Home Forums Music Rolling Stone’s 50 best singles of 2011

Rolling Stone’s 50 best singles of 2011

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
7 years ago
Last Reply
7 years ago
replies
views
users
HerMadgesty
PoweR
Richard LeBeau
  • Conner2245
    Topics:

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/64924309.html

Interesting choices! 

Richard LeBeau
    Participant
    Topics:

Decent list.  

A couple minor issues:
    – I like that Britney charted so high (#3 “Til the World Ends”) but I think that “I Wanna Go” was a superior track.
    – I think “Countdown” was way too high (it shouldn’t have even been on the list)
    – I know Adele appears at #1 (with “Rolling in the Deep”) and #29 (with “Rumour Has It”) but “Someone Like You” deserves to be somewhere.  It’s my #1 for the year.  

ReplyCopy URL
    Pieman1994
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m actually pleasantly surprised at The Decemberists’ high entry! Interesting Fleet Foxes pick. I would have picked “Grown Ocean,” but I can’t really complain. Solid enough list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

I always enjoy Rolling Stone magazine’s year-end lists. There are usually a lot of titles I haven’t heard, but when I give them a listen, I quite enjoy them.

I am surprised “Pumped Up Kicks” didn’t make the top ten though. That would be my #1 pick of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    HerMadgesty
    Topics:

Decent list.  

A couple minor issues:
    – I like that Britney charted so high (#3 “Til the World Ends”) but I think that “I Wanna Go” was a superior track.
    – I think “Countdown” was way too high (it shouldn’t have even been on the list)
    – I know Adele appears at #1 (with “Rolling in the Deep”) and #29 (with “Rumour Has It”) but “Someone Like You” deserves to be somewhere.  It’s my #1 for the year.  

I think critics seem to prefer Till the World Ends, and they seem to not care for “Someone Like You,” which is not surprising. It’s such a sentimental audience favorite, but I can see why critics would turn their nose up. It’s the “I Will Always Love You”/”We Belong Together” factor. It’s just not very edgy.

ReplyCopy URL
    DrJustice
    Participant
    Topics:

Was music this year really that bad?

It’s probably one of the worst end-of-year songs list I’ve seen….well, maybe ever.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

If they were going to select a Beyonce song, Party or 1+1 should have made it.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

“Someone Like You” has made several year-end lists and Pitchfork (you can’t get more edgier than that site) was one of the first sites to pimp “Someone Like You.” So, it’s just a matter of which Adele’s songs make the lists. They can’t included all of them. SLY is definitely a critical favorite.

ReplyCopy URL
    HerMadgesty
    Topics:

^ Oh, I based that on the fact that I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere in the year-end lists. Which ones did it make?

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Off the top of my head, Q Magazine and Amazon, and it was up against mainly indie/alternative music favorites on their lists. There are some others that slipped my mind, and I’m confident it will make a few more as more lists roll in due to the critical love it received early on.

ReplyCopy URL
    JustGuy89
    Participant
    Topics:

The Edge of Glory is the only GaGa song that deserves to be on that list. Rolling Stone has lost its credibility in recent years anyways. Im looking forward to the other year end lists.

ReplyCopy URL
    Graeme O’Neil
    Topics:

I usually say “to each his own” with people’s list, but I have to say, I’m shocked at how mainstream that top 10 list. Britney, Gaga, and Beyonce are all in the top 10. Wow. Not that it’s undeserved, but just very surprising. Oh, and “Rolling In The Deep” was released in 2010. Sorry Rolling Stone. That’s why it’s not on my list, and it shouldn’t be on yours.

Has Miranda Lambert released “Mama’s Broken Heart” as her second single? I must have missed that. 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.