Home Forums Music What did we learn from the 2022 Grammys?

What did we learn from the 2022 Grammys?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Huerco
Gucci
Goldwing
  • Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, Lil Nas X won 2 Grammys for his debut; NOT 3.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Huerco
    Topics:

BPDG needs to be split into 2 categories again.

I don’t think it’s necessary. There’s not enough good pop songs by groups. Pop is a genre of solo artists. What is actually necessary is Best Pop Song category. It’s the only big field without a songwriting category and I don’t understand why.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

That the blues category will never be televised.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

The Grammy voters are becoming less conservative in the genre categories, but maybe not in the General Field ones.

I was surprised by the Pop winners. Happy for Olivia’s wins there, but didn’t think it would happen. Assumed the overall voters would go for Brandi or Billie. I definitely didn’t see “Kiss Me More” winning!

R&B Voters weren’t afraid to give their album award to Jazmine Sullivan (Thank God!!! Best win of the night for me!).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kai
    Topics:

I don’t think it’s necessary. There’s not enough good pop songs by groups. Pop is a genre of solo artists. What is actually necessary is Best Pop Song category. It’s the only big field without a songwriting category and I don’t understand why.

The de facto reasoning used to be that “the Pop Song winner would just be the same as the SOTY because Pop songs always win so it’s unnecessary”. But now that this year marked the 5th straight year of the SOTY winner not winning any Pop categories, it is clear that the de facto reasoning isn’t valid.

Pop Song is long overdue!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Initially I was opposed to the increase to 10 slots, but now I’m in favor.

Why? The Grammy’s showed last year, that they’re becoming increasingly diverse in their preferences. Some people won their album genre categories but did not make the top 10 in AOTY.

And to hell with the BRP. I’m pretty sure they would’ve blocked Batiste this year, just like the crafts committee blocked him. Who knows how many Batistes were blocked in previous years and were robbed of an AOTY win.

And I love the spread of the wealth. All stats were broken last night. The voters will give the illusion that H.E.R is sweeping, and then she loses Album. Jon would lose his genre category and then win AOTY. I just love that chaos.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

And I love the spread of the wealth. All stats were broken last night. The voters will give the illusion that H.E.R is sweeping, and then she loses Album. Jon would lose his genre category and then win AOTY. I just love that chaos.

Wasn’t that technically happening before the change? I mean, look at what happen with Mumford and Sons and Arcade Fire, and that was with a Blue Ribbon Panel AND just five nominees. Last year, we had Dua and Taylor split Pop Album and Album.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Wasn’t that technically happening before the change? I mean, look at what happen with Mumford and Sons and Arcade Fire, and that was with a Blue Ribbon Panel AND just five nominees. Last year, we had Dua and Taylor split Pop Album and Album.

Yeah that paragraph wasn’t related to the BRP. I’m just appreciative of this trend that was mostly noticeable last year and this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Briana Breeze
    Topics:

That I predicted Jon Batiste would have a televised win, however, I didn’t think it would be AOTY. Still impressed that he won top prize.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

that when there are lot of nominees (from 6 to 10) in any cateogry, with no real frontrunner, being first on the list or last helps to win? 😉

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Huerco
    Topics:

That 10 nominees in GF categories is too much. They should go back to 8. They changed this only because of Taylor and Kanye and now they have to come up with something to pull back this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

The tightened category voting system will either lead to inspired, passion winners or rote, defaulty-type winners. Expect more album genre upset winners in the future, and more splintered voting in the general field.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anna Artdeco
    Topics:

I’m fine with 10 nominees in AOTY and BNA a la Oscars Best Picture but 10 in the song categories seems like overkill to me. It’s like there is no prestige in getting nominated for a Grammy anymore. They should reduce it to 5/8.

No BRP is working OK for now but it’s only a matter of time before populist vote leaves out some acclaimed albums or albums that weren’t campaigned enough and that’ll suck. I’ve always looked forward to getting introduced to new music from the Grammys. I want BRP to return in the future in a limited capacity: say 3 slots out of 10 should be decided by a panel, the rest 7 can be the top vote getters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CheChe70
    Topics:

I truly think 8 nominees for GF & 5 for the others was the perfect sweet spot, they just didn’t want Swifties boycotting lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Huerco
    Topics:

There’s no prestige in being nominated in AOTY anymore, especially if you’re a pop artist. 7/10 of the nominees were pop lol. You have to release really mediocre album to no make it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.