Home Forums Music what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 164 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
M
DC95
PoweR
  • Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Rap songs can be taken a bit more seriously but rap and hip hop albums, ehhhhhhh I’m still not sure. This is America was loved by white liberals who felt woke enough to give it wins in all of its categories and Donald Glover was the perfect artist for them to feel comfortable enough to do that for.

As I’ve told the stans on the movie side, ASIB has been splotchy in every awards play this season. It has won the little categories like Song or Visual Media or Best Music but there is no narrative for it in the major categories to have enough support to win. Shallow was SOTY bait and it still lost to a hip hop record. Also, Gaga herself doesn’t have the backing for a GF win even with a huge movie behind her. She’s probably too divisive when it comes to that.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

“Shallow” was probably too new to be considered record and/or song of the year. It was not a representation of music for the YEAR. It was merely a last minute release and a push for the movie season. I am not disappointed in its losses. I never thought it deserved to just sweep like that when there have been more impactful records last year. It got what it deserved.

“This Is America” did have impact, even if it was shortlived. It was at the top of my lists for the general field before people started to hype “Shallow.”

I am also glad Drake was not the one to break the mold. I’m glad he only got one win.

I think Kendrick won’t win AOTY ever when Black Panther didn’t, but he didn’t need a win for that. Let’s hope his next release does well.

ReplyCopy URL
    JGibson
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think the Grammys are rigged, but I do think they arrange the order of the awards and how they are distributed based on who they think (or know) will win.

Example: It’s quite weird that Drake was supposedly going to be a no-show, but showed up backstage when the winner of Best Rap Song was announced, and they NEVER televise that category.

And they televised Gaga’s award first because they probably knew she was done for the night.

Let’s not be too gullible when it comes to the Grammys. They are just like every other award show. I think they only have a certain level of integrity.

Well, it was pretty obvious for years the producers know the results and arrange their presentation to give managed spotlight to different artists and not a sweep by one during the whole ceremony.
    A few examples:
    -2016 ceremony: had every winner be presented only one award during the telecast. Taylor Swift could have lost AOTY but they still chose not to present her pop win and neither Ed Sheeran’s who won SOTY.
    2017 and 2018 ceremonies – Adele and Bruno Mars swept the GF. So not tire they screentime, only their bigger wins were presented. Adele’s wins were predictable but no one saw Bruno Mars winning the three awards. If they didn’t know they would have presented an R&B award just in case.

But now I’m starting to believe artists themselves (maybe the bigger ones) know which categories they’re getting. Drake last night is the best example. But see:
    2017 ceremony – Beyonce won Urban Comtemporary Album and accepted with a written speech printed on a golden envelope that matched her dress. The speech was political and socially aware. I remember feeling weird about that cause it seemed she was admitting she wasn’t gonna win anything again in the night.
    2019 ceremony – Gaga accepts her Pop Duo win and says in the microphone she was gonna adress the addiction subject because she didn’t know if she was gonna win again in the night. Then the category she was favoured was presented right after her, they wouldn’t put her on stage for the third time so quick.
    BUT what’s weirder about her case. She took photos with the press holding her 3 wins with the dress she accepted on stage. However, after her performance she changed clothes to a 3rd look and wore it for the rest of the night. Why did she took the press photos of the awards when she still had nominations to come in a category she was favoured? It’s was not a gut feeling for her. She was confirmed her wins were stopping there.

Well, with that hope we can all agree The Oscars and The Emmys at most are the only awards that truly keeps the secret only to the accountants until the moment the envelope opens. Thats all folks

ReplyCopy URL
    jjjmoss
    Participant
    Topics:

if you’re the only one who’s white, straight, and not a rapper, aoty is yours for the taking

ReplyCopy URL
    O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

if you’re the only one who’s white, straight, and not a rapper, aoty is yours for the taking

Then why Outkast has a grammy for Album Of The Year?
    And two out of four general awards this year gone to a black rapper for christ sake stop crying fucking idiots

