Home Forums Music WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020

WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 351 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
ELIAS
ayanami
WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020
ALWAYS REMEMBER US THIS WAY (Lady GaGa)
BAD GUY (Billie Eilish)
BRING MY FLOWERS NOW (Tanya Tucker)
HARD PLACE (H.E.R.)
LOVER (Taylor Swift)
NORMAN F***ING ROCKWELL (Lana Del Rey)
SOMEONE YOU LOVED (Lewis Capaldi)
TRUTH HURTS (Lizzo)
  • ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone else think that the scandal surrounding who wrote “Truth Hurts” might affect it? Im seriously considering an upset will happen in this category.

Sam Smith won SOTY despite the plagiarism claims. The voters don’t care about that legal sh*t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jerry
    Participant
    Topics:

Lover is a very big contender. I do think that it is tied with bad guy and Truth Hurts on chances of winning though. I think Lover may have a slight advantage since it’s the freshest song here but It’s also not a mega hit, only a moderate one at this point. I think if Taylor wins anything at all it’ll be for this. I think she could’ve slam dunked a win if she submitted this in Pop Solo as well instead of YNTCD which merely got nominated because of its cultural impact.

ReplyCopy URL
    Snb
    Participant
    Topics:

Taylor was nominated previously in this category with three huge hits and iconic songs; You Belong With Me, Shake if Off, Blank Space, and didn’t win with any of them, and she has much more iconic songs in her discography, so giving the win to Billie Ellish on her first nomination and at the start of her career is big NO NO from me, also Billie is so far one hit pony with bad guy, the other songs she is pushing from the album are lowkey flopping, compare this to 1989 push when literally EVERY SINGLE from the album was HIT. Shake It Off, Blank Space, Style, Wildest Dreams, Bad Blood, or even to other previous Taylor eras.. Billie also didn’t prove much yet in the songwriting department or in the music industry, its to SOON to award her this prestigious award. Lizzo, the same thing, but she proven even less than Billie yet, plus the scandal with who is the songwriter of the song, just not please.

GRAMMY’s should do the right thing for once, if you are making category which is supposed to award songwriters, there is no more perfect person to finally award than Taylor in this category, who is OVERDUE as f*ck there, and not only because she is 4-time nominee in this category, she deserve the award, periodt. Lover is great song to award Taylor also, self-written, non-mainstream song, moderate hit, pop ballad with country & folk hints, critically acclaimed, liked by her fellow songwriters.

GRAMMY’S. DON’T. F*CK. IT. UP.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Snb.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Snb.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Sheeow
    Participant
    Topics:

Taylor was nominated previously in this category with three huge hits and iconic songs; You Belong With Me, Shake if Off, Blank Space, and didn’t win with any of them, and she has much more iconic songs in her discography, so giving the win to Billie Ellish on her first nomination and at the start of her career is big NO NO from me, also Billie is so far one hit pony with bad guy, the other songs she is pushing from the album are lowkey flopping, compare this to 1989 push when literally EVERY SINGLE from the album was HIT. Shake It Off, Blank Space, Style, Wildest Dreams, Bad Blood, or even to other previous Taylor eras.. Billie also didn’t prove much yet in the songwriting department or in the music industry, its to SOON to award her this prestigious award. Lizzo, the same thing, but she proven even less than Billie yet, plus the scandal with who is the songwriter of the song, just not please. GRAMMY’s should do the right thing for once, if you are making category which is supposed to award songwriters, there is no more perfect person to finally award than Taylor in this category, who is OVERDUE as f*ck there, and not only because she is 4-time nominee in this category, she deserve the award, periodt. Lover is great song to award Taylor also, self-written, non-mainstream song, moderate hit, pop ballad with country & folk hints, critically acclaimed, liked by her fellow songwriters. GRAMMY’S. DON’T. F*CK. IT. UP.

Do the right thing would mean awarding Always Remember Us This Way.

