Home Forums Music WHAT DID WE LEARNED ABOUT THE 2020 GRAMMYS

WHAT DID WE LEARNED ABOUT THE 2020 GRAMMYS

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
PoweR
Babygirl
alex00g2
  • PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Distinguishing between Song and Record of the Year is not relevant anymore in 2020. The distinction came from the 50s/60s when many hits were not written by the recording artist. It was common in pop/traditional pop music. Rock artists write their own music and that slowly became the norm. Even artists who don’t write at least contribute something and receive a credit. They should be combined.

Exactly. It’s a dated format. I’m perfectly fine with the genre cats having separate performance and song cats for now, but ROTY and SOTY are basically redundant in this day and age.

They do something similar for the gospel categories:

Best Gospel Performance/Song:

It combines two previously separate categories Gospel Song (for songwriters) and Best Gospel/Contemporary Christian Music Performance (for performers). The current category recognizes both songwriters and performers.

In ROTY they could award performing artist(s), songwriters, composers, producers, mixers like you said.

But the problem will be for covers. For example I know it won’t happen but would Dolly Parton get a ROTY nomination if someone makes another successful version of I will always love you?

Would Diane Warren have gotten 2 ROTY nominations for How Do I Live if both Trisha & LeAnn’s versions were nominated for ROTY?

The same goes to “I Swear” which was nominated for SOTY in 1995 and it was performed by both All 4 one and John Michael Montgomery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmbUrakhTtc

I’d say judge each version separately. If both make it in, then the songwriters can be recognized more than once. However, covers and situations like “How Do I Live” and “I Can Love You Like That” no longer exist. So, I would make a rule for that as time goes along.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

We do not need a combined category for Record and Song of the Year.

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

The same goes to “I Swear” which was nominated for SOTY in 1995 and it was performed by both All 4 one and John Michael Montgomery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmbUrakhTtc

I remember that performance. Since this wasn’t the only time that All For One covered John Michael’s material, to me, “I Can Love You Like That” should’ve been done too, but I guess that it never got any Grammy award nominations?

God bless you and the guys and John Michael always!!!

Holly

Go here to check out my most favorite singer James Otto!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU81KIRZ_Q

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Looks like the “live instrumentation” rule for ROTY is going out the window now post-expansion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Being white makes you x10 likelier to win. And that Mrs. Dugan is 100% correct.

Ranking all the overrated white acts dead last when they finally implement the preferential ballot ❤️

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Looks like the “live instrumentation” rule for ROTY is going out the window now post-expansion.

With the last three winners, the contenders that relied mostly on live instrumentation, with the exception of “Shallow,” (“Hard Place,” “The Joke,” “The Story of O.J.,” and “Redbone”) were long shots.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

That was actually one of the reasons I predicted “Truth Hurts”. It had a prominent use of piano.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

With the last three winners, the contenders that relied mostly on live instrumentation, with the exception of “Shallow,” (“Hard Place,” “The Joke,” “The Story of O.J.,” and “Redbone”) were long shots.

Some of those would have had better odds in a smaller field of contenders.

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

We’ve learned that regardless the Willie Nelson submission, he’s due for at least one win every ceremony.

Same goes for Beyoncé.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Merging ROTY and SOTY could also hurt songs that aren’t eligible for both. What happens when something like I Will Always Love You or something that relies heavily on a sample gets submitted?

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

A song like “I Will Always Love You” would not be hurt by that. Only the artist, producer, engineer and mixer would be nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

We’ve learned that regardless the Willie Nelson submission, he’s due for at least one win every ceremony. Same goes for Beyoncé.

“Ride me back home” is so good.

Kubrick-Coen-Tarantino-Hitchcock-Lynch-Fellini-BillyWilde-WesAnderson
    "One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest(1975)"[All Time Fav]

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

A song like “I Will Always Love You” would not be hurt by that. Only the artist, producer, engineer and mixer would be nominated.

I still stand for separate acknowledgements.

I also stand for a new GF category – Performance of the Year. That way, songs like “I Will Always Love You,” that were essentially the performer and has nothing special about the production, would have no business in ROTY.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I still stand for separate acknowledgements.

I also stand for a new GF category – Performance of the Year. That way, songs like “I Will Always Love You,” that were essentially the performer and has nothing special about the production, would have no business in ROTY.

I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston deserved its win for Record of the Year hands down period.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel Guarin
    Participant
    Topics:

And I disagree with the suggestions of SOTY/ROTY being combined tbh.

So do I.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.