Home Forums Music what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

what have we learned from 2019 Grammy awards?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 159 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
Darren
PoweR
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Just speculating here, but there may be a bias against artists like Ariana and Camila since they’re young singers who make a brand of pop music that could be seen by many as frilly, generic, superficial. It’s telling that Ariana won Pop Album, but lost Pop Solo to Gaga, who has reinvented herself as a more rootsy, raw type of pop singer.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Just speculating here, but there may be a bias against artists like Ariana and Camila since they’re young singers who make a brand of pop music that could be seen by many as frilly, generic, superficial. It’s telling that Ariana won Pop Album, but lost Pop Solo to Gaga, who has reinvented herself as a more rootsy, raw type of pop singer.

Christina and Britney racked up nominations, but lost to more serious songs by Sarah McLachlan and Macy Gray. When Christina made “Beautiful,” she won.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

A sweep by Gaga would be received negatively by the media. Personally I don’t like sweeps. What’s interesting about the Oscars, Baftas etc.. is that they share the wealth. They don’t give everything to the same movie. Grammy voters don’t understand that, which is why I think they won’t stick to the popular vote anymore. Even if they did this year (which we don’t know), they will eventually come up with a system that adds some counter-weight to the popular vote.

The media loves Gaga. She never faces backlash for anything, even the R Kelly thing was muted in like, 2 days and even turned it around after she wrote that (not great) apology letter.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s what I’ve always said but you always said I was wrong.

Ariana managed to overcome it (to my surprise) because she really became HUGE this year after previous nominations. Now she’s an exception to the rule, just like Xtina was.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  MarinaBelo2.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

“No Tears Left to Cry” could have been more competitive. As said many times, “God is a Woman” was a silly submission.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s what I’ve always said but you always said I was wrong.

Well, clearly I was to an extent. But you also said Ariana wasn’t winning a Grammy because of her Nickelodeon background, so we can be wrong together. 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

And Taylor struggled with her submissions in Female Pop and Pop Solo. Don’t see how Camila would have overcome that.

Take a look at Female Pop and Male Pop. Ricky Martin lost twice to Sting’s non-hits, and non-hits/minor hits won those categories when those fluffy pop stars were nominated.

For example: “Fantasy” losing to “No More “I Love You’s,” even though “Fantasy” was probably more Grammy-friendly than those Grande and Cabello songs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana won last night for two reasons – she’s one of the most dominant forces in pop music right now, yes, but I also think voters wanted to show their support after all the personal setbacks she’s had recently: Manchester, Mac Miller, her failed engagement, etc.

Both of those, and the fact that she had a #1 hit during the voting period, are why I quickly changed my prediction from Taylor Swift, who only managed one nomination in total for her widely disliked album, to her.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, clearly I was to an extent. But you also said Ariana wasn’t winning a Grammy because of her Nickelodeon background, so we can be wrong together. 🙂

But I predicted Ariana for Pop Solo. I believed she was finally going to overcome that bias, so I was only partially wrong. 😀

Thing is, Camila was never winning a Grammy so easily. If Gaga was replaced by Kelly, P!nk or Aguilera, the result would probably be the same. The ASIB factor was what helped Gaga to get the nom over those 3.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jerry
    Participant
    Topics:

That rooting for simply the most successful project will never work even if a trend is set. Ariana by history was unlikely to win that Grammy in a statistical eye but I understand why she won now. All of the work by the 3 veterans in the category (Taylor, Kelly, and P!nk) were a negative departure from their best even if the albums were just as good or even better than Sweetener. I think Ariana may have gotten lucky though. Next year with Taylor’s new album she could be shut out entirely from the main categories yet again if Taylor releases a good project with competitive sales (it can help even if it isn’t the deciding factor.) Ariana has basically in so many ways said that this single was the last for the album. That would mean that the album would go nearly 10 months without any new promotion or singles. Taylor is instead likely debuting a single between March-May and her album between July-September. That would be perfect for her to sweep.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

That rooting for simply the most successful project will never work even if a trend is set. Ariana by history was unlikely to win that Grammy in a statistical eye but I understand why she won now. All of the work by the 3 veterans in the category (Taylor, Kelly, and P!nk) were a negative departure from their best even if the albums were just as good or even better than Sweetener. I think Ariana may have gotten lucky though. Next year with Taylor’s new album she could be shut out entirely from the main categories yet again if Taylor releases a good project with competitive sales (it can help even if it isn’t the deciding factor.) Ariana has basically in so many ways said that this single was the last for the album. That would mean that the album would go nearly 10 months without any new promotion or singles. Taylor is instead likely debuting a single between March-May and her album between July-September. That would be perfect for her to sweep.

Ariana won because she had the biggest era. Reputation and BT had bigger sales but the eras were non-events. Shawn and Havana were lucky to be nominated and Kelly was the biggest flop.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mindi Palmer
    Participant
    Topics:

If Havana couldn’t win such a weak category, it wouldn’t win anyway. On the other hand, Gaga wouldn’t have won if the category was strong(even Shallow couldn’t, come on), but she managed to win over 2 smash hits and another top 10 hit because the artists were “inferior”. I was wrong about Reputation (thank God), but my prediction was based on the fact that Divide won over Joanne and Rainbow even with Sheeran acting offended about his snubs and declining to attend. And The Weeknd winning against SZA and Gambino(AOTY nominee) with a sole nomination.

I know where you come from but The Weeknd’s case was a comittee pick while Taylor didn’t get the votes…I also think that if Ariana would lose P!NK and also maybe Kelly would come before Taylor (they just didn’t like this era, same with Sam Smith (winner of 3 GF nominations) who missed a nom against Shawn and Camila)

ReplyCopy URL
    JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana won last night for two reasons – she’s one of the most dominant forces in pop music right now, yes, but I also think voters wanted to show their support after all the personal setbacks she’s had recently: Manchester, Mac Miller, her failed engagement, etc.

Both of those, and the fact that she had a #1 hit during the voting period, are why I quickly changed my prediction from Taylor Swift, who only managed one nomination in total for her widely disliked album, to her.

Agree.
    And I think that if she had submitted ‘No Tears Left to Cry’ she would’ve won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mindi Palmer
    Participant
    Topics:

Of course, she can reinvents her “reputation” and gains acclaim and GP back- the same what Gaga did with ASIB

ReplyCopy URL
    Matthew Porter
    Participant
    Topics:

Joanne’s win in the Pop category was fairly shocking. Everyone would agree that she had a better chance to win SOTY than to win Pop Solo. It’s clear that the pop panel loves her (see her sweep this year) but she has a hard time in the general field. If you value several noms over few awards, this might be a good thing for her. Now ASIB can be nominated for AOTY next year and be fairly competitive. If Shallow had won SOTY this year, ASIB would likely not be in AOTY

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.