ReplyCopy URL
    GoesBoom
    Participant
    Topics:

Taylor was nominated previously in this category with three huge hits and iconic songs; You Belong With Me, Shake if Off, Blank Space, and didn’t win with any of them, and she has much more iconic songs in her discography, so giving the win to Billie Ellish on her first nomination and at the start of her career is big NO NO from me, also Billie is so far one hit pony with bad guy, the other songs she is pushing from the album are lowkey flopping, compare this to 1989 push when literally EVERY SINGLE from the album was HIT. Shake It Off, Blank Space, Style, Wildest Dreams, Bad Blood, or even to other previous Taylor eras.. Billie also didn’t prove much yet in the songwriting department or in the music industry, its to SOON to award her this prestigious award. Lizzo, the same thing, but she proven even less than Billie yet, plus the scandal with who is the songwriter of the song, just not please. GRAMMY’s should do the right thing for once, if you are making category which is supposed to award songwriters, there is no more perfect person to finally award than Taylor in this category, who is OVERDUE as f*ck there, and not only because she is 4-time nominee in this category, she deserve the award, periodt. Lover is great song to award Taylor also, self-written, non-mainstream song, moderate hit, pop ballad with country & folk hints, critically acclaimed, liked by her fellow songwriters. GRAMMY’S. DON’T. F*CK. IT. UP.

Using the words “overdue” and “Taylor Swift” together when talking about the Grammys is laughable. She has 2 AOTYs when better albums and artists have been snubbed. I don’t understand why her stans are picking this hill to die on. When looking back on the music of 2019, Lover (the song and the album) will not be what defined it, inspired it, or even be a super memorable. Her taking the win in this category (or any of her noms tbh) would be another miss by the Grammy voters.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

With all these remixes and releases Lover is becoming the next Old Town Road lol

ReplyCopy URL
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/awards/8545943/taylor-swift-grammys-ad-campaign-lover-song-of-the-year lol

I really hope Taylor wins this year. Lover is a phenomenal track. I don’t know how I feel about it’s chart placement and it should have went up since it’s time for the holidays, but rather I am glad the artists is the only artists credited as a songwriter and no one else. Taylor would deserve it.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

not sure what to feel about the “give her the award cuz she’s never won” pitch, this season is looking more and more like the oscars with all the campaigns

ReplyCopy URL
    Sheeow
    Participant
    Topics:

Taylor does not deserve SOTY with Lover, it’s such a bland and mediocrely written song, the fact that it is self written doesn’t make it any better.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

not sure what to feel about the “give her the award cuz she’s never won” pitch, this season is looking more and more like the oscars with all the campaigns

Ikr it’s crazy. Last year virtually nobody campaigned, from the frontrunners, not Gambino, not Kendrick and not Kacey.

Even Gaga didn’t actually campaign despite the fact that she was in the running for an Oscar. She did those interviews in September/October about ASIB release, and pretty much did very little afterwards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jerry
    Participant
    Topics:

Taylor does not deserve SOTY with Lover, it’s such a bland and mediocrely written song, the fact that it is self written doesn’t make it any better.

I’d disagree. It’s sonically and lyricall delightful and far better written than anything else on this list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d disagree. It’s sonically and lyricall delightful and far better written than anything else on this list.

Lizzo, H.E.R, Lady Gaga, and Lana del Rey disagree.

ReplyCopy URL
    KaRol
    Participant
    Topics:

i’m going with Bad Guy (same as with ROY), with the close 2nd being Truth Hurts.

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

In my opinion, this is one of the best Song of the Year lineups they’ve had in recent years. I find none of the songs appalling unlike the years we had stuff like “The Middle,” “That’s What I Like” and “I Took a Pill in Ibiza.” So, I can’t say I’d be mad if they picked anyone; however, I do have my favorites: “Lover” and “Norman fucking Rockwell.”

