Home Forums Polls! 1939 – 75 Years Later…

1939 – 75 Years Later…

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
4 years ago
replies
views
users
ETPhoneHome
Entertain-me
  • Entertain-me
    Participant
    Topics:

What is your favorite of this list? What others should I have included? How great was this year?

My ranking:

1. Gone with the Wind
    2. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    4. Stagecoach
    5. The Wizard of Oz
    6. Wuthering Heights
    7. Drums Along the Mohawk
    8. Ninotchka
    9. The Hound of the Baskervilles
    10. Of Mice and Men

ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is brilliant, it easily gets my vote. I know that GWTW will probably win, but I would rewatch Mr. Smith anytime, but I felt like I had seen enough of GWTW the first time. It’s way too long IMO, even though it fills the time with content. I just think it shouldn’t be compared to the others, because it’s basically a Miniseries.

ReplyCopy URL
    Entertain-me
    Participant
    Topics:

ET…most definitely. I was THIS close to choosing it, but opted out for Gone with the Wind instead. The shear scale of that film is overwhelmingly powerful and the cast is just stellar! It was fun to watch for all the bit parts and get absorbed by the message and scale of the film.

However, Frank Capra was the king of Hollywood in the 1930s. His films were intimate and important, economically written and exquisitely acted. You felt for the characters, panged for the characters and believed in them too. Mr. Smith was, for me, his film and certainly Jimmy Stewart’s greatest role. I was also in awe of the work done by Edward Arnold, Jean Arthur, and Oscar nominees Harry Carey and especially Claude Rains. It was a sham that he lost to his co-star Thomas Mitchell (who won for Stagecoach, and who was also in Gone with the Wind) – who won for the type of character he had been nominated for 2 years earlier and for the exposure he got that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    ETPhoneHome
    Participant
    Topics:

^Even though I haven’t seen them all, I think Mr. Smith is the best on his resume. It isn’t the funniest, but it’s definitely the most memorable. That final scene always gives me chills. It’s so very well done.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.