Home Forums Music what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 159 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
Darren
PoweR
  • M
    Participant
    Topics:

When Perfect Duet didn’t get the nomination you claimed that the whole “secret committee” nonsense was real, and now that your precious Shallow flopped in the General Field your back with the same dumb statement. This Is America was widely acclaimed, and was one of the most talked about songs of the year, even if it was shortlived. It was a political statement and is exactly the type of rap song I can see liberal white voters picking. It just got more votes than Shallow, get over it.

What?

As usual you make up stuff. I never blamed Perfect absence on the committee. I said it could’ve been found ineligible after the fact, or withdrawn per the label/artist’s request after a change of heart.

ReplyCopy URL
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Then why Outkast has a grammy for Album Of The Year? And two out of four general awards this year gone to a black rapper for christ sake stop crying fucking idiots

Outkast and Lauryn Hill won AOTY because they had crossover hits. And while Childish Gambino winning does help break the curse, it’s pretty ignorant to see that people of color still have a long way to go. Beyonce, Kanye West, Frank Ocean and Kendrick Lamar all deserved this honor one time or another but many acts seem very conservative rather than what black people want to represent their music. Just because black people are advocating for social change as in This is america doesn’t mean that’s how they always want to be represented because at the end of the day black people are still people too.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Outkast and Lauryn Hill won AOTY because they had crossover hits. And while Childish Gambino winning does help break the curse, it’s pretty ignorant to see that people of color still have a long way to go. Beyonce, Kanye West, Frank Ocean and Kendrick Lamar all deserved this honor one time or another but many acts seem very conservative rather than what black people want to represent their music. Just because black people are advocating for social change as in This is america doesn’t mean that’s how they always want to be represented because at the end of the day black people are still people too.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

ReplyCopy URL
    ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

because at the end of the day black people are still people too.

Let’s not forget that music is about the art not the politics. I know Grammys in a way can seem very political because it actually is, but literally a black artist won 2/4 of the General Field awards this year. To say that “Bruno Mars and Donald Glover are coloured/black people the conservatives are comfortable with rewarding” is absolutely redundant. You can’t say that sh*t lmao. They’re still who they are and you can’t just put a qualification on their identity like that.

To say that “Hip-Hop is under rewarded to the point that its racist to black people” is biased because country, metal and rock have always been unrewarded in the GF as well, not just hip-hop. Only 4 country albums won AOTY, same as with hip-hop. The Grammys have always had a problem with rewarding genres outside of pop and adult pop in the GF. Also, the Grammys often favour commercial success and pop culture impact over quality (except in a few cases like Musgraves’ win in AOTY this year). However there is no racial issue. At least definitely not this year or even last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s not forget that music is about the art not the politics. I know Grammys in a way can seem very political because it actually is, but literally a black artist won 2/4 of the General Field awards this year. To say that “Bruno Mars and Donald Glover are coloured/black people the conservatives are comfortable with rewarding” is absolutely redundant. You can’t say that sh*t lmao. They’re still who they are and you can’t just put a qualification on their identity like that. To say that “Hip-Hop is under rewarded to the point that its racist to black people” is biased because country, metal and rock have always been unrewarded in the GF as well, not just hip-hop. Only 4 country albums won AOTY, same as with hip-hop. The Grammys have always had a problem with rewarding genres outside of pop and adult pop in the GF. Also, the Grammys often favour commercial success and pop culture impact over quality (except in a few cases like Musgraves’ win in AOTY this year). However there is no racial issue. At least definitely not this year or even last year.

