Home Forums Music WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020

WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 331 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
replies
views
users
M
ELIAS
ayanami
WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020
ALWAYS REMEMBER US THIS WAY (Lady GaGa)
BAD GUY (Billie Eilish)
BRING MY FLOWERS NOW (Tanya Tucker)
HARD PLACE (H.E.R.)
LOVER (Taylor Swift)
NORMAN F***ING ROCKWELL (Lana Del Rey)
SOMEONE YOU LOVED (Lewis Capaldi)
TRUTH HURTS (Lizzo)
  • Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Ehh, I still think this category is between Truth Hurts and Someone You Loved.

ReplyCopy URL
    supermodelslegs
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s kinda funny how half of the nominees are best written songs (“Bring My Flowers Now”, “Norman fucking Rockwell”, “Hard Place”, “Always Remember Us This Way”) are the least likely to win.

I consider “Lover” and “Someone You Loved” right in the middle of the pack; Lover is obviously better than SYL, but they’re both basic love ballads that are safe choices for a win but not particularly exciting.

That leaves “bad guy” and “Truth Hurts”, the two that fit the bill of past SOTY winners. When comparing the two, Truth Hurts stands out lyrically much more than bad guy; the beauty in bad guy is its production in my opinion. I would prefer one of the four better written songs to win, but since there’s a slim to none chance that that will happen, I’m going to have to go with Truth Hurts to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    JustGuy89
    Participant
    Topics:

I just heard bring my flowers now. And wow! If that’s not the most beautiful song I’ve ever heard then I don’t what is. If Taylor doesn’t get this, then Miss Tanya can. Heck I will move Flowers to my number 1 pick.

ReplyCopy URL
    River
    Participant
    Topics:

How is ARUTW “well written”?

“You look at me and, baby, I wanna catch on fire”

“Every time we say goodbye, baby, it hurts”

“When you look at me and the whole world fades”

ugh really? cliche and basic af

ReplyCopy URL
    ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

How is ARUTW “well written”?

The melody and arrangement. Its the best written song in the category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lotus
    Participant
    Topics:

“Always Remember Us This Way,” “Lover,“ “Norman fucking Rockwell” and “Someone You Loved” ain’t well-written.

ReplyCopy URL
    River
    Participant
    Topics:

The melody and arrangement. Its the best written song in the category.

Not even that. Norman F***ing Rockwell and Lover are superior

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

“You look at me and, baby, I wanna catch on fire”

This is actually a clever line because it plays on the preceding one: “The Arizona sky burning in your eyes.”

It’s a simple but effective love song. “Lover” is not better lyrically. It’s a better production than it is a song. The lyrics are extremely cheesy… “I take this magnetic force of a man to be my lover” being exhibit A.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Hard Place, Truth Hurts, Bring My Flowers Now, and Norman Fucking Rockwell are the only nominees with lyrics that are above average. ARUTW is kinda cheesy but effective. The others are ass.

• This reply was modified 6 days ago by  Boz.
    • This reply was modified 5 days, 19 hours ago by  Boz.
    ReplyCopy URL
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

how are you gonna say one song is cheesy and then say truth hurts has above average lyrics just cuz it has a few overdone sassy quotes

lover is of course cheesy to the max, fortunately I’m not lactose intolerant

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

People need to stop pretending that “Truth Hurts” is anything more than lightweight.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

People need to stop pretending that “Truth Hurts” is anything more than lightweight.

And Bad Guy isn’t?

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

I love the song and I love Lizzo and am actually rooting for it in both ROTY/SOTY… but yeah it’s lightweight. It’s basically a bunch of instagram quotes.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Basically everything Billie Eilish does is lightweight, but that never stopped you from campaigning for her on these boards.

“Truth Hurts” and Lizzo don’t take themselves seriously. They are meant to be lightweight.

ReplyCopy URL
    skinner3
    Participant
    Topics:

Why does everyone use the nominations for Best Pop Solo Performance as evidence for the Song of the Year category? Unfortunately, for some reason, there are not two distinct categories for Best Pop Song and Best Pop Solo Performance as is the case for most, if not all, other genres. However, in those genres, there is most definitely a distinction between the *song* and the *performance.* While ‘Truth Hurts’ and ‘Bad Guy’ both received more votes than ‘Someone You Loved,’ ‘Always Remember Us This Way,’ and ‘Norman Fucking Rockwell’ for Best Pop Solo *Performance,* there is absolutely NO relevant data to predict how they will vote when these songs are placed together in a category focused on the *songwriting* aspect of each.

I see this ‘evidence’ cited over and over and don’t get how it gets repeated as gospel. Additionally, if the top 5 are chosen by each voter checking off 5 songs from a laundry list, this is NOT a “popular vote” at all. If a song like “Truth Hurts” was split by a lot of 3rd-choice and a lot of unofficial 10th-choice ‘votes’ but squeezed in, while “ARUTW” received a handful of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ‘votes’ but majority of unofficial 6th-choice ‘votes’ then it is impossible to predict the voting behavior when the selections are narrowed to 8/5 songs.

There was a clear direction to reward songwriting this year since the ROTY/SOTY choices look more varied than ever before; looking at the rest of the nominations and thinking that translates to meaningful data is simply not right.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 331 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.