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, it was pretty obvious for years the producers know the results and arrange their presentation to give managed spotlight to different artists and not a sweep by one during the whole ceremony. A few examples: -2016 ceremony: had every winner be presented only one award during the telecast. Taylor Swift could have lost AOTY but they still chose not to present her pop win and neither Ed Sheeran’s who won SOTY. 2017 and 2018 ceremonies – Adele and Bruno Mars swept the GF. So not tire they screentime, only their bigger wins were presented. Adele’s wins were predictable but no one saw Bruno Mars winning the three awards. If they didn’t know they would have presented an R&B award just in case. But now I’m starting to believe artists themselves (maybe the bigger ones) know which categories they’re getting. Drake last night is the best example. But see: 2017 ceremony – Beyonce won Urban Comtemporary Album and accepted with a written speech printed on a golden envelope that matched her dress. The speech was political and socially aware. I remember feeling weird about that cause it seemed she was admitting she wasn’t gonna win anything again in the night. 2019 ceremony – Gaga accepts her Pop Duo win and says in the microphone she was gonna adress the addiction subject because she didn’t know if she was gonna win again in the night. Then the category she was favoured was presented right after her, they wouldn’t put her on stage for the third time so quick. BUT what’s weirder about her case. She took photos with the press holding her 3 wins with the dress she accepted on stage. However, after her performance she changed clothes to a 3rd look and wore it for the rest of the night. Why did she took the press photos of the awards when she still had nominations to come in a category she was favoured? It’s was not a gut feeling for her. She was confirmed her wins were stopping there. Well, with that hope we can all agree The Oscars and The Emmys at most are the only awards that truly keeps the secret only to the accountants until the moment the envelope opens. Thats all folks

Exactly. Unfortunately, I feel like the Grammy’s are slowly becoming like the VMAs. The VMAs let the artists know beforehand if they’re winning (as Kanye confirmed they told him he wasn’t winning VoTY).

For the Grammy’s, I can’t even trust that they’re sticking to the popular vote anymore. And the fact that there’s a nomination review committee is troublesome to begin with. They should just add preferential ballot and it’ll fix their problem.

And their sweeps are what frustrates people. Preferential Ballots will help reduce sweeps as you can win without even being the N1 choice of the majority.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Xtina
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, I learned that Lady Gaga will NEVER win in the General field.  Thank goodness!  “Shallow” sucks.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, I learned that Lady Gaga will NEVER win in the General field. Thank goodness! “Shallow” sucks.

I’m going to say she won’t win AoTY next year, just because everytime Golderby predicts her for a major award she loses it, and when she’s predicted to lose, she wins (Joanne).

Maybe Shallow was just too new to represent the “song of the year”. And if that’s the case, then that standard will help the album, since it’s going to be doing well throughout the year (currently at #3, might see a boost after the grammy’s). The grammy’s clearly don’t care about momentum and radio airplay anyway since they awarded GH. But the hurdle is a nomination. She’s no Kendrick. The committee doesn’t love her that much.

ReplyCopy URL
    TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

What I learned is to always go for the bigger pop name when predicting Best New Artist, even if they don’t have any general field nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that a rap song won ROTY ad SOTY in the same year there were 8 nominee must mean something.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that a rap song won ROTY ad SOTY in the same year there were 8 nominee must mean something.

If it was indeed popular vote, I think Gambino got some of the pop vote. Liberal Pop Voters might’ve connected to the song, especially in today’s political climate.

I am just confused as to why that didn’t happen with Kendrick. Pray For Me was submitted in Pop. And he didn’t get a pop nomination even in a category with 7 nominees.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    金娜璉
    Participant
    Topics:

Lady Gaga serving looks at this year’s Grammys. Dress, hair and make-up. She shouldve dressed like that at Critics Choice instead of with that towel tbh.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  金娜璉.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, I learned to never underestimate a Kendrick song in Rap Performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

When Perfect Duet didn’t get the nomination you claimed that the whole “secret committee” nonsense was real, and now that your precious Shallow flopped in the General Field your back with the same dumb statement.

This Is America was widely acclaimed, and was one of the most talked about songs of the year, even if it was shortlived. It was a political statement and is exactly the type of rap song I can see liberal white voters picking. It just got more votes than Shallow, get over it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

It also raises a question on whether Shallow was ever a frontrunner for Song & Record. I always reiterated that movie voters aren’t representative of General Field voters.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.