Home Forums Music what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 159 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
DC95
PoweR
  • DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s unknowable. We’ll simply never know for the time being. They kept the secret committee business under wraps for decades now.

That’s not true. Their nominations review committee that they introduced in the mid-’90s was announced and known to anyone who cared. Just because YOU didn’t know doesn’t mean the information wasn’t available.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

To me, the Joanne win in Best Pop Solo, and Shallow loss in SoTY just don’t add up

“This Is America” wasn’t nominated for Pop Solo Performance. Shocking, I know.

It won two other categories, so it’s not like the general field wins came out of nowhere.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

“This Is America” wasn’t nominated for Pop Solo Performance. Shocking, I know.

Read the sentence right after.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Read the sentence right after.

So because he lost one award out of his five nominations, that means he had no path to victory for Record and Song of the Year?

ReplyCopy URL
    Mindi Palmer
    Participant
    Topics:

Except that it wouldn’t be really a conspiracy if they did that, because it might’ve been needed, just like it was needed to overrule the popular vote nominations. Maybe just go back to listening to your precious Ariana Grande.

Call me crazy but I think if Gaga waited with Shallow for the next year and she would have an Oscar to back her up it could work very well for her and she could sweep in 2020- Soty and Roty are usually more than 1 year old (Hello, Rolling In The Deep, Thinking Out Loud, 24K Magic, That’s What I Like, Uptown Funk, Need You Now, Single Ladies, Use Somebody, We Are Young, Somebody That I Used To Know were ALL more than a year old when they won, some of them were even almost 1,5 years old when they won! Same with AOTY! They choose the song that represented the year, not the song which is the most popular at the moment and Shallow is doing great right now (#1 on Itunes after 4 months, it peaked only at #5 because of lack of radio support- she is winning an Oscar and with a great performance at the grammys and oscars Shallow would probably sweep in 2020

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Mindi Palmer.
    ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s unknowable. We’ll simply never know for the time being. They kept the secret committee business under wraps for decades now. And most people don’t even know about it. If they make more changes to the prerogatives of the committee, we’ll never know unless it leaks to the press. To me, the Joanne win in Best Pop Solo, and Shallow loss in SoTY just don’t add up, hence my concern. Now if Gambino won for Feels Like Summer (which would’ve been as surprising as Joanne’s win), I can see him being that name check everywhere this year, but he didn’t. Also the Grammy’s have always been shady anyway, even the media say it: https://slate.com/culture/2011/02/the-grammys-the-secret-committee-that-alters-the-membership-s-nominations.html

Believe me: the main reason Joanne won Pop Solo was the weakness of the frontrunners. Camila Cabello isn’t big, relevant or credible enough to win a Grammy and if they followed their own patterns(biggest hit takes it) she’d have won. Gaga didn’t win because Pop voters love her(even if they do) but because she was the safest pick. They saw her nominated across the board, knew she was winning Duo/Group, and voted for her in both categories just to make sure Miss Havana or Post Malone wouldn’t win. It could’ve been Beck or Ariana if GIAW was a big hit like No Tears.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s unknowable. We’ll simply never know for the time being. They kept the secret committee business under wraps for decades now. And most people don’t even know about it. If they make more changes to the prerogatives of the committee, we’ll never know unless it leaks to the press. To me, the Joanne win in Best Pop Solo, and Shallow loss in SoTY just don’t add up, hence my concern. Now if Gambino won for Feels Like Summer (which would’ve been as surprising as Joanne’s win), I can see him being that name check everywhere this year, but he didn’t.

Also the Grammy’s have always been shady anyway, even the media say it: https://slate.com/culture/2011/02/the-grammys-the-secret-committee-that-alters-the-membership-s-nominations.html

That Pop Solo category was utter trash. She was going up against two teenyboppers, Beck with an unknown song and a Hip Hop artist. Gaga’s momentum with ASIB is THE main reason she won that category.

However, she was going up against songs in the general field that had the whole year to peak and made a lot of impact. Before the ASIB hype, I said “This Is America” was the frontrunner to win. There’s no committee. People liked TIA more.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Believe me: the main reason Joanne won Pop Solo was the weakness of the frontrunners. Camila Cabello isn’t big, relevant or credible enough to win a Grammy and if they followed their own patterns(biggest hit takes it) she’d have won. Gaga didn’t win because Pop voters love her(even if they do) but because she was the safest pick. They saw her nominated across the board, knew she was winning Duo/Group, and voted for her in both categories just to make sure Miss Havana or Post Malone wouldn’t win. It could’ve been Beck or Ariana if GIAW was a big hit like No Tears.

I don’t think there was a vendetta against any of the other nominees. You’re reading too much into it. Voters liked Camila Cabello and, to an extent, Post Malone enough to vote them into the pop categories in the first place. Camila, in particular, had a Pop Album nomination that no one was anticipating. And we know for a fact that Post Malone had enough votes in Album and Record of the Year to contend in those categories, and would have been a frontrunner for Best New Artist had he not been ruled ineligible. (Camila too.)

