary:
    Anderson .Paak – Ventura
    Goldlink – Diaspora
    Khalid – Free Spirit
    Lizzo – Cuz I Love You
    Solange – When I Get Home

R&B Album:
    Ari Lennox – Shea Butter Baby
    Mariah Carey – Caution
    PJ Morton – PAUL
    Raphael Saadiq – Jimmy Lee
    Steve Lacy – Apollo XXI
    [alt. Ella Mai – Ella Mai]

R&B Song:
    Ella Mai – Trip
    H.E.R. – Hard Place
    Jhene Aiko – Triggered (Freestyle)
    Kehlani ft. Ty Dolla $ign – Nights Like This
    Lucky Daye – Roll Some Mo
    [alt. Nicole Bus – You]

R&B performance:
    Ari Lennox ft. J.Cole – Shea Butter Baby
    Daniel Caesar & Brandy – Love Again
    Khalid – Talk
    Normani ft. 6LACK – Waves
    Summer Walker with Drake – Girls Need Love (Remix)
    [alt. Mariah Carey ft. Slick Rick and Blood Orange – Giving Me Life, Kiana Lede – Ex]

Traditional R&B performance:
    Anderson .Paak ft. Smokey Robinson – Make It Better
    Fantasia – Enough
    Monica – Commitment
    PJ Morton ft. JoJo – Say So
    Raphael Saadiq ft. Rob Bacon – Something Keeps Calling

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

I will be mad if H.E.R. scores an album nomination for combining her EPs last minute before the Grammy cut-off. Outside of the popular contenders (Khalid, Lizzo, Solange, etc), I really hope that Mariah Carey’s Caution is remembered by the R&B judging panel. It’s still one of the best of the year to me and stands out amongst a lot of the similarly sounding contemporary urban artists’ works. I do fear it will be forgotten though.

H.E.R definitely deserves a song nomination for Hard Place. There’s going to be a lot of competition in the Urban Contemporary category this year (Khalid, Lizzo, Solange, Anderson Paak and (potentially) Goldlink) and it’s all dependant on how each artist submits (if Khalid and Lizzo submit their stuff into Pop, if the committee are more receptive to Solange than they have been in the past). I personally want Goldlink to win this album but I wouldn’t mind if Lizzo or Anderson Paak snatched it instead. I really hope Mariah gets an R&B Album nomination for Caution. If she can garner a nomination in that category she’s one of the frontrunners to win. The difficult bit is actually getting the nomination in the first place.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  cheyenne lee.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  cheyenne lee.
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 406 total)

The topic ‘R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two’ is closed to new replies.