Home Forums Music WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020

WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 346 through 351 (of 351 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
BYEDON2020
ayanami
WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020
ALWAYS REMEMBER US THIS WAY (Lady GaGa)
BAD GUY (Billie Eilish)
BRING MY FLOWERS NOW (Tanya Tucker)
HARD PLACE (H.E.R.)
LOVER (Taylor Swift)
NORMAN F***ING ROCKWELL (Lana Del Rey)
SOMEONE YOU LOVED (Lewis Capaldi)
TRUTH HURTS (Lizzo)
  • Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

In my opinion, this is one of the best Song of the Year lineups they’ve had in recent years. I find none of the songs appalling unlike the years we had stuff like “The Middle,” “That’s What I Like” and “I Took a Pill in Ibiza.” So, I can’t say I’d be mad if they picked anyone; however, I do have my favorites: “Lover” and “Norman fucking Rockwell.” Here are reasons why I feel voters would pick certain songs over the other: “Always Remember Us This Way” Natalie Hemby, Lady Gaga, Hillary Lindsey & Lori McKenna, songwriters (Lady Gaga) As was clearly the case in 2019 with “Joanne (Where Do You Think You’re Goin’)” winning Pop Solo Performance after being robbed of the trophy the year before (though Kesha was another hot competitor), voters might want to remedy Lady Gaga’s SOTY loss from 2019 as well. She undoubtedly had one of the best entries in the lineup in 2019, but sadly lost to “This Is America.” “bad guy” Billie Eilish O’Connell & Finneas O’Connell, songwriters (Billie Eilish) I don’t really need to spell this one out. She’s the it girl of 2019. Legit Billboard’s woman of the year. And of course, there’s no denying “bad guy” is a fun and catchy pop tune, rhythmic and concise, and has other elements of a good song. Voters would want to be pick her with the idea that she might have clean sweep. They might also pick her because they just like the song. “Bring My Flowers Now” Brandi Carlile, Phil Hanseroth, Tim Hanseroth & Tanya Tucker, songwriters (Tanya Tucker) As is the case with Gaga, voters might want to give Carlile a win to remedy the damage of last year. Also, it might be a way of paying due homage to Tanya Tucker, who, as of the time of this post, has not won a single Grammy. “Hard Place” Ruby Amanfu, Sam Ashworth, D. Arcelious Harris, H.E.R. & Rodney Jerkins, songwriters (H.E.R.) H.E.R. was one of 2019’s breakthrough artists at the Grammys. In 2019, she picked two Grammys, which indicates that she has left a somewhat remarkable impression on the Recording Academy, especially its R&B voters. This year, it became clear that H.E.R. is here to stay with yet another five nominations pointing to that, also indicating her Recording Academy fan base still has her back. Her 2019 Grammys Performance must’ve also gone a good job at buying votes. It’s also very much a possibility that voters for this song will most likely pick it because they simply like it. “Lover” Taylor Swift, songwriter (Taylor Swift) Taylor is no stranger to love from the Recording Academy having won Album of the Year twice, and, as at the time of this post, holding the record for the youngest Album of the Year winner. Past glory aside, “Lover” has been praised by critics as one of Swift’s best writing till date, with which I agree. It’s stripped, airy, coordinated and reminiscent of past Song of the Year winner “Thinking Out Loud.” Voters might liken it to that song and might give it a vote. Again, they might give it their vote simply because they like the song. “Norman fucking Rockwell” Jack Antonoff & Lana Del Rey, songwriters (Lana Del Rey) Lana Del Rey worked on this song with previous Song of the Year winner Jack Antonoff. The song in itself is one of the most critically acclaimed of the lineup, and there’s no denying its brilliant composition and lyrics. Voters, however, may be drawn to this for its message. Though not from Del Rey’s perspective, the song seemingly is in the subliminal light of the #MeToo movement with lyrics like “But I don’t get bored, I just see you through” and the entire chorus indicating a woman under some form of pressure by a man. It’s very subtle in its approach to that matter and may get the attention of voters. “Someone You Loved” Tom Barnes, Lewis Capaldi, Pete Kelleher, Benjamin Kohn & Sam Roman, songwriters (Lewis Capaldi) Yet another breakout star of 2019 with his standalone nomination being in this category.”Someone You Loved” is a good song and that may be about the only thing voters would consider here. “Truth Hurts” Steven Cheung, Eric Frederic, Melissa Jefferson & Jesse Saint John, songwriters (Lizzo) Yet another breakout star of 2019. What might really drive voters into picking this song is its journey. It is not secret that this song was released long before the current season began; however, it’s spread into public consciousness, and the mark’s it’s left behind while at it, is unmistakable. Let’s not also rule out that fact that it is a good song.

I agree with every single thing said here

FYC:

AOTY: folklore, Gaslighter, Kid Krow, Ungodly Hour, Punisher, SAWAYAMA, Future Nostalgia, Manic

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    betty
    Topics:

Lover is a beautiful song. People on here just hate it because it’s Taylor

FYC: Taylor Swift
    AOTY: folklore
    ROTY: exile feat. Bon Iver
    SOTY: cardigan
    Pop Solo: cardigan
    PD/G: exile feat. Bon Iver
    PVA: folklore
    Country Solo: betty
    Country Song: betty
    American Roots Performance: seven
    American Roots Song: seven
    Rock Performance: august
    Rock Song: august
    Traditional R&B: False God
    R&B Song: False God
    Song Visual Media: Only The Young
    Song Visual Media: Beautiful Ghosts
    Music Film: Miss Americana
    Music Video: The Man

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    betty
    Topics:

Nah it’s just very very lame.

honey it’s easily the best after Bring My flowers. The worst songs nominated are OTR, Bad Guy and Truth hurts

FYC: Taylor Swift
    AOTY: folklore
    ROTY: exile feat. Bon Iver
    SOTY: cardigan
    Pop Solo: cardigan
    PD/G: exile feat. Bon Iver
    PVA: folklore
    Country Solo: betty
    Country Song: betty
    American Roots Performance: seven
    American Roots Song: seven
    Rock Performance: august
    Rock Song: august
    Traditional R&B: False God
    R&B Song: False God
    Song Visual Media: Only The Young
    Song Visual Media: Beautiful Ghosts
    Music Film: Miss Americana
    Music Video: The Man

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

My ranking:

Bring My Flowers Now

Lover/ NFR/ Truth Hurts

ARUTW

Hard Place

Bad Guy

Someone You Loved

FYC:

AOTY: folklore, Gaslighter, Kid Krow, Ungodly Hour, Punisher, SAWAYAMA, Future Nostalgia, Manic

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 346 through 351 (of 351 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.