Home Forums Television 2011 Kennedy Center Honors (Streep, Diamond, Cook, Rollins, Yo-Yo Ma)

2011 Kennedy Center Honors (Streep, Diamond, Cook, Rollins, Yo-Yo Ma)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
7 years ago
Last Reply
7 years ago
replies
views
users
Chris Beachum
M H
DS0816
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The 2011 Kennedy Center Honors will air in late December on CBS. The honorees this year are Barbara Cook, Neil Diamond, Yo-Yo Ma, Sonny Rollins, and Meryl Streep.

Here is a picture from the dinner held in their honor tonight. The actual ceremony will be held tomorrow night.

Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Highlights from the ceremony tonight that will air on CBS December 27…

MERYL STREEP —
    Tracey Ullman (intro)
    Robert De Niro
    Mike Nichols
    Emily Blunt, Anne Hathaway, Kevin Kline & Stanley Tucci (musical tribute)

SONNY ROLLINS —
    Bill Cosby (intro)
    Benny Golson & Herbie Hancock (“In My Solitude” & “Sonnymoon for Two”)
    Sonny Rollins Trio (Billy Drummond, Joe Lovano & Christian McBride)

BARBARA COOK —
    Sarah Jessica Parker & Matthew Broderick (intro)
    Glenn Close (“Losing My Mind”)
    Patti LuPone (“Loving You” & “Come Rain or Come Shine”)
    Sutton Foster
    Audra McDonald

NEIL DIAMOND —
    John Lithgow (intro)
    Smokey Robinson (“Sweet Caroline” with Boston Red Sox fans)
    Lionel Richie (“I Am … I Said”)
    Jennifer Nettles (“Hello Again”)
    Raphael Saadiq (“Girl, You’ll Be a Woman Soon”)

YO-YO MA —
    Stephen Colbert (intro)
    Elmo from “Sesame Street”
    Classical Quintet, Bluegrass Trio & Silk Road Ensemble
    James Taylor & Children’s Choir (“Here Comes the Sun”)

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:
    ReplyCopy URL
    M H
    Participant
    Topics:

BARBARA COOK —
    Sarah Jessica Parker & Matthew Broderick (intro)
    Glenn Close (“Losing My Mind”)
    Patti LuPone (“Loving You” & “Come Rain or Come Shine”)
    Sutton Foster
    Audra McDonald

Reading that made me wet myself a little bit. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The show airs tonight on CBS.

ReplyCopy URL
    DS0816
    Participant
    Topics:

The Meryl Streep portion was lackluster. Predictable mentions of her two Oscars, her 16 nominations, but little in the way of clips of how dominant she has been. What other actresses have carried leading film roles for three consecutive decades in recent years? Meryl. Followed by some who did receive slight measure of that success, like Diane Keaton (her four Oscar nominations, all in best actress, came in four separate and consecutive decades). Streep having been first in the order, on The Kennedy Center Honors, signaled to me not to expect much.

ReplyCopy URL
    Irishmovielover4ever
    Participant
    Topics:

Well so far here are my thoughts:

The Meryl Streep section was average and could have been better, DeNiro was funny with his line, the montage showed nothing we did not know. Anne hathaway is proving even more and more she can do musicals and i was suprised like meryl she can do the splits.

The Sonny Rollins section was moving by showing his roots in the montage and giving some interesting facts. The music done was great to listen to and i really enjoyed it.

The Barbara Cook ssection has ben my favourite asi believe she is a great talent. The montage was great to listen to and told us alot about her for people who did not know her as much. The performances were stunning with people like Sutton Foster, Patti LuPone, Audra McDonald, Glenn Close and Kelli O’Hara just to name a few. Th performances were really emotional and i could understand everybody’s tears. All the women really were great.     

ReplyCopy URL
    jamesgray
    Participant
    Topics:

Anne Hathaway should drop acting immediately and sing all the time. Her voice was absolutely lovely and I found her to be much more charming as a singer.

And I agree, the Streep portion was like a watered down version of her AFI tribute. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Nate
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought that Anne Hathaway was great, but I was disappointed that the “musical tribute” consisted solely of “he’s Me Pal” and mostly of only Hathaway singing, not to mention the heavy reliance on TDWP alumni. Surely more people could have poured into the Kennedy Center to warble “Amazing Grace,” “I’m Checkin’ Out,” “Goodbye To My Mama,” any number of songs from Mamma Mia! or even “Me,” for goodness’ sake. I understand being short on time to honor so many people, but the AFI tribute was infinitely better (even Ullman’s bit there was superior to her intro here).

Other than that, it was a fun music-filled evening to watch!

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

The more I think about it, the more I believe Hathaway is going to be a smashing Fantine in the Les Miserables film.

The Barbara Cook section was the best for me. That was an unbelievable collection of divas–really a who’s who of current stage mega-talents, missing only Bernadette Peters (who, incidentally, is currently singing “Losing My Mind”–the song Close did–in the revival of Follies). I’m not sure why Kelli O’Hara hasn’t broken out in movies or TV more, because she’s a brilliantly talented singer and actress and gorgeous to boot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I really enjoyed the tributes to Neil Diamond and Yo-Yo Ma and thought the one for Barbara Cook was good. The Meryl Streep tribute was poorly produced and planned, even though they invited decent people to participate. Even the filmed tribute to her career was completely lacking in its scope and creativity. However, the whole special should once again be a threat to win the Emmy for Variety Special.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.