Home Forums Music R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 424 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 hour ago
replies
views
users
cheyenne lee
PoweR
Darren
  • deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Updated prediction: Best R&B Album Winner :}

C-Error – Beauty Marks

:{

Honey; this is no shade, the Grammys have never been fond of Mariah Carey. She could get snubbed.

Yea this is true and she shaded them multiple times. It would’ve been nice for her to secure a nom.

#howrudeofme

ReplyCopy URL
    jadenpb
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope they recognize Mariah 🙁

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

The closest thing we have to a lock in this category is Trip for Best R&B Song and R&B Performance. Everything else is up in the air!

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

The closest thing we have to a lock in this category is Trip for Best R&B Song and R&B Performance. Everything else is up in the air!

‘Trip’ is definitely not a lock for R&B Performance. Ella missed a nomination there this year with a much bigger hit.

ReplyCopy URL
    cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

‘Trip’ is definitely not a lock for R&B Performance. Ella missed a nomination there this year with a much bigger hit.

Trip was a much bigger Urban AC hit and was (in my opinion) much more sophisticated in terms of its composition than Boo’d Up. I didn’t say she was a 100% lock, but she’s the closest thing we have to it.

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

“Trip,” I agree, isn’t a lock for R&B performance. What I’m a near 100% convinced is showing up in that category is Fantasia’s “Enough.” It has R&B performance written all over it. And she has won in this category before back when they were split into Male, Female, Duo/Group and Urban Alternative. Plus, she’s been receiving nominations since her 2011 win. So, I’m pretty convinced 2020 will be no different for her.

There’s seemingly no hype over Jhené Aiko’s “Triggered” freestyle. I wouldn’t be too surprised if she showed up in the R&B performance category as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

With how unpredictable these categories have been the past couple of years, it’s safe to say that there are zero locks or anything close to it.

I do think the following artists will be recognized somewhere in the R&B genre with at least one nom (even though none are a sure thing):

Khalid (maybe R&B Song)
    Kehlani (maybe performance or album)
    Solange (maybe album)
    PJ Morton (maybe traditional)
    Raphael Saadiq (album)
    Anderson .Paak (Performance)
    H.E.R. (Performance)

Maybe:

Lizzo (depending on submissions)
    Mariah Carey (if they feel like rewarding a veteran)
    Ella Mai (depends on if they remember)
    Daniel Caesar (if they remember bc it came and went fast)
    Fantasia (if they consider it urban enough… in interviews she’s calling her new album rock/funk)
    Beyoncé (if they aren’t sick of her)
    Chris Brown (if they are willing to go for a more popular/contemporary hip-hip leaning sound)
    Summer Walker/Ari Lennox/Jamilla (depends on which new R&B artist they feel like embracing)

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

With how unpredictable these categories have been the past couple of years, it’s safe to say that there are zero locks or anything close to it.

I do think the following artists will be recognized somewhere in the R&B genre with at least one nom (even though none are a sure thing):

Khalid (maybe R&B Song)
    Kehlani (maybe performance or album)
    Solange (maybe album)
    PJ Morton (maybe traditional)
    Raphael Saadiq (album)
    Anderson .Paak (Performance)
    H.E.R. (Performance)

Maybe:

Lizzo (depending on submissions)
    Mariah Carey (if they feel like rewarding a veteran)
    Ella Mai (depends on if they remember)
    Daniel Caesar (if they remember bc it came and went fast)
    Fantasia (if they consider it urban enough… in interviews she’s calling her new album rock/funk)
    Beyoncé (if they aren’t sick of her)
    Chris Brown (if they are willing to go for a more popular/contemporary hip-hip leaning sound)
    Summer Walker/Ari Lennox/Jamilla (depends on which new R&B artist they feel like embracing)

Lizzo’s basically a lock for Urban Contemporary Album.

ReplyCopy URL
    Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo is a lock for Urban Contemporary album. Unless she’s in Pop Vocal Album.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo is winning Urban Contemporary. Unless they snub her….which is 100% unlikely.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

ReplyCopy URL
    deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo is winning Urban Contemporary. Unless they snub her….which is 100% unlikely.

what about Solange ?

#howrudeofme

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

what about Solange ?

My wildest guess would be that the same way Dirty Computer was snubbed in this category would be the same way When I Get Home would be. But I think she does deserve at least an Urban Contemporary nod.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

what about Solange ?

Solange is not even guaranteed a nomination. Even if she makes in, the hype surrounding Lizzo is too huge. Lizzo is easily the frontrunner for that category.

That fact that Lizzo’s album got in at the BET HIP HOP Awards means that the industry sees her music as Urban Contemporary. If she gets moved to Pop, then so should Khalid.

ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Lizzo will NOT lose Best Urban Contemporary Album.

Solange is an interesting case.  She could get a Best R&B Performance and/or Best R&B Song nomination, but get snubbed in Best Urban Contemporary Album.

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo is a lock for Urban Contemporary album. Unless she’s in Pop Vocal Album.

My thoughts exactly. We really don’t know what her label is going to do. They SHOULD submit her album in Urban, but I could see them sending it to Pop.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 424 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.