Maybe Camila, Ariana, and Post split the top 40 vote. I’m not sure what went down. But given the bevy of nominations Gaga received, it seems clear to me that voters really liked A Star Is Born and voted FOR Gaga, not against any of her competitors.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mindi Palmer
    Participant
    Topics:

You are the one who’s been predicting Taylor for 3 months for Best Pop Vocal Album…I mean it’s clear that Joanne won because of Gaga’s relevancy and star-power right now…And as for Best Pop Vocal Album, I honestly think P!NK was 2nd followed by Kelly and Taylor- there was no hype or motive for voters to vote for Taylor this year to win (the only one in that category with a single nomination) so you have no idea about Grammys- and again, Lady Gaga is in her MOMENT, she won against a smash-worldwide hit with an album track…Shallow losing soty and roty is because of This Is America’s political statement and because Shallow was too “new” to sweep

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Mindi Palmer.
    ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Call me crazy but I think if Gaga waited with Shallow for the next year and she would have an Oscar to back her up it could work very well for her and she could sweep in 2020- Soty and Roty are usually more than 1 year old (Hello, Rolling In The Deep, Thinking Out Loud, 24K Magic, That’s What I Like, Uptown Funk, Need You Now, Single Ladies, Use Somebody, We Are Young, Somebody That I Used To Know were ALL more than a year old when they won, some of them were even almost 1,5 years old when they won! Same with AOTY! They choose the song that represented the year, not the song which is the most popular at the moment and Shallow is doing great right now (#1 on Itunes after 4 months, it peaked only at #5 because of lack of radio support- she is winning an Oscar and with a great performance at the grammys and oscars Shallow would probably sweep in 2020

A sweep by Gaga would be received negatively by the media.

Personally I don’t like sweeps. What’s interesting about the Oscars, Baftas etc.. is that they share the wealth. They don’t give everything to the same movie.

Grammy voters don’t understand that, which is why I think they won’t stick to the popular vote anymore. Even if they did this year (which we don’t know), they will eventually come up with a system that adds some counter-weight to the popular vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Plus, like PoweR said, that category was a trainwreck from the start, emphasized by a terrible submission choice from Ariana Grande. However, I still think she would have lost even with “No Tears Left to Cry”.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I think what you are talking about is more of a genre bias, Bruno just won with an accesible R&B album.Not everybody likes rap and urban music so that’s the reason they lose,not being black.

Bruno’s brand of R&B was only “accessible” because he was already a pop star. He was able to sell it. Plus, he’s racially ambiguous.

We can have this talk when you see a PJ Morton, Bryson Tiller, Daniel Caesar, Ro James, Usher, etc. make it into AOTY and win it.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think there was a vendetta against any of the other nominees. You’re reading too much into it. Voters liked Camila Cabello and, to an extent, Post Malone enough to vote them into the pop categories in the first place. Camila, in particular, had a Pop Album nomination that no one was anticipating. And we know for a fact that Post Malone had enough votes in Album and Record of the Year to contend in those categories, and would have been a frontrunner for Best New Artist had he not been ruled ineligible. (Camila too.) Maybe Camila, Ariana, and Post split the top 40 vote. I’m not sure what went down. But given the bevy of nominations Gaga received, it seems clear to me that voters really liked A Star Is Born and voted FOR Gaga, not against any of her competitors.

It’s not a vendetta. But artists like Camila never win and Post is the type of artist that “had” to be nominated because of his huge sales but they wouldn’t really vote for him to win.

I always told you Camila wouldn’t win. This award was always between Ariana, Gaga and Beck. And not because of their merits, because they would be filler nominees in a strong category.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Winners:
    1. Adele
    2. Adele
    3. Lorde
    4. Pharrell
    5. Ed Sheeran
    6. Adele
    7. Ed Sheeran
    8. Lady Gaga

Camila didn’t fit the mold, aside from her having a #1 hit. Even then, the other years were when #1 hits dominated the nominations. She’s lucky she got that nomination because it was a joke.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

You are the one who’s been predicting Taylor for 3 months for Best Pop Vocal Album…I mean it’s clear that Joanne won because of Gaga’s relevancy and star-power right now…And as for Best Pop Vocal Album, I honestly think P!NK was 2nd followed by Kelly and Taylor- there was no hype or motive for voters to vote for Taylor this year to win (the only one in that category with a single nomination) so you have no idea about Grammys- and again, Lady Gaga is in her MOMENT, she won against a smash-worldwide hit with an album track…Shallow losing soty and roty is because of This Is America’s political statement and because Shallow was too “new” to sweep

If Havana couldn’t win such a weak category, it wouldn’t win anyway. On the other hand, Gaga wouldn’t have won if the category was strong(even Shallow couldn’t, come on), but she managed to win over 2 smash hits and another top 10 hit because the artists were “inferior”.

I was wrong about Reputation (thank God), but my prediction was based on the fact that Divide won over Joanne and Rainbow even with Sheeran acting offended about his snubs and declining to attend. And The Weeknd winning against SZA and Gambino(AOTY nominee) with a sole nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.