Home Forums Music R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 406 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +35 hidden )
replies
views
users
cheyenne lee
PoweR
Darren
  • Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo would not be rejected from the R&B field.

I never said she would be rejected but less likely to get nominated and pushed aside for more “URBAN” artists. But she’s a “Pop star” on the rise. Maybe Pop VOCAL will be her forte. Her music already caters to a more white demographic anyways. As is her core fan base.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

As is her core fan base.

Idk about that. Her BET appearance certainly proved otherwise.

chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo is a newcomer to the “urban” world, until recently that wasn’t her base. She is quickly gaining attention/respect from all corners which is great for BNA but tough for category placement.

Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

Idk about that. Her BET appearance certainly proved otherwise.

She’s been releasing mainstream music for years. Has appeared on Rupul’s Drag Race. Is very popular with the white gays. So this was literally her first exposure to the Black demographic. Her music isn’t even being played on Urban radio like that.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Khalid can submit Talk to R&B song. and Better to R&B Performance. His album will get in Urban Contemporary.

It would probably make more sense to enter “Talk” in both categories and “Better” in Pop Solo. “Better” was a big enough pop hit to get a nomination there and it got no significant airplay on urban or R&B radio.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, I just listened to Free Spirit in full for the first time, and that is a full-blown pop album. I think it will be moved out of Urban Contemporary. It’s way poppier than American Teen, which already skewed pretty pop.

If it were made by a white artist, there’d be no debate about what genre it is.

Brayfers
    Participant
    Topics:

any love for Kiana Lede / EX?

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

any love for Kiana Lede / EX?

Should be in R&B Performance, but I think it might not be eligible-

Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Starboy & Girl were “poppy” and won.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

smurty11
    Participant
    Topics:

Rihanna’s Unapologetic won Urban Contemporary Album. It was a mostly EDM album; Lizzo’s album will be accepted into the field.
    The Country committee is the only group precious about genre placement.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Starboy & Girl were “poppy” and won.

Those albums had way more R&B and hip-hop influence. Aside from “Talk” there is barely any material that sounds even remotely R&B on the Khalid album.

To put it another way, CeeLo’s The Lady Killer leaned far more to the R&B side and was still slotted in pop.

Ask yourself if you really think Free Spirit would be considered an R&B or “urban contemporary” album if a white artist released it.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Khalid is just pop in general. Outside of an obvious collection of songs, his music is definitely on the pop side. That’s why he is able to garner so many streams.

If I were a part of any committee, I would move his album to Pop. “Talk” belongs in R&B. “Better” belongs in Pop.

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

Solange should submit to Best R&B Album.

When I Get Home fits the mould for Urban Contemporary better in my opinion (it doesn’t really stick to a traditional R&B format and branches out into numerous genres)

cheyenne lee
    Participant
    Topics:

R&B Album: Ella Mai – Ella Mai Ari Lennox – Shea Butter Baby Mariah Carey – Caution India.Arie – Worthy Raphael Saadiq – Jimmy Lee BJ the Chicago Kid – 1123 Lionel Richie – Hello From Las Vegas (Live Album) Fantasia – Sketchbook

This is basically where my predictions for R&B albums are at currently. This would be such a tight category to call based on this list.

NOTE: Mariah would have a better chance in the R&B Song Categories with ‘With You’ since it was a hit on Urban AC formats. Khalid’s album was basically a pop album, and it’d be a slap in the face to other R&B artists if it was nominated. Lizzo fits perfectly into the Urban Contemporary category (a rapper/ singer with pop influences)

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  cheyenne lee.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  cheyenne lee.
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

While I don’t see the R&B judging panel necessarily rejecting Khalid’s Free Spirit album and moving it to the Pop category, since there is a precedence of him being nominated in Urban Contemporary before, I do see them just simply snubbing the album in favor of more R&B/urban-leaning albums.

Similar to Drake last year, I could see Khalid being snubbed in his genre album category, but making it into Album of the Year based on his popularity.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 406 total)

The topic ‘R&B Grammys 2020 – Part Two’ is closed to new replies.