Home Forums Polls! Best Actress 2011

Best Actress 2011

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
Created
5 years ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
black30
Laactingnyc
Beau S.
  • Beau S.
    Topics:

[quote=”SalantBeau”]Many people don’t agree but every nominated performance was stunning. Viola Davis plays a supporting role in The Help. Many Goldderby-ites have given conflicting definitions of a “supporting” performance but Davis’ fits every definition that I have ever seen given on this board. She gave an Oscar-worthy performance in The Help and deserved to steamroll the Supporting Actress category instead of Octavia Spencer. Michelle Williams’ nomination for this film is very unpopular but I thoroughly enjoyed the performance. It was very subtle and different from Williams’ usual fare, so many people regard it as an unworthy performance. However, her competition was far too strong. Here’s where it gets tough. Mara was breathtaking and perfectly acted the role, with great direction from the always great Fincher. However, the movie was unliked by the Academy and Mara was not popular enough to win at such a young age. Glenn Close gives such a brave, underratedly marvelous performance. She probably would have been a much stronger contender (the film as a whole would have been as well) had a stronger director taken the helm. Meryl was a tour de force in The Iron Lady regardless of the film’s overall weakness and is the rightful winner. However, the year’s true winner was snubbed: Tilda Swinton for such a perfectly drawn and executed performance in We Need to talk About Kevin.

Streep was Supp in One True Thing, Ironweed, Prada, and very much a leading lady in Karmer and Adaptation. I don’t wanna hear it.  [/quote]

I agree regarding all of your examples of Meryl being supporting and placed in lead. But like Davis, she lost. So I don’t see your point with this statement. Please note that I am not Streep-obsessed and you don’t have to address me as an intolerable fanboy. I’m on these boards to have coherent discussions.

ReplyCopy URL
    black30
    Topics:

My point is people said Davis shouldn’t win over category fraud. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Gucci
    Topics:

Viola Davis should have won.

ReplyCopy URL
    GhostOrchid
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, I’ve seen The Help and just couln’t bring myself that Viola Davis was a lead nor that she was the best supporting role. The minute Octavia Spencer was on screen, she stole the show imo.

Meryl made the movie hers. She was the lead, the film, everything.
    She somehow is Hollywood’s own Iron Lady, so yeah, it’s fitting. I mean they wanted the Meryl Streep show and they got it.

I actually would place Michelle Williams second, because she really surprised me in MWWM. If Meryl was not up that year for TIL, I bet Williams would have taken it in the end, including Meryl’s BAFTA and yes, still over Viola Davis. She has won the most critic awards in 2011/12 and Harvey at her back.

I love Glenn and thought Ronney Mara was really good in TGWTDT, but none of them had a real chance to win that year. 

About other potential nominees…. Tilda Swinton was in a movie that was very very hard to watch, Kirsten Dunst was somehow the victim of von Trier’s strange behaviour, Anna Paquin and Elisabeth Olsen just fell under the radar and Charlize Theron too, me thinks.
    Harvey had two biopic girls and Davis was the comming “underdog” of the season.

The top 3 was locked in December. Only the two last spots were questionable and although Albert Nobbs recieved similar mixed revies like TIL, it was Glenn’s passion project and the Academy wanted her to get at least another nod. Plus there always has to be a “newbie” in best actress and that spot went to Mara.

ReplyCopy URL
    JayDF
    Participant
    Topics:

Great lineup…Never a Close fan, the fact I placed her 4th instead of last is something to say.  Mara was great, but I just can’t help but compare it to the original film’s leading lady.  In the end I would not have chosen anyone but Streep.  Her dementia scenes were so close to perfection.

1. Streep
    2. Davis
    3. Williams
    4. Close
    5. Mara 

ReplyCopy URL
    KT
    Topics:

In my opinion, this was always between Meryl and Viola.  The others were significantly behind them and had no chance to win: I think Michelle Williams came up short in her portrayal of Marilyn Monroe; there is a quality that Marilyn had that is missing in her performance, and it’s quite noticeable to pick up on.  Glenn’s movie wasn’t widely seen and it wasn’t a showy role, overall quite boring.  And Rooney’s work will always be overshadowed by Noomi Rapace’s superior characterization in the Swedish version.