Personally rewarding art is political and strategic. If that was the case mainstream media wouldn’t be in the gf and critically acclaimed music would rule every year regardless of race or gender. I think the point is would get across is that just there is a racial bias and cultural popularity in the academy. If it was true about popularity, then why did Beck win AOTY in 2015 against one of Beyoncé’s biggest record at that time. And don’t get me wrong Bruno Mars and Donald Glover are too talented it’s scary lol. When I’m saying conservative I’m taking about a conservative viewpoint, that they are viewed as a victim of racial inequality. Do you guys really think that Childish Gambino would have won without that undertone of the song? Just for any artist of that matter. Can we get to a time now where black artists create records about love like Kacey or heartbreak like Adele and win AOTY? And don’t get me started on rock and alternative right now because there are injustices going back to the Beatles. I just feel like Trap is the hottest commodity at the moment and it should be represented of the times rather than just ignored and not given awards. And if race is not a factor in that case why didn’t Janelle Monaé win this year? They are equally as good. I’m okay with Kacey winning, but Kendrick is literally 0 for 4. Beyonce and Jay Z  did not get nominated for AOTY. Janelle Monaé we hunted home empty handed for one of her most commercial album yet. Then we have the big 3 (Cardi, Drake and Post [he’s not black but he represents hip hop]) who had their biggest years this year to only win 2 awards.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Even though H.E.R. was the obvious winner of R&B Album, it was even more obvious when BTS came out to present the award. BTS has praised H.E.R. in the media a lot lately.

ReplyCopy URL
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Even though H.E.R. was the obvious winner of R&B Album, it was even more obvious when BTS came out to present the award. BTS has praised H.E.R. in the media a lot lately.

i think her was one of my favorite winners of the grammys. She was soo gracious and seemed genuinely happy to be there. Her complication project turned heads in the r&b community without drawing a look or style to herself.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

That don’t let Goldderby bully you into thinking Lady Gaga is bigger than what she was. I just knew shallow had no chance in the General Field. No matter how “baity” it was. A song spending two weeks in the top 10 was expected to sweep? Lmaooooo

And oh.. Trends are Important. That’s why they are called “trends”. For the entire decade.. the song of the year always peaks at #1 or at worst #2 on the hot 100.

The biggest Pop name is the biggest threat in Best New Artist. No matter who else is nominated.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  Deemy.
    ReplyCopy URL
    JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

Beyonce is the definition of overrated.
    Kendrick on the other hand should have won AOTY not once, but twice.

ReplyCopy URL
    aQuan
    Participant
    Topics:

Beyoncé: breathes
    Beyoncé haters:

Beyonce is the definition of overrated.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

That they can still be reasonable.

That Ariana, Miley and Demi can win.

That hip hop can win in the GF.

And that Gaga is ALWAYS overhyped.

But the R&B field needs another committee. The fact that they snubbed Janelle and gave ANOTHER award to that overrated couple makes me sick.

The Pop Field needs a panel to prevent tragic categories like this year’s Pop Solo. It needs critically acclaimed songs and albums nom’ed so the voters won’t feel like they have to block Havana-like songs  by voting on random nominees like Joanne. Janelle, Troye, Lana, Lorde, etc could use a win in this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

It also raises a question on whether Shallow was ever a frontrunner for Song & Record. I always reiterated that movie voters aren’t representative of General Field voters.

It was. Look at the pop field winners. Voters liked Gaga this year. They just liked Donald Glover more.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

That don’t let Goldderby bully you into thinking Lady Gaga is bigger than what she was. I just knew shallow had no chance in the General Field. No matter how “baity” it was. A song spending two weeks in the top 10 was expected to sweep? Lmaooooo And oh.. Trends are Important. That’s why they are called “trends”. For the entire decade.. the song of the year always peaks at #1 or at worst #2 on the hot 100. The biggest Pop name is the biggest threat in Best New Artist. No matter who else is nominated.

You realize that Shallow surpassed TIA in SPS despite being newer? You realize that TIA didn’t even make the TOP50 of Billboard Year-End Chart? Even All The Stars was bigger.

The only thing viral about it is the music video, which is why it felt like a committee pick to me. If it indeed won the popular vote (which I’m just not sure about), it’s most likely because of its political message in the current political climate. That’s it. It wasn’t a bigger hit than Shallow (in terms of SPS), and it’s not the biggest in the category either. It did debut at #1, but so did many other songs that didn’t even get grammy nominations like Look What You Made Me Do etc.. Longevity matters more.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  M.
    • This reply was modified 10 months ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

The lesson I learned was this: To quote Game of Thrones, “You know nothing Jon Snow”.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.