Home Forums Music WHAT DID WE LEARNED ABOUT THE 2020 GRAMMYS

WHAT DID WE LEARNED ABOUT THE 2020 GRAMMYS

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
PoweR
Babygirl
alex00g2
  • Profile picture
    JasonLannister
    Topics:

I’m just pissed off that the show was like what 3 hours? And we only witnessed like 8 awards given out?

I said this in the other thread but I really can’t stress this enough…. they should just have the AOTY nominees perform with 1-2 tributes and SHOW MORE AWARDS (!!!) from now on. People tune in to see their favourite artists win not to watch a fucking concert.

The best award show I’ve ever seen is the Brit Awards, they go one performance one award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DvirBA
    Topics:

The biggest thing we learned is the answer to the years-long question “is there any difference between the Grammys and the MTV awards anyway?”.

The answer is undoubtedly no.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Dvir B.A..
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by Dvir B.A..

For Your Consideration Emmys 2020:
    Ramin Djawadi- Outstanding Music Composition, "Westworld"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

2010 Single Ladies/Use Somebody
    2013 We are Young/Somebody That I Used to Know
    2014 Royals/Get Lucky
    2016 Thinking Out Load/Uptown Funk

Of course, there are examples of them splitting, but for the most part, ROTY/SOTY have gone hand-in-hand and will continue to with lapses in the trend here and there. Check the overall receipts of those categories.

The fact that people have to pose the question year after year “What is the difference between ROTY and SOTY?” is enough to combine these categories in 2020 onward. ROTY should be treated like AOTY. If they can cut those “minor” categories because they’re “irrelevant,” which in turn eliminates chances of certain artists winning, then the confusion between ROTY and SOTY should be enough to make it into one. Having two major categories for an individual song is really not needed. I don’t think gender or racial biases should matter here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Dugan suggested this. After all this “secret committee” drama, I can see it being implemented for next voting period.

It should be. Expanding the lineup to 8 means that preferential voting needs to be taken place. We would have more or less different winners in the GF than we usually do. People like Beyoncé and Kendrick would’ve won this way if it was implemented at the time they were competitive. Critical acclaim, I think, would matter more in a sense. Though I do think Billie still would’ve won AOTY with this, she wouldn’t be sweeping. Ditto Adele with ROTY/SOTY but losing AOTY because more people would rank Lemonade above 25.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Demi
    Topics:

Get real!  Record of the Year and Song of the Year should NOT be combined.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

“Uptown Funk”/”Thinking Out Loud” is the most compelling example of why there should be different categories.

“Thinking Out Loud” is the type of song that people will be covering for years to come (think about how people like Bublé and Tony Bennett have built careers off of singing songs from before World War II); “Uptown Funk” is a record that shines for the performance and cannot be imitated.

Or, look at Whitney winning ROTY for “I Will Always Love You.” It was already a great song as is, but Whitney’s performance elevated it to a completely other level.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

“Uptown Funk”/”Thinking Out Loud” is the most compelling example of why there should be different categories.

“Thinking Out Loud” is the type of song that people will be covering for years to come (think about how people like Bublé and Tony Bennett have built careers off of singing songs from before World War II); “Uptown Funk” is a record that shines for the performance and cannot be imitated.

Or, look at Whitney winning ROTY for “I Will Always Love You.” It was already a great song as is, but Whitney’s performance elevated it to a completely other level.

None of this explains why ROTY can’t award artist(s), songwriters, composers, producers, mixers, etc. for an entire song like AOTY does for albums now. All of those make up a “great song/record.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Even if voters tend to pick the same song, the committee definitely understands the difference. Something like “Bring My Flowers Now” wouldn’t have made sense in ROTY because while it’s a beautiful song, the performance is fine but not exceptional. Meanwhile, “Old Town Road,” “7 Rings,” “Hey, Ma,” “Sunflower,” and “Talk” lack the lyricism they look for in SOTY candidates.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

Even if voters tend to pick the same song, the committee definitely understands the difference. Something like “Bring My Flowers Now” wouldn’t have made sense in ROTY because while it’s a beautiful song, the performance is fine but not exceptional. Meanwhile, “Old Town Road,” “7 Rings,” “Hey, Ma,” “Sunflower,” and “Talk” lack the lyricism they look for in SOTY candidates.

The committee is now the issue, and they won’t matter in the end anyway. The rank-and-file voters will.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Briana Breeze
    Topics:

Also, in Rock Album, if you are a veteran band like Weezer, Metallica, The Cranberries and so forth, you will not be name-checked for a win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mr Brightside
    Topics:

Of course, there are examples of them splitting, but for the most part, ROTY/SOTY have gone hand-in-hand and will continue to with lapses in the trend here and there. Check the overall receipts of those categories. The fact that people have to pose the question year after year “What is the difference between ROTY and SOTY?” is enough to combine these categories in 2020 onward. ROTY should be treated like AOTY. If they can cut those “minor” categories because they’re “irrelevant,” which in turn eliminates chances of certain artists winning, then the confusion between ROTY and SOTY should be enough to make it into one. Having two major categories for an individual song is really not needed. I don’t think gender or racial biases should matter here.

Distinguishing between Song and Record of the Year is not relevant anymore in 2020. The distinction came from the 50s/60s when many hits were not written by the recording artist. It was common in pop/traditional pop music. Rock artists write their own music and that slowly became the norm. Even artists who don’t write at least contribute something and receive a credit. They should be combined.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

None of this explains why ROTY can’t award artist(s), songwriters, composers, producers, mixers, etc. for an entire song like AOTY does for albums now. All of those make up a “great song/record.”

They do something similar for the gospel categories:

Best Gospel Performance/Song:

It combines two previously separate categories Gospel Song (for songwriters) and Best Gospel/Contemporary Christian Music Performance (for performers). The current category recognizes both songwriters and performers.

In ROTY they could award performing artist(s), songwriters, composers, producers, mixers like you said.

But the problem will be for covers. For example I know it won’t happen but would Dolly Parton get a ROTY nomination if someone makes another successful version of I will always love you?

Would Diane Warren have gotten 2 ROTY nominations for How Do I Live if both Trisha & LeAnn’s versions were nominated for ROTY?

The same goes to “I Swear” which was nominated for SOTY in 1995 and it was performed by both All 4 one and John Michael Montgomery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmbUrakhTtc

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Also, the Best Engineering Album/AOTY stat remains strong and I hope others take it seriously next time. Steely Dan, Ray Charles, Norah Jones, Daft Punk, Beck, Bruno Mars and now Billie Eilish are examples of this.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

And I disagree with the suggestions of SOTY/ROTY being combined tbh.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

Nothing was stopping Billie from winning AOTY after Finneas took Best Engineering Album and Producer of the Year

Not even that Pop solo performance award for Lizzo fooled me. I knew Billie was taking both AOTY & BNA

The ones that I doubted were ROTY & SOTY. I thought Lil Nas was taking ROTY and Taylor or Lizzo SOTY.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by joesilver.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by joesilver.
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.