I know that it’s arguable whether Viola was lead or supporting, but there’s no doubt in my mind that she gave the most powerful performance nominated here.  Viola has a gift that she is an incredibly convincing actor; she brings a gravity to many of her projects, and carries a natural wear and lived-in pain of many years in her voice and presence.  Yes, I know The Help itself is engineered to appeal to a mass audience and because of this feels rather trite, but I appreciate what Viola brought to the film.  Meryl’s performance for me was severely lessened by the quality of the film.  Instead of actually probing Margaret Thatcher’s life, it only barely scrapes at who she was, just nipping at the surface.  That for me made Meryl come across as much more hammy, even a caricature, than she should have been.  My favorite performances from her have always been the ones without the facades: no makeup, no flash, no accents.  Though I wanted to see her win her third Oscar (and this year was by far her best chance: she was completely out of the running in the years people usually cite—Cry in the Dark, Madison County, Adaptation, Julie & Julia), I wish the vehicle was better, and I was a little disappointed she never acknowledged Thatcher in her acceptance speeches, which was a shame.  So overall, I would’ve gone with Viola.

ReplyCopy URL
    Baby Clyde
    Participant
    Topics:

Meryl in a landslide. One of her greatest ever performances (Only ‘Sophie’s Choice’ and ‘A Cry In The Dark’ compare).

All of the others have major problems.

Michelle is fine but has absolutely none of Marilyn’s star power (Who does?).

Glenn is great but it’s hard to get past the makeup job and the whole thing is very pne note.

Rooney’s performance is fanatastic but a carbon coby of Noomi Rapace’s original un-nominated work.

Viola has little to do and gives her patented ‘dignified’ performance that we’ve all seen before. Clearly supporting. Clearly ridiculous that she was even in the race.

1 – Meryl
    2 – Michelle
    3 – Rooney
    4 – Glenn
    5 – Viola

ReplyCopy URL
    black30
    Topics:

Clearly ridiculous that Cher has an Oscar.

I agree.

ReplyCopy URL
    ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

IMO Michelle should have not been nominated. Meryl won by ten miles. No other actress should have won anything.

ReplyCopy URL
    Malick
    Topics:

Meryl Streep
    Glenn Close
    Viola Davis
    Michelle Williams
    Rooney Mara

Tilda Swinton should have been nominated over Mara.      

Agreed.
    ———–

Personal List
    1) Tilda Swinton
    2) Meryl Streep
    3) Michelle Williams
    4) Olivia Colman
    5) Toss up between Charlize Theron & Elizabeth Olsen. Gun to my head and i’d go with, Elizabeth Olsen.

But of the nominated Meryl!!! Viola should have stayed in supporting and then she would have won probably every award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmys2011
    Participant
    Topics:

Best actress 2011:

TIE FOR #1

1: Kirsten Dunst
    1: Tilda Swinton
    3: Rooney Mara
    4: Yoon Jeong-hee5: Elizabeth Olsen

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

My line-up would be:

Theron / Young Adult
    Paquin / Margaret
    Williams / My Week with Marilyn
    Streep / Iron Lady *Winner* 
    Swinton / We Need to Talk About Kevin *Runner-up*  

ReplyCopy URL
    Charlize Theron Fan
    Topics:

Charlize Theron for Young Adult. Best performance of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    j-lawfan
    Topics:

Best actress 2011:

TIE FOR #1

1: Kirsten Dunst
    1: Tilda Swinton
    3: Rooney Mara
    4: Yoon Jeong-hee5: Elizabeth Olsen

I agree with you but number 4 should be michelle williams and yoon jeong hee shouldn’t be there

ReplyCopy URL
    Laactingnyc
    Participant
    Topics:

My line up would have been

1. Meryl Streep – The Iron Lady
    2. Glenn Close – Albert Nobbs
    3. Tilda Swinton – We need to talk about Kevin
    4. Kirsten Dunst – Melancholia
    5. Mia Wasikowska – Jane Eyre

6. Rooney Mara – The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    7. Michelle Williams – My week with Marilyn
    8. Elizabeth Olsen – Martha Marcy May Marlene
    9. Charlize Theron – Young Adult
    10. Adupero Oduye – Pariah 

Viola should have been in the supporting category….. speaking of the supporting category i might as well give you my rankings for this category

1. Janet McTeer – Albert Nobbs
    2. Jessica Chastain – The Tree of Life
    3. Viola Davis – The Help
    4. Sareh Bayat – A Separation
    5. Charlotte Gainsbourgh – Melancholia

6. Octavia Spencer – The Help
    7. Carey Mulligan – Shame
    8. Anjelica Huston – 50/50 

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.