Here are reasons why I feel voters would pick certain songs over the other:

“Always Remember Us This Way”
    Natalie Hemby, Lady Gaga, Hillary Lindsey & Lori McKenna, songwriters (Lady Gaga)

As was clearly the case in 2019 with “Joanne (Where Do You Think You’re Goin’)” winning Pop Solo Performance after being robbed of the trophy the year before (though Kesha was another hot competitor), voters might want to remedy Lady Gaga’s SOTY loss from 2019 as well. She undoubtedly had one of the best entries in the lineup in 2019, but sadly lost to “This Is America.”

“bad guy”
    Billie Eilish O’Connell & Finneas O’Connell, songwriters (Billie Eilish)

I don’t really need to spell this one out. She’s the it girl of 2019. Legit Billboard’s woman of the year. And of course, there’s no denying “bad guy” is a fun and catchy pop tune, rhythmic and concise, and has other elements of a good song. Voters would want to be pick her with the idea that she might have clean sweep. They might also pick her because they just like the song.

“Bring My Flowers Now”
    Brandi Carlile, Phil Hanseroth, Tim Hanseroth & Tanya Tucker, songwriters (Tanya Tucker)

As is the case with Gaga, voters might want to give Carlile a win to remedy the damage of last year. Also, it might be a way of paying due homage to Tanya Tucker, who, as of the time of this post, has not won a single Grammy.

“Hard Place”
    Ruby Amanfu, Sam Ashworth, D. Arcelious Harris, H.E.R. & Rodney Jerkins, songwriters (H.E.R.)

H.E.R. was one of 2019’s breakthrough artists at the Grammys. In 2019, she picked two Grammys, which indicates that she has left a somewhat remarkable impression on the Recording Academy, especially its R&B voters. This year, it became clear that H.E.R. is here to stay with yet another five nominations pointing to that, also indicating her Recording Academy fan base still has her back. Her 2019 Grammys Performance must’ve also gone a good job at buying votes. It’s also very much a possibility that voters for this song will most likely pick it because they simply like it.

“Lover”
    Taylor Swift, songwriter (Taylor Swift)

Taylor is no stranger to love from the Recording Academy having won Album of the Year twice, and, as at the time of this post, holding the record for the youngest Album of the Year winner. Past glory aside, “Lover” has been praised by critics as one of Swift’s best writing till date, with which I agree. It’s stripped, airy, coordinated and reminiscent of past Song of the Year winner “Thinking Out Loud.” Voters might liken it to that song and might give it a vote. Again, they might give it their vote simply because they like the song.

“Norman fucking Rockwell”
    Jack Antonoff & Lana Del Rey, songwriters (Lana Del Rey)

Lana Del Rey worked on this song with previous Song of the Year winner Jack Antonoff. The song in itself is one of the most critically acclaimed of the lineup, and there’s no denying its brilliant composition and lyrics. Voters, however, may be drawn to this for its message. Though not from Del Rey’s perspective, the song seemingly is in the subliminal light of the #MeToo movement with lyrics like “But I don’t get bored, I just see you through” and the entire chorus indicating a woman under some form of pressure by a man. It’s very subtle in its approach to that matter and may get the attention of voters.

“Someone You Loved”
    Tom Barnes, Lewis Capaldi, Pete Kelleher, Benjamin Kohn & Sam Roman, songwriters (Lewis Capaldi)

Yet another breakout star of 2019 with his standalone nomination being in this category.”Someone You Loved” is a good song and that may be about the only thing voters would consider here.

“Truth Hurts”
    Steven Cheung, Eric Frederic, Melissa Jefferson & Jesse Saint John, songwriters (Lizzo)

Yet another breakout star of 2019. What might really drive voters into picking this song is its journey. It is not secret that this song was released long before the current season began; however, it’s spread into public consciousness, and the mark’s it’s left behind while at it, is unmistakable. Let’s not also rule out that fact that it is a good song.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 351 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.