Home Forums Music Worst SOTY snubs of the 2010s?

Worst SOTY snubs of the 2010s?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Aaliyah
JennyLewisFan
MarinaBelo2
  • Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

As this decade came to an end, what do you think are the worst snubs in this category?

For me the biggest snub is “Same Love” losing Song of the Year to “Royals”. I love Lorde but that song has nothing special lyrically. “Same Love” which came at a time when the country was at its peak in its fight for LGBT equality was a lot more important both lyrically and culturally.

I’m not a big fan of Macklemore, but that song definitely deserved it.

Others that come to mind:

“A-Team” should’ve won over “We Are Young”.

“I Took A Pill In Ibiza” should’ve won over “Hello” (but we know that wasn’t going to happen)

“Take Me To Church” should’ve won over “Stay With Me” (which should’ve won RoTY only)

“Alright” should’ve won over “Thinking Out Loud”

• This topic was modified 9 months ago by M.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Aaliyah
    Topics:

Get real!  “Same Love” should NOT have won SOTY over “Royals.”

Keep dreaming!  “I Took A Pill In Ibiza” should NOT have won SOTY over “Hello.”

Get real! “Take Me To Church” should NOT have won SOTY over “Stay With Me.”

Keep dreaming!  Neither “A-Team” or “We Are Young” deserved to win SOTY.

“This Is America” deserved its SOTY win. “Shallow” did NOT.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

My personal SOTY Winners:

2010: Need You Know

2011: Rolling in the Deep

2012: We Are Young

2013: Royals

2014: Chandelier

2015: Blank Space

2016: Hello

2017: 1-800-273-8255

2018: This is America

2019: Lover 

i agree with most of the SOTY winners!

10/10:

Fetch the Bolt Cutters, After Hours, RTJ4, and What's Your Pleasure?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

For me, “This Is America” was a fine choice for Record of the Year, but for Song of the Year, that was a bit of a stretch. There’ve been way better Rap songs to choose from for this category—”All of the Lights” for example was a good nominee—and the first to win was “This Is America”? To me, it’s lyrically empty and tasks your mind to getting the subtle references, which isn’t really a good quality for a song, in my opinion. Songs should be explicit enough. It’s music was alright though; great kicks, great guitar melody. I do support its other wins, most especially Best Music Video, but Song of the Year was just not fitting for this song. It certainly wasn’t a bad nomination, but for me, this song isn’t an ideal SOTY winner.

Song of the Year of 2019 should’ve gone to either “Shallow” or “The Joke” in my opinion. This isn’t necessarily because they’re both ballads, but this is because they meet the essential requirements of a good song. Unique music and lyrics, not to mention meaningful ones at that. Let’s not forget SOTY is a songwriters award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    NASA
    Topics:

— 1-800-273-8255 not winning

— this is america winning over The Joke

— thank u, next not getting nominated

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aaliyah
    Topics:

Get real!  “Thank U, Next” not getting nominated was NOT a snub.  You’re delusional!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sheeow
    Topics:

Get real! Royals IS a well written song and The A Team is a mess!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

The A Team should’ve won, but it wasn’t a huge hit. The nomination was an overperformance considering that.

I don’t think “Stay With Me” deserved any Grammys. It’s too basic, lyrically and sonically. Considering the nominated works, Take Me To Church should’ve won SOTY and Chandelier ROTY, or the latter could’ve won both.

I Took A Pill In Ibiza sucks. Hello deserved both awards since the competition was weak. Formation is overrated and wasn’t a real hit, Work is a terrible song, Stressed Out is just okay and I kind of like 7 Years, but it’s mediocre.

I never understood “Royals” success, it’s one of Lorde’s worst songs by far, but the lyrics are very good and somewhat original. Same Love is just another obvious politically charged awards-bait song.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

For me, “This Is America” was a fine choice for Record of the Year, but for Song of the Year, that was a bit of a stretch. There’ve been way better Rap songs to choose from for this category—”All of the Lights” for example was a good nominee—and the first to win was “This Is America”? To me, it’s lyrically empty and tasks your mind to getting the subtle references, which isn’t really a good quality for a song, in my opinion. Songs should be explicit enough. It’s music was alright though; great kicks, great guitar melody. I do support its other wins, most especially Best Music Video, but Song of the Year was just not fitting for this song. It certainly wasn’t a bad nomination, but for me, this song isn’t an ideal SOTY winner. Song of the Year of 2019 should’ve gone to either “Shallow” or “The Joke” in my opinion. This isn’t necessarily because they’re both ballads, but this is because they meet the essential requirements of a good song. Unique music and lyrics, not to mention meaningful ones at that. Let’s not forget SOTY is a songwriters award.

There’s nothing meaningful about Shallow, it’s just a romantic ballad like thousands and thousands of others. It would be a safe, boring and predictable choice. But I agree that This Is America doesn’t really deserve a songwriting award, it’s just not that type of song.

But if we’re talking undeserving SOTY winners, Stay With Me and That’s What I Like are much, much worse.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kenboi99
    Topics:

There nothing special about “in the Sha ha Sha halow Sha lalal lalow”

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by kenboi99.
    • This reply was modified 9 months ago by kenboi99.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: center;”>There nothing special about “in the Sha ha Sha halow Sha lalal lalow”</p>

bUt iT wOn An oScAr

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aaliyah
    Topics:

Get real!  SOTY should NOT have gone to “Shallow.”  The lyrics to that song are rather pedestrian.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

There’s nothing meaningful about Shallow, it’s just a romantic ballad like thousands and thousands of others. It would be a safe, boring and predictable choice. But I agree that This Is America doesn’t really deserve a songwriting award, it’s just not that type of song. But if we’re talking undeserving SOTY winners, Stay With Me and That’s What I Like are much, much worse.

Exactly. “Stay with Me” is a boring pop song. Elementary lyrics and music. I also kind of agree with your point about “Shallow,” but of the eight nominees that year, it and “The Joke,” were the ones that stood out to me.

Am I the only the one that considers “HUMBLE.” a bit of an SOTY snub? It’s a definitive rap song with good lyrics and music.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Greg
    Topics:

There nothing special about “in the Sha ha Sha halow Sha lalal lalow”

I rather see Shallow winning Song of the Year than « ThIs iS aMeRicA ThIs iS aMeRicA ThIs iS aMeRicA ThIs iS aMeRicA ThIs iS aMeRicA ThIs iS aMeRicA ThIs iS aMeRicA ThIs iS aMeRicA ThIs iS aMeRicA ThIs iS aMeRicA ThIs iS aMeRicA »

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.