September 10, 2014 at 6:35 am #549619
I think by now people know my feelings to American Hustle most notably Adams’ performance. Dreyfus and Streep win this for me. Gerwig I don’t know really why she was nominated. Before Midnight was such a drama I have no idea why it is here but Julie Delpy is great in it. I’ll give it to Meryl because I thought she was amazing and hilarious in August: Osage CountySeptember 10, 2014 at 6:45 am #549621
In love with this line-up:
– Streep: brilliant. Just brilliant
– Dreyfuss: Why in the hell is this her first film in god knows how long. Such a pleasure to watch her for more than half an hour.
– Gerwig: I guess it depends on wether you like the film, its tone and the character, along with all its hipstery shades. I did, so I liked her.
– Adams: I would not have given her the globe, but I sure loved to see her finally win a big awards, and for her first leading nomination! She was really great here.
– Delpy: I might be biased because of how much I love the film….no…I´m not, she was just as brilliant as the writing and her co-star. It amazes me how nuanced and complex her character is, and the rawness of her performance, as well as the growth compared to the previous films. Why she was snubbed for the oscars I´ll never understand nor forgive.September 10, 2014 at 11:42 am #549622
I couldn’t cope with Streep in this. I thought it was like bad 80s daytime soap opera acting, but so bad it’s not even funny. And that’s coming from someone who loves her in just about every one of her other films, even ones people trash like Doubt.
Amy Adams won this hands down. Very powerful but subtle, and incredibly heartbreaking.September 10, 2014 at 8:18 pm #549623
1. Julia Louis-Dreyfuss
2. Julie Delpy
3. Greta Gerwig
4. Amy Adams
5. Meryl StreepSeptember 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm #549624
1. Amy Adams – Best performance in her movie and in the category, but only just slightly ahead of…
2. Julie Delpy – While the characters have some witty exchanges this is not a comedy, but I don’t care. Delpy’s amazing, and while she’s not quite as impressive here as in Before Sunset (the best performance from either star in any of the movies, and one of my favorites of all time, can’t believe it was snubbed) she’s still incredible. And honestly if it hadn’t been for already seeing Sunset and comparing the two I’d probably have her ranked first.
3. Meryl Streep – maybe she was over the top, but I enjoyed it.
4. Julia Louis-Dreyfuss – I wasn’t quite as over the moon about this one as a lot of people, but she’ll still very strong in a perfectly likable movie. And it was nice to see people like her and Delpy in over the more typical but less deserving choices like The Heat ladies or some old british lady in a movie no ones seen (cough cough im looking at you maggie)
AND haven’t seen gerwig. But overall a great year for this category. Overall the comedy categories this year were much more impressive than usual.September 13, 2014 at 4:18 am #549625This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.September 13, 2014 at 10:21 pm #549626
It’s only because Before Midnight is hardly a comedy in any way. It had a few chuckles but no Julia Louis Dreyfus punchlinesSeptember 14, 2014 at 12:36 am #549627
none of these are comedic performances.September 14, 2014 at 6:53 am #549628
So I have to say that as much as I liked the perfromances, I still feel like Julia Roberts could have won here if she went lead. Anyways, my choice is Adams.September 14, 2014 at 10:47 am #549629
none of these are comedic performances.
I’m guessing you have never seen Enough SaidSeptember 19, 2014 at 3:06 am #549630This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.