Home Forums Music Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (2020 Update)

Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (2020 Update)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Steve johnson
Wanda
Ghost
  • Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

Taylor in the top 100 is definitely a terrible choice, especially for Red when she has, at least, three better albums.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Maximum Axiom
    Topics:

I would like to think of myself as having quite a wide range of eclectic tastes, when it comes to musical genres. But I am appalled by the latest Rolling Stone top 500 albums of all time list. To see such musical landmarks like The Beatles “White Album”, and “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” plummet, to make room for the likes of Kendrick Lamar’s “To Pimp A Butterfly” and Kanye West’s “My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy” is an insult. Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of hip hop, mostly old school, and underground (Seeing MF Doom, and Mad Lib’s “Madvilliany” on the list was admittedly awesome), and I can understand why the aforementioned Kendrick Lamar “To Pimp a Butterfly” should be included amongst the top 500 albums of all time list; But having it ranked as high as it is is just insane! I strongly feel that this list was put together to appease its demographic of readers, while simultaneously pandering to the backlash of their previous Top Albums lists. But instead of focusing on what makes an album great, such as songwriting, musicianship, and the sheer impact of its legacy, they seemed to be more interested in devising a list that caters to everyone. Still, many of the albums that made the top 50 are beloved, and deserving of being there; but there is also a startling number of albums that plummeted significantly to make room for records that have absolutely no business being ranked so high. (I’m looking at you Beyonce’).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gold rush
    Topics:

Pretty good list, but I think Christina Aguilera with stripped should have been up there.

Congratulations Taylor Swift on 6 Grammy Nominations
    Album of the Year: folklore
    Song of the Year: cardigan
    Pop Solo Performance: cardigan
    Pop Duo/Group Performance: exile feat. Bon Iver
    Pop Vocal Album: folklore
    Song Written for Visual Media: Beautiful Ghosts

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Steve johnson
    Topics:

I would like to think of myself as having quite a wide range of eclectic tastes, when it comes to musical genres. But I am appalled by the latest Rolling Stone top 500 albums of all time list. To see such musical landmarks like The Beatles “White Album”, and “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” plummet, to make room for the likes of Kendrick Lamar’s “To Pimp A Butterfly” and Kanye West’s “My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy” is an insult. Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of hip hop, mostly old school, and underground (Seeing MF Doom, and Mad Lib’s “Madvilliany” on the list was admittedly awesome), and I can understand why the aforementioned Kendrick Lamar “To Pimp a Butterfly” should be included amongst the top 500 albums of all time list; But having it ranked as high as it is is just insane! I strongly feel that this list was put together to appease its demographic of readers, while simultaneously pandering to the backlash of their previous Top Albums lists. But instead of focusing on what makes an album great, such as songwriting, musicianship, and the sheer impact of its legacy, they seemed to be more interested in devising a list that caters to everyone. Still, many of the albums that made the top 50 are beloved, and deserving of being there; but there is also a startling number of albums that plummeted significantly to make room for records that have absolutely no business being ranked so high. (I’m looking at you Beyonce’).

This list is not about how old the album is. Kanye’s MBTDF and Kendrick’s TPAB are two of the best albums of all time and they deserved their spots. Old albums also made into the list ranked very very high.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

You seem to be biased against current albums by black artists when there are worst things in the top 50 like Tapestry, Revolver or Thriller.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kai
    Topics:

Could’ve just written “I hate seeing modern music by minorities above ‘real music’ by old white guys” and saved us the time of reading your post.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kenboi99
    Topics:

Explain why those beatle albums are better

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

The problem with the last lists were that they catered too much to Beatles and Bob Dylan fans, so I’m happy that this update is showing the impact of Hip Hop and its influence on pop culture and giving much less weight and bias toward old school white rocker stuff. No list will ever be perfect. I have a few gripes with that list, but not that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Usher
    Topics:

Honey, get it legendary Aaliyah!  🙂

Love One in a Million.  Her last album, Aaliyah, should’ve been on the list.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.