Home Forums Music The Weeknd: MY DEAR MELANCHOLY, (2018)

The Weeknd: MY DEAR MELANCHOLY, (2018)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Atypical
HotNerdLover
neverkneel
  • Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Surprise album drop on Friday! It’s his follow-up to the daring hit album “Starboy” and surprise Grammy winner. Really it’s an EP with only six songs on it. Video should be out soon for what I’m guessing is the lead single, “Call Out My Name.” The sound is more in line with his angsty, artier work from “Trilogy.”

Discuss.

Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Supposedly all about Selena:

“Call Out My Name”

https://youtu.be/rsEne1ZiQrk

ReplyCopy URL
    HotNerdLover
    Participant
    Topics:

After the massive success of Starboy, The Weeknd definitely deserves to be a bit self-indulgent, and with the one-two punch that Selena delivered, it’s understandable that he’s way deep into his feelings…problem is, none of these songs are particularly compelling. His vocals are top-notch as always, but the lyrics and production here feel undercooked. Some fans are applauding his return to the brooding sounds of his mixtape beginnings, but he hasn’t built on his previous works’ trademark features in any interesting ways. This entire EP feels like it could have coalesced into ONE excellent song had he given it more time.

Grade: C-

ReplyCopy URL
    neverkneel
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s a good EP. Not his best, but good.

He returns to his roots. Most of the tracks are written about his relationships with Selena Gomez and Bella Hadid.

Try Me, Hurt You and Call Out My Name are my favourite tracks so far.

ReplyCopy URL
    GraemeONeil
    Participant
    Topics:

Atypical, you’re definitely right that this is more like “Trilogy”. And that’s not a good thing. Really disappointing considering how great his last 2 albums were. There’s no variety in the production here. I love how so many artists phone in these EPs or mixtapes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Video for “Call Out My Name”:

https://youtu.be/M4ZoCHID9GI

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Personally, I’d rank “Call Out My Name” as one of The Weeknd’s best songs. Comparing it to “Trilogy” wasn’t meant as a pejorative in any sense. Compare this to the nonsensicalnsss of “Starboy” and there’s no comparison, really. Sales won’t nearly be as strong, but whatever. I’m hoping for at least R&B Performance at the Grammys, which should be gettable with slight competition.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.