Home Forums Music what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 164 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
M
DC95
PoweR
  • M
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, not true. Sara Bareilles was the lone pop nominee for AOTY in 2014, and Daft Punk won. Amy Winehouse was the lone pop nominee for AOTY in 2008 (and she swept the rest of the general field), and Herbie Hancock won. Gwen Stefani was the lone pop nominee for AOTY in 2006, and U2 won. The Chainsmokers were the only Best New Artist nominee even remotely resembling pop in 2017, and lost to Chance the Rapper. Ed Sheeran was the only pop nominee for Best New Artist in 2014, and lost to Macklemore (and Kendrick was also nominated). I could keep going. Pop is not always the default winner. Brush up on your Grammy history, please.

You’re missing the point. I’m mainly talking about pop nominees who actually win their categories, not some random pop tarts picked by the committee. In the case of Ed Sheeran, I think a lot of the pop vote went to Macklemore anyway, since he was basically a pop singer anyway. The Chainsmokers are more EDM than pop.

What I’m saying is, GF Pop Nominees who won their genre categories, have gone to lose in the GF when the pop vote was split (like in Sam Smith’s case for example, who was sharing the vote with someone who also won SoTY).

But anyway, that’s my thought on it for now. If you want to call it a conspiracy theory, sure. Because what the secret committee has been doing for two decades is apparently a “conspiracy” by your logic.

We’ll see in the next years if the wins pattern continues to be as odd as this year’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

But anyway, that’s my thought on it for now. If you want to call it a conspiracy theory, sure. Because what the secret committee has been doing for two decades is apparently a “conspiracy” by your logic.

You’re literally the one delving into conspiracy theories, not me. I’m not the one saying the Grammys rigged the winners and disregarded voters’ picks when their website spells out clearly that’s not how the show operates.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re literally the one delving into conspiracy theories, not me. I’m not the one saying the Grammys rigged the winners and disregarded voters’ picks when their website spells out clearly that’s not how the show operates.

Just like they keep saying “no one knows who the winner is until the envelope is open”… Give me a break.

They had Drake waiting backstage. And the only reason they televised Pop Duo/GP right before SoTY is because they knew Gaga was losing SoTY.

So I’ll take everything they say with a grain of salt.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ghostface Killah
    Participant
    Topics:

Gambino has a lot of balls man also Kendrick and SZA are tired from Grammy’s and didn’t give a fuck. Drake’s speech is everything even i didn’t like his music.

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

What I have learned? I have learned that the powers that be doing something right may be a thing of the past now and I hate it.

God bless you and my favorite overlooked artists always!!!

Holly

Go here to check out my most favorite singer James Otto!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU81KIRZ_Q

ReplyCopy URL
    smurty11
    Participant
    Topics:

Main takeaway: The 900 new members added to the academy like Hip Hop. I’m pleasantly surprised by Gambino’s wins and cautiously optimistic for this new era for the Grammys.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Main takeaway: The 900 new members added to the academy like Hip Hop.

only 200 of those actually joined in time. The voting body is 13,000+ strong, so even if all 900 invitees came on board, their impact would have been negligible.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think the Grammys are rigged, but I do think they arrange the order of the awards and how they are distributed based on who they think (or know) will win.

Example: It’s quite weird that Drake was supposedly going to be a no-show, but showed up backstage when the winner of Best Rap Song was announced, and they NEVER televise that category.

And they televised Gaga’s award first because they probably knew she was done for the night.

Let’s not be too gullible when it comes to the Grammys. They are just like every other award show. I think they only have a certain level of integrity.

ReplyCopy URL
    JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t understand this discussion about how secret the name of the winners are. It’s like if only 2 people know the winners they can give the order to everybody related to the organization of the show about the which award will be televised and stuff like that.

And for me is valid, nothing wrong. Some people act like if it’s necessary to all the people that work there know who’s winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

Or maybe voters just liked TIA more than Shallow. The conspiracy theories are stupid.

Exactly. They clearly loved TIA more than we thought they did.

If there was a committee choosing winners, why didn’t Kendrick win AOTY?

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think the Grammys are rigged, but I do think they arrange the order of the awards and how they are distributed based on who they think (or know) will win. Example: It’s quite weird that Drake was supposedly going to be a no-show, but showed up backstage when the winner of Best Rap Song was announced, and they NEVER televise that category. And they televised Gaga’s award first because they probably knew she was done for the night. Let’s not be too gullible when it comes to the Grammys. They are just like every other award show. I think they only have a certain level of integrity.

It’s weird because there so many examples in addition to yours that show that they KNOW who is winning. But then there are plenty of examples that show they DON’T.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Exactly. They clearly loved TIA more than we thought they did. If there was a committee choosing winners, why didn’t Kendrick win AOTY?

I’m just hoping they didn’t add some clause that allows them to alter some GF wins, when necessary. It’s odd that two media outlets speculated about that this year, while making their predictions.

Based on previous patterns, rap nominees can’t win if the vote is split, so either TIA is a committee pick, or Pop Voters voted for Gaga all the way and then defected to Gambino in the GF (which also seems odd, because why not do that for Kendrick who’s more deserving and overdue?).

I was just trying to make sense of what happened. When Beck won, there was some math behind it. But last night was just very odd.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  M.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s weird because there so many examples in addition to yours that show that they KNOW who is winning. But then there are plenty of examples that show they DON’T.

That sentence they keep repeating “no one knows until the envelope is open” is a lie on its face. Yesterday and other previous years, sometimes the winners show up on screen before they envelope is open. For the nominations, they had Zane narrate the nominations in a video beforehand. So they should just quit the B.S and admit that the production team probably knows the winner at least on Grammy’s day.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m just hoping they didn’t add some clause that allows them to alter some GF wins, when necessary. It’s odd that two media outlets speculated about that this year, while making their predictions. Based on previous patterns, rap nominees can’t win if the vote is split, so either TIA is a committee pick, or Pop Voters voted for Gaga all the way and then defected to Gambino in the GF (which also seems odd, because why not do that for Kendrick who’s more deserving and overdue?). I was just trying to make sense of what happened. When Beck won, there was some math behind it. But last night was just very odd.

It really isn’t odd at all. In both ROTY and SOTY, TIA and Shallow were the most popular predictions. One of the won. In AOTY, Black Panther and Golden Hour were the most popular predictions. One of them won. You’re acting like “Rockstar” or “Boo’d” up won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mcm
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like there’s two takeaways this year:

1. The ROTY/SOTY curse is broken for urban artists. I’m not sure when we are gonna see this again, but I pretty sure I won’t forget this win for a long time even if more hip hop artists will win.

2. I feel like the Grammys are going to steer towards critical darlings. It was shown with Performances like Janelle Monaé, Brandi Carlile, St. Vincent, and Kacey Musgraves. I feel like Kacey Musgraves won because she filled my AOTY hypothesis: if you play an instrument, dance, sing and create music that’s transcends your field your music, you’ll win AOTY. I feel like that can be detrimental in some cases, but at the end of the day I’m really happy to see her win. She and Janelle Monaé had the best albums out the 8 so I wouldn’t mind seeing either walk away with the award.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  mcm.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.