Home Forums Music Who was the favourite to win the AOTY back in 1985? (Lionel’s win)

Who was the favourite to win the AOTY back in 1985? (Lionel’s win)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
arodfan
kingofrapmusi..
Ghost
  • Profile picture
    kingofrapmusic17
    Topics:

I don’t think anyone even mentioned Thriller before you did

Purple Rain is 13x Platinum in the US, spawned four classic top 10 hits, is one of the most acclaimed albums of all time (and absolutely on par with Thriller according to critics) and even won an Oscar. Thriller has it beat in terms of videography but musically-wise, they’re absolutely equal

Purple Rain did more than enough to win AOTY even with the crazy standards back then. It’s ridiculous that it lost to a vastly inferior album

Thriller got 6 classic top 10 hits. The project along with the ET soundtrack won 9 Grammys from 1984-1985. Plus at the 1985 Grammys, MJ’s award win was televised and Wendy and Lisa presenter it to Jackson though he wasn’t at the event. I don’t see any video of Prince accepting the Grammys he won that year even though he was there. Thriller has 3 iconic music videos. 4 of you count “Say Say Say”. I’m not counting The Jacksons’ “Victory” music videos. Those were cringey. But the Victory Tour was highly successful and Thriller was the number one album worldwide in 1983 and 1984.

As for Lionel Richie, Can’t Slow Down was a big hit internationally. It was on the year end charts worldwide in 1984. They are great songs. It is what it is. I like Purple Rain better but this isn’t the AMAs. The Academy chose the winner and Lionel won Album of the Year plus an Oscar later on. He was on a roll until the end of 1987 due to family issues.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Thriller got 6 classic top 10 hits. The project along with the ET soundtrack won 9 Grammys from 1984-1985. Plus at the 1985 Grammys, MJ’s award win was televised and Wendy and Lisa presenter it to Jackson though he wasn’t at the event. I don’t see any video of Prince accepting the Grammys he won that year even though he was there. Thriller has 3 iconic music videos. 4 of you count “Say Say Say”. I’m not counting The Jacksons’ “Victory” music videos. Those were cringey. But the Victory Tour was highly successful and Thriller was the number one album worldwide in 1983 and 1984. As for Lionel Richie, Can’t Slow Down was a big hit internationally. It was on the year end charts worldwide in 1984. They are great songs. It is what it is. I like Purple Rain better but this isn’t the AMAs. The Academy chose the winner and Lionel won Album of the Year plus an Oscar later on. He was on a roll until the end of 1987 due to family issues.

All of this has literally nothing to do with me saying that Purple Rain is just as good as Thriller but yeah ok

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supp Actress - Glenn Close
    Best Supp Actor - Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

And arguably the best ROTY ever

The best ROTY ever is, and will always be, “Hotel California”, thank you.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

Had Lionel Richie not won AOTY, he would have been the only nominated artist to go home emptyhanded.

Didn’t he win Producer of the Year too?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kingofrapmusic17
    Topics:

All of this has literally nothing to do with me saying that Purple Rain is just as good as Thriller but yeah ok

Yes it does. You just don’t have an answer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Didn’t he win Producer of the Year too?

I stand corrected.

And he won against Prince & The Revolution. He was probably the most “obvious” choice, going by Grammy standards.

And I remember reading Paul’s analysis as to how Lionel could win. He said that Bruce and Prince could split the rock vote, Cyndi was still considered “too new” and “novelty,” and Tina would get her due in ROTY and smaller tier categories. This was back when Paul Grein was actually a Grammy guru.

ReplyCopy URL

I love Lionel Richie and Can’t Slow Down is a good album, but let’s be real: he had no business winning over these albums. Three of these albums are considered to be among the greatest of all time, and Private Dancer is one of the best albums of the ’80s. The Recording Academy went with the safest choice possible.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

The ranking should’ve been:

1. Purple Rain

2. Born in the U.S.A.

3. She’s So Unusual

4. Private Dancer

5. Can’t Slow Down

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.