Home Forums Music WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020

WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 351 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
ELIAS
ayanami
WINNER PREDICTIONS – Song of the Year 2020
ALWAYS REMEMBER US THIS WAY (Lady GaGa)
BAD GUY (Billie Eilish)
BRING MY FLOWERS NOW (Tanya Tucker)
HARD PLACE (H.E.R.)
LOVER (Taylor Swift)
NORMAN F***ING ROCKWELL (Lana Del Rey)
SOMEONE YOU LOVED (Lewis Capaldi)
TRUTH HURTS (Lizzo)
  • Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s was always something lazy I thought about the writing of Someone You Loved, after watching the recent video from Todd In the Shadows, it’s now clicked.

A bare piano ballad only works when you emotive lyrics to highlight. Capaldi’s lyrics are not those, all of them are self-centred, whiny, egotistical and reak and him turning himself into a victim.

The listener doesn’t know anything about this relationship or why the person left Lewis yet she/he is somehow the most important person in the world to him, that she/he is the reason for all of this pain. Simply put, there’s no narrative that Capaldi creates for the listener.

(Off-topic but his voice here doesn’t do him any favours, notice how whenever he performs it live it’s always a much lower key)

Contrasted with Adele’s “Hello” for example, you know from that song that they have broken up for a while, he’s moved or attempted to but she’s still hung up on him and tries to call him to talk but can’t and she regrets it.

In short, SYL is just lazy writing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rinolo Twenty-two
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s always the same thing with her fans. Luckily, she wasn’t nominated for AOTY, otherwise they would say she was gonna win for the third time. Now, she only have left this category in the general field and of course they would believe Taylor doesn’t have competition.
    Remember when they claimed Blank Space was one of the greatest pop songs and she would win SOTY back then and ended up losing to Thinking Out Loud, ironically, Lover sounds like a rip-off of that song.

ReplyCopy URL
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, Lover is no where near Blank Space. But it’s a shame that Taylor Swift, one of the biggest songwriters of our decade has not won SOTY.

Anyways, the SOTY winner will be new, hopefully it’s Lizzo or Taylor or Gaga or Billie or Lana, Don’t care who, just want them to become general field winners.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    Final2
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s worth noting that Taylor Swift is the most nominated Female singer/songwriter in this category now. She’s also tied as the most nominated female songwriter in this category.

Her nominations
    You belong with me
    Shake it off
    Blank Space
    Lover (her only solo nomination)

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

“Blank Space” was so obviously not winning Song of the Year against “Thinking Out Loud.”

And likewise, “Lover” is not going to win Song of the Year against “Bad Guy” and “Someone You Loved.”

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I think “Someone You Loved” will win this.

Would love to be surprised and either ARUTW, Hard Place or BMFN wins.

ReplyCopy URL
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

I think “Someone You Loved” will win this. Would love to be surprised and either ARUTW, Hard Place or BMFN wins.

Someone You Loved is one of the basic and rudimental songs of the year. 1. The composition is extremely basic. 2. He screaming from the top of your lungs and it really gets extremely annoying after awhile. 3. It’s soppy for the sake of being a soppy pop songs. There is nothing that interesting or innovate that Lewis brings to the table.

Again this is Lewis only nomination. He could snag a Pop Solo Performance for this song or even Best New Artist for himself. M, stop this delusion. It’s between Billie and Lizzo, with an upset from Taylor.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

“Someone You Loved” is definitely not ahead of “Truth Hurts.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

When was the last time someone won in the general field with their sole nomination?

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

When was the last time someone won in the general field with their sole nomination?

I’m looking at the Song of the Year winners and I have gone as far back as the ’70s so far. It hasn’t happened. Lewis is top 5 at best.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo is winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    thefunkydeltron
    Participant
    Topics:

There is no real frontrunner in this category. I give three people big chances; Billie, Lizzo and Taylor. Capaldi won’t winning this since this is his only nomination, HER may be an upset, Lana probably not winning this because no genre nominations just like Capaldi, Gaga won’t winning this because the song is not big enough, even Shallow didn’t win last year when it’s a frontrunner.

There’s was always something lazy I thought about the writing of Someone You Loved, after watching the recent video from Todd In the Shadows, it’s now clicked. A bare piano ballad only works when you emotive lyrics to highlight. Capaldi’s lyrics are not those, all of them are self-centred, whiny, egotistical and reak and him turning himself into a victim. The listener doesn’t know anything about this relationship or why the person left Lewis yet she/he is somehow the most important person in the world to him, that she/he is the reason for all of this pain. Simply put, there’s no narrative that Capaldi creates for the listener. (Off-topic but his voice here doesn’t do him any favours, notice how whenever he performs it live it’s always a much lower key) Contrasted with Adele’s “Hello” for example, you know from that song that they have broken up for a while, he’s moved or attempted to but she’s still hung up on him and tries to call him to talk but can’t and she regrets it. In short, SYL is just lazy writing.

Unlike Fantano’s or Ajay’s, Todd is a great reviewer and he listens all kinda music. I really respect that dude for his works and music knowledge.

ReplyCopy URL
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

I only looked at this decade, but at least most of the nominees have at least been nominated more than 2 twice. Almost all the artists have won at least 2 Grammy Awards that night:

• Lady Antebellum 2010: 3
    • Adele 2011: 5
    • Fun. 2012: 2
    • Lorde 2013: 2
    • Sam Smith 2014: 2
    • Ed Sheeran 2015: 2
    • Adele 2016: 5
    • Bruno Mars 2017: 6
    • Childish Gambino 2018: 4

As you can see with this trend, it is not happening. You at least need to have won at least one award with these stats. This rules out Lewis Capaldi since he only has 1 nomination. Taylor Swift is also in deep water since she probably won’t win in her nominations within the pop categories. Lana is also up for grabs and probably will be hardest to snag this award, but if she pulls an upset for this award, she’s getting AOTY, but that would likely not happen. Also, H.E.R. and Tanya Tucker will be nonfactors since all those people who won in the previous years have always been a top 5 hit. So therefore, this award is between Lizzo and Billie. Final thoughts.

Edit: forgot about Gaga. That alone lowers her chances. And since Shallow lost to This is America, I really don’t see this narrative even happening.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  ELIAS.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  ELIAS.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m looking at the Song of the Year winners and I have gone as far back as the ’70s so far. It hasn’t happened. Lewis is top 5 at best.

I just looked at AOTY/ROTY and couldn’t find any as far back as the 80s. But this is a fairly unique situation in that the he and the song peaked too late to get into his genre.

ReplyCopy URL
    ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

I just looked at AOTY/ROTY and couldn’t find any as far back as the 80s. But this is a fairly unique situation in that the he and the song peaked too late to get into his genre.

He is in a unique situation, no doubt, but yet again he only has 1 nomination. That is not going to help him since he going against other number one hits within Lizzo and Billie that have more weeks number one as well as more nominations and better album sales. The whole discussion this year is are you more a Billie person or a Lizzo person. The world will find out come January. Personally I do like the Songwriting on Truth Hurts a bit more, so I am rooting for it in Song, but Billie has the best production on the nominees, so therefore, I have it neck in neck with Old Town Road in ROTY.

Barnacles Bro

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 351 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.