Home Forums Music what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 164 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
M
DC95
PoweR
  • KaRol
    Participant
    Topics:

first of all, I think that those 900 new members that joined NARAS based on the recommendations of the diversity task force changed Grammy landscape. it was first shown looking just at some of the nominees this year, especially in General & Pop fields.
    I wonder which genres those new members represent as winners in some fields weren’t lazy as always (Pop, R&B, Rock, Rap), while some were really terrible “name checking” game (Dance, Alternative).

but back to what we have learned from this year’s awards:
    1. rap songs can win ROtY & SOtY (I’m afraid that from now on we can have some undeserving winners just because they will be an example of Grammy’s diversity);
    2. songs released in the last month of Grammy eligibility still have a hard time winning in General field;
    3. you no longer need to be no. 1 or 2 on BH100 to win Pop Solo Performance or chart on it at all (still, Gaga had ROtY & SOtY nominations that are sometimes required here);
    4. Tony Bennett can lose.

probably not all new members were voting this year, so next year would be quite interesting.

any thoughts?

O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

That we live in a world full of a bunch of SJW and PC will always win on the next years

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

The biggest disappointment is that I think committee can now alter GF wins, like HDD claimed back then.

Which sucks… That’s what turns me away from the VMAs and other awards shows of that type. So I don’t think I’ll be following future ceremonies.

I always thought rap songs can win, but no way This Is America would’ve been able to win RoTY/SoTY when competing with THREE other successful rap singers who won grammy’s in the same night. It was bound to split votes with them. Drake, Kendrick and Cardi were all popular enough to win some categories yesterday. So it really feels like a committee pick.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Hip-hop has to be taken more seriously in the general field now.

Voters really love Willie Nelson.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

I always thought rap songs can win, but no way This Is America would’ve been able to win RoTY/SoTY when competing with THREE other successful rap singers who won grammy’s in the same night. It was bound to split votes with them. Drake, Kendrick and Cardi were all popular enough to win some categories yesterday. So it really feels like a committee pick.

Just because there’s the possibility of vote-splitting doesn’t mean that will be the end result. Most of the other rap artists won a single Grammy, yes. Donald Glover, however, went 4-for-5. Voters clearly liked him this year. And “This Is America” always had a huge leg up on the other rap competitors. There’s a reason why almost everyone had it #2 in Song and either #1 or #2 in Record.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Just because there’s the possibility of vote-splitting doesn’t mean that will be the end result. Most of the other rap artists won a single Grammy, yes. Donald Glover, however, went 4-for-5. Voters clearly liked him this year. And “This Is America” always had a huge leg up on the other rap competitors. There’s a reason why almost everyone had it #2 in Song and either #1 or #2 in Record.

People put it in #1 and #2 in RoTY, because they think the Grammy’s care about cultural impact à la VMAs and other shows. However, historically, the Grammy’s didn’t (see formation/lemonade and damn).

I am just not buying Gambino being able to achieve what Beyoncé and Kendrick couldn’t, which is why I think it was a committee pick. TIA winning SoTY almost felt like a reach. The song wasn’t even nominated for Best Rap Song, and was running against someone who ticked all the right boxes in her genre categories.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

You just can’t accept that “Shallow” lost. Whenever it’s a result you weren’t expecting or you don’t like, you insinuate that the Grammys are rigged. Give me a break.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, again, your knowledge of Grammy history clearly does not extend beyond the past couple of years, because the Grammys have given out major awards for largely political reasons – the Dixie Chicks sweep of 2007, despite their entire fanbase and primary audience turning against them due to their comments on Bush and the Iraq war, being a primary example of this. Beyoncé and Kendrick Lamar went up against more traditional middle-of-the-road Grammy favorites, which there was largely a lack of in this year’s crop of nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe I shouldn’t have bothered responding to you. As you usual, you resort to personal attacks.

No I never said it was “rigged”. The committee alters the nominations. And it has secretly existed for a couple of decades, before such information became public. So if they feel the credibility of their show is at stake, they may resort to the same process occasionally in the GF wins as well. It’s not rigged. But it’s just not the type of shows I follow.

The moment Joanne won, everyone was so sure Gaga was sweeping. Why? Because it didn’t even seem that any other pop nominee would be a threat to her. And historically, pop nominees only lose when the pop vote is split.

So, if you want to convince me otherwise, use historical patterns and come up with any theory you can come up with as to how TIA won the popular vote. But if you’re going to be toxic as usual, just don’t respond.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

The breakthrough in ROTY/SOTY finally happened, so now the door has been cracked open for more urban representation in the General Field. We’ll see next year if this was a fluke or not, but with a more diverse voting body (does this diversity also apply to that BRP?) and plurality vote of 12.5%, anything is possible now. Exciting prospects, yet difficult to predict moving forward.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Where did I personally attack you? I’ll wait.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

The breakthrough in ROTY/SOTY finally happened, so now the door has been cracked open for more urban representation in the General Field. We’ll see next year if this was a fluke or not, but with a more diverse voting body (does this diversity also apply to that BRP?) and plurality vote of 12.5%, anything is possible now. Exciting prospects, yet difficult to predict moving forward.

They only invited 200 new members this year. The other 700 didn’t join in time. So I doubt that made any difference.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Or maybe voters just liked TIA more than Shallow. The conspiracy theories are stupid.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

And historically, pop nominees only lose when the pop vote is split.

Also, not true.

Sara Bareilles was the lone pop nominee for AOTY in 2014, and Daft Punk won.

Amy Winehouse was the lone pop nominee for AOTY in 2008 (and she swept the rest of the general field), and Herbie Hancock won.

Gwen Stefani was the lone pop nominee for AOTY in 2006, and U2 won.

The Chainsmokers were the only Best New Artist nominee even remotely resembling pop in 2017, and lost to Chance the Rapper.

Ed Sheeran was the only pop nominee for Best New Artist in 2014, and lost to Macklemore (and Kendrick was also nominated).

I could keep going. Pop is not always the default winner. Brush up on your Grammy history, please.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

They only invited 200 new members this year. The other 700 didn’t join in time. So I doubt that made any difference.

Like I said, next year is the test with the new membership.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.