Home Forums Music Rolling Stone : The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time

Rolling Stone : The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
LOVC
arodfan
theexterminator
  • Profile picture
    LOVC
    Topics:

Their Albums list is so much better lol. Thank U Next was ranked too high imo. There was little Mariah and Janet . Old Town Road shouldn’t touched the list tbh …..

The way these lists are made regularly is that many people who work in the industry (musicians, producers, editors, critics …) are asked to make their individual lists, then the publication is in charge of making the average of all these lists adding some other changes made by the editors of Rolling Stone.

That creates a situation that benefits songs that appear on the largest number of lists regardless of how high or low they are ranked, so artists like Lorde and Ariana Grande who have a song that could be considered an obvious choice for being included (Royals and Thank U Next) end up in quite high places because everyone who wanted to include them chose the same song, on the other hand artists like Lana del Rey who has several songs for which it could be argued that they should be on the list (Born to Die, Video Games, The Greatest …) divide their vote with themselves and it turns out that their only song on the list (No. 456 Summertime Sadness) is the one that appeared on the most lists but probably as a second or third selection in most of the lists that voted for several of her songs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LOVC
    Topics:

Very true. B.O.B, International Players Anthem(I Choose You), Rosa Parks, and even a more mainstream track like Ms. Jackson as well are all better songs. Hey Ya is a great song, and it did have a lot of cultural impact, but the only reason it’s ranked higher is because it’s their most mainstream-friendly hit.

I don’t think most of those who contributed to the creation of the list believes that Hey Ya is Outkast’s best song, but I do think it was the Outkast’s song that was on everyone’s list (it should be on everyone’s list to finish in the top 10), most likely as the second or third selection from Outkast’s catalog in many cases.

The reason it is the highest is because there was no consensus among the other selections (Int’l Players Anthem (I Choose You), B.O.B. and Ms. Jackson) for the top position as Outkast’s best song.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anna Artdeco
    Topics:

The way these lists are made regularly is that many people who work in the industry (musicians, producers, editors, critics …) are asked to make their individual lists, then the publication is in charge of making the average of all these lists adding some other changes made by the editors of Rolling Stone.

That creates a situation that benefits songs that appear on the largest number of lists regardless of how high or low they are ranked, so artists like Lorde and Ariana Grande who have a song that could be considered an obvious choice for being included (Royals and Thank U Next) end up in quite high places because everyone who wanted to include them chose the same song, on the other hand artists like Lana del Rey who has several songs for which it could be argued that they should be on the list (Born to Die, Video Games, The Greatest …) divide their vote with themselves and it turns out that their only song on the list (No. 456 Summertime Sadness) is the one that appeared on the most lists but probably as a second or third selection in most of the lists that voted for several of her songs.

Very interesting take. I never thought about it this way, I assumed there was some voting going on and then final vetting by the editors. This would explain why the list is kinda all over the place.

Anyway, “single ladies” getting the recognition it deserves!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LOVC
    Topics:

Very interesting take. I never thought about it this way, I assumed there was some voting going on and then final vetting by the editors. This would explain why the list is kinda all over the place.

Anyway, “single ladies” getting the recognition it deserves!

Taken from the official website of Rolling Stone…

To create the new version of the RS 500 we convened a poll of more than 250 artists, musicians, and producers — from Angelique Kidjo to Zedd, Sam Smith to Megan Thee Stallion, M. Ward to Bill Ward — as well as figures from the music industry and leading critics and journalists. They each sent in a ranked list of their top 50 songs, and we tabulated the results.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-songs-of-all-time-1224767/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LOVC
    Topics:

My main problem with this list is the non-inclusion of Barbie Girl by Aqua, that song is iconic and deserves more respect.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AwardsBait3818
    Topics:

My only real gripes with the list are the exclusions of “Asleep” by The Smiths and “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” by Simple Minds, overall I genuinely think it’s a great list. People are obviously gonna disagree about song placements or best songs by certain artists, but I like the collaborative way the list is put together and gives a good idea of what and who the industry respects.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cheeseburglar
    Topics:

No Depeche Mode songs at all? What a crappy list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

No Depeche Mode songs at all? What a crappy list.

Enjoy the Silence is on there at 415. Personal Jesus should’ve made the cut as well along with Just Can’t Get Enough and Policy of Truth.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cheeseburglar
    Topics:

Enjoy the Silence is on there at 415. Personal Jesus should’ve made the cut as well along with Just Can’t Get Enough and Policy of Truth.

I’m blind then because I couldn’t see it. Should be much higher

If it were for me I’d include almost all their singles lol.

Edit
    I have only read the top 100 songs. Depeche Mode deserved to be there. No way any of their songs is worse than Taylor Swift’s stuff and so on.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.