Home Forums Music WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020

WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 351 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
ELIAS
ayanami
WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020
ALWAYS REMEMBER US THIS WAY (Lady GaGa)
BAD GUY (Billie Eilish)
BRING MY FLOWERS NOW (Tanya Tucker)
HARD PLACE (H.E.R.)
LOVER (Taylor Swift)
NORMAN F***ING ROCKWELL (Lana Del Rey)
SOMEONE YOU LOVED (Lewis Capaldi)
TRUTH HURTS (Lizzo)
  • kenboi99
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, but we don’t talk about it because we believe it, we talk about it because it sounds lame and creepy. People don’t talk about bad songs because they’re effective; they talk about them because their flaws are way too obvious not to point out. I hope Bad Guy is not the peak of Billie’s career nor an indicator of her success. It’d suck to see someone so talented be defined by such a bad song.

but it’s only you guy that talk hate it. Every where else she gets praise and is all over decade/year list. So it looks like she succeeds in making the rebel image.

ReplyCopy URL
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

color me shocked but I didn’t realize pop lyrics were meant to be analyzed as some kind of poetic ethics guidelines

bad guy’s lyrics did their job, they set up the persona of billie: spiritually empty teen-goth angst with a love life, plus it’s ridiculously phonologically thrilling

ReplyCopy URL
    Lotus
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie still got the girls shook!

ReplyCopy URL
    supermodelslegs
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s not a lyrically deep song either, but it’s much, much better.

It wouldn’t be my personal pick to win this category, so not sure why you and Power feel the need to bring Billie up at every opportunity.

I’m curious what your personal pick would be? I (and everyone else) just assumed Billie was your personal choice as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Bad Guy isn’t about “stealing dads” though.

It’s about Billie wanting to get along so badly with her crush/love-interest that she’s willing to be the “bad type” like him. And it’s the whole them of the song.

The lyric literally kicks off with “so you’re a tough guy…”. In other words, if he’s a tough guy, like it really rough guy, she can be the bad type etc.. (so that they can be a match).

It’s Bonnie & Clyde type of theme, nothing too shocking or “creepy”.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

How is ARUTW “well written”?

“You look at me and, baby, I wanna catch on fire”

“Every time we say goodbye, baby, it hurts”

“When you look at me and the whole world fades”

ugh really? cliche and basic af

Because the song manages to reference multiple times in clever lyrics the man she’s singing about, the fact he’s from Arizona, the heat of Arizona is burning in his eyes that she wanna catch on fire, the fact that he’s a singer “lovers in the night, poets trying to write” references that famous car parking scene at night where they came up with Shallow.

Lover is generic however. Because what’s the meaning of generic? Something that’s very generalistic and could be just sung about anybody. It has nothing personal or special in it. And that’s what Lover is. It really isn’t TS’ best songwriting. “Can I go where you go? Cuz you’re my lover”…

What makes “All too well” a great song, is the same personal touch/references that I’m talking about in ARUTW. You could tell what TS is singing about and she conveys it in a clever way. That’s absent from Lover.

ReplyCopy URL
    kenboi99
    Participant
    Topics:

color me shocked but I didn’t realize pop lyrics were meant to be analyzed as some kind of poetic ethics guidelines bad guy’s lyrics did their job, they set up the persona of billie: spiritually empty teen-goth angst with a love life, plus it’s ridiculously phonologically thrilling

exactly. It’s not trying to be deep.

ReplyCopy URL
    kenboi99
    Participant
    Topics:

ARUTW is ok but it has lazy bridge. She couldn’t think of any lyric?

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

If we can’t analyze the lyrics of “Bad Guy” just because it’s a pop song, then the same thing should apply for “Truth Hurts.”

As a matter of fact, majority of the songs shouldn’t be analyzed if that’s the case.

Still, “Bad Guy” is not a well-written song and it’s certainly not leaps and bounds over “Truth Hurts,” which NO ONE (including Lizzo herself) really takes seriously as some deep, profound lyrical piece. I see people taking Billie Eilish as this “serious” act because her music is Pitchfork’d. That’s not the case with Lizzo’s music.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

To me I wouldn’t want either Bad Guy or Truth Hurts winning this.

I’d be happy with either Gaga, Tanya or H.E.R taking it. Even though it’s unlikely. Those are the 3 best written songs in this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Taylor!

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

brandi carlile and h.e.r. are both very… technical songwriters, you can’t really pick their compositions apart but there’s no added dimension, nothing inspiring in what they do, even though the songs are in the upper echelon of the nominated mix I just have no desire to see them win, nor the pop girls for their B-shelf stuff (I love NFR, but the real hero here is the arrangement), this category is pretty terrible actually

ReplyCopy URL
    mnk7
    Participant
    Topics:

Norman fucking Rockwell’s lyrics are iconic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Bad Guy isn’t about “stealing dads” though. It’s about Billie wanting to get along so badly with her crush/love-interest that she’s willing to be the “bad type” like him. And it’s the whole them of the song. The lyric literally kicks off with “so you’re a tough guy…”. In other words, if he’s a tough guy, like it really rough guy, she can be the bad type etc.. (so that they can be a match). It’s Bonnie & Clyde type of theme, nothing too shocking or “creepy”.

Exactly. I seriously can’t believe how dense people are when it comes to this lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Bad Guy isn’t about “stealing dads” though.

It’s about Billie wanting to get along so badly with her crush/love-interest that she’s willing to be the “bad type” like him. And it’s the whole them of the song.

The lyric literally kicks off with “so you’re a tough guy…”. In other words, if he’s a tough guy, like it really rough guy, she can be the bad type etc.. (so that they can be a match).

It’s Bonnie & Clyde type of theme, nothing too shocking or “creepy”.

That’s kind of a Radio Disney explanation. It’s clear that there are multiple sexual implications throughout the song:
    “Bruises on both my knees for you
    Don’t say thank you, oh please I do”
    “I like it when you take control
    Even if you know that you don’t own me, I’ll let you play the role
    I’ll be your animal”

But the line I find most yuck isn’t the one about stealing dads, it’s this:
    “My mommy likes to sing along with me but she won’t sing this song
    If she reads all the lyrics she’ll pity the men I know”

It’s clear that the whole purpose of the song is “oh look I’m a bad bitch at 17” teenage rebellion stuff, but it just feels kinda lazy and jailbaity, especially for a song everyone claims is “unique”.

Of course, just my opinion. And again, I really hope more songs lile xanny, when the party’s over, and bury a friend define her, not bad guy.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 351 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.