Home Forums Music what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 159 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
Darren
PoweR
  • Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

You realize that Shallow surpassed TIA in SPS despite being newer? You realize that TIA didn’t even make the TOP50 of Billboard Year-End Chart? Even All The Stars was bigger. The only thing viral about it is the music video, which is why it felt like a committee pick to me. If it indeed won the popular vote (which I’m just not sure about), it’s most likely because of its political message in the current political climate. That’s it. It wasn’t a bigger hit than Shallow (in terms of SPS), and it’s not the biggest in the category either. It did debut at #1, but so did many other songs that didn’t even get grammy nominations like Look What You Made Me Do etc.. Longevity matters more.

Shallow is a late release.

Even the GF nominations were too much considering that. The Grammys usually pick the older nominees. Thinking Out Loud is a good example of that.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Shallow is a late release. Even the GF nominations were too much considering that. The Grammys usually pick the older nominees. Thinking Out Loud is a good example of that.

Yes that could’ve hurt his chances, since at the time the voters were voting, the song has been out for two months only.

People initially thought it’d be an advantage, but I don’t know. We’ll see.

But the main takeaway is that pop voters really love her. Joanne is the first non-hit song ever to win that category.

Remains to be seen whether she can get an AoTY nod next year and win. The album is performing much better commercially than Shallow anyway. And her losing this year may be a blessing in disguise since it’ll allow her to compete in AoTY which is more prestigious. But we’ll see if there are new releases that do better.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Outkast won album of the year and best rap album so wheter it had crossover hits or not is irrelevant, that alone denies the nonsense the other user had say. And you are also missing my point.I’m not talking about the past, those artist you mentioned maybe should have won but there’s nothing you can do now.Right now you have a black rapper winning two general categories and that’s what you have now but y’all are still complaining when there’s literally a whole year until the next ceremony, nobody knows what’s gonna happen.Saying that black people loses because they are black or they should win next year just because they are black (like that other dummy say) is exactly one of the reasons why there’s a difference between black and white people.

Outkast did win AOTY because of smash hits. If that wasn’t the case Stankonia would have won against O Brother Where Art Thou Soundtrack. And I feel, like you mentioned that just because people are black or white that’s a reason why they win. Kacey won fair and square, and it was one of two favorite albums do the bunch so I can’t complain. I just feel like there are artists that are black creating their best work and not getting acknowledged. Frank Ocean losing to Mumford and Sons in 2013. Kendrick Lamar losing to Daft Punk (my personal favorite, but he was robbed of so many rap awards that night), Taylor Swift, and Bruno Mars. Beyoncé losing to Beck and Adele. So yes Childish Gambino’s win was monumental. But my point is let’s see how long it is for a Black Artist to not just sing about social commentary to win. Because let’s be honest if Childish Gambino created a song like Ed Sheeran or Adele he wouldn’t have won. It’s true and I’m not mad he won. That song is great.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

I think we have to wait to access the impact. I mean when a Chance the Rapper won, people were like SZA and H.E.R. we’re going to win. So we still are still going to wait and see. Hopefully they continue toward like they did this year.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Of course you couldn’t

I think both of you guys bashing each other won’t bring your point across. We all love music and that’s why we are on this forum.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

That don’t let Goldderby bully you into thinking Lady Gaga is bigger than what she was. I just knew shallow had no chance in the General Field. No matter how “baity” it was. A song spending two weeks in the top 10 was expected to sweep? Lmaooooo

And oh.. Trends are Important. That’s why they are called “trends”. For the entire decade.. the song of the year always peaks at #1 or at worst #2 on the hot 100.

The biggest Pop name is the biggest threat in Best New Artist. No matter who else is nominated.

It’s funny how you’re acting clever when we all know you predicted Cardi B would win Record of the Year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I wouldn’t say Bruno’s win last year was a victory for urban music. He’s not considered an R&B artist by most people; he’s considered a pop star.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m just hoping they didn’t add some clause that allows them to alter some GF wins, when necessary. It’s odd that two media outlets speculated about that this year, while making their predictions.

Based on previous patterns, rap nominees can’t win if the vote is split, so either TIA is a committee pick, or Pop Voters voted for Gaga all the way and then defected to Gambino in the GF (which also seems odd, because why not do that for Kendrick who’s more deserving and overdue?).

I was just trying to make sense of what happened. When Beck won, there was some math behind it. But last night was just very odd.

There’s no secret “oversight” nominating committee picking winners after the popular vote. Childish just did that shit. Deal with it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s no secret “oversight” nominating committee picking winners after the popular vote. Childish just did that shit. Deal with it.

That’s unknowable. We’ll simply never know for the time being. They kept the secret committee business under wraps for decades now. And most people don’t even know about it. If they make more changes to the prerogatives of the committee, we’ll never know unless it leaks to the press. To me, the Joanne win in Best Pop Solo, and Shallow loss in SoTY just don’t add up, hence my concern. Now if Gambino won for Feels Like Summer (which would’ve been as surprising as Joanne’s win), I can see him being that name check everywhere this year, but he didn’t.

Also the Grammy’s have always been shady anyway, even the media say it: https://slate.com/culture/2011/02/the-grammys-the-secret-committee-that-alters-the-membership-s-nominations.html

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Not here for boneheaded Grammy conspiracy theories. Thank u, next.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Not here for boneheaded Grammy conspiracy theories. Thank u, next.

Except that it wouldn’t be really a conspiracy if they did that, because it might’ve been needed, just like it was needed to overrule the popular vote nominations.

Maybe just go back to listening to your precious Ariana Grande.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Except that it wouldn’t be really a conspiracy if they did that, because it might’ve been needed, just like it was needed to overrule the popular vote nominations.

Maybe just go back to listening to your precious Ariana Grande.

FYI: Only some of “Sweetener.” But that song title is very convenient to address generalized stupidity like this with Grammy conspiracy theories.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.