Home Forums Television 2016 Emmy Writing&Directing Predictions

2016 Emmy Writing&Directing Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 102 total)
Created
4 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
Riley Chow
mikeboy898
Rooney Moore
  • Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Even if “Inauguration” ends up being a standout for Veep, Mother is still getting nominated for Writing. Let’s make it clear: there is no way that episode isn’t getting a Writing nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Good tip.

What makes you think that the writer’s branch is going to slot The Good Wife back in after so many years sitting out for a finale that seemed, at least to my eye, almost universally panned.

http://www.goldderby.com/forum/television/best-drama-series-thread/page/12/#post-1201832833

Glad someone else isn’t sleeping on Ballers. I am not sure about directing but I have a feeling it is going to pop up in at least one big category and surprise people.

I actually just moved it down to eighth in my series predictions (for Broad City). It was not acclaimed by critics, but it was not lambasted either. It drew big ratings—the best for an HBO comedy in six years, which matters because of the weird way that Outstanding Comedy Series is balloted. In the acting categories, you vote for six and there are six nominees. In Outstanding Comedy Series, you vote for ten and there are seven nominees. Ballers is an agreeable show on Emmy’s favourite network and a lot of people watched it, so it could be a ballot filler.

No Kimmy and Better Call Saul?

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt got a lot of nominations, but it was snubbed in key races (writing, directing, editing, sound). In writing, they only submitted three episodes, one of them was the pilot, they were right next to Veep on the ballot and a tie resulted in an extra nominee, yet they still did not get in. And Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is from Tina Fey and the same team that ruled the Emmys with 30 Rock using the same brand of humour. This year, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt goes into the Emmys without an increase in acclaim and it will not have the new-show shine that often inflates nominations, nor is it positioned to expand in its second season as often happens after a first season wins series or almost does (Transparent, Homeland, Mad Men and so on).

Better Call Saul similarly did not grow in acclaim, it fell in the ratings and it was such a minor Emmy player that Jonathan Banks lost to Peter Dinklage. It also will not get a new-show bump and you have to figure that some of its support was just goodwill from Breaking Bad, which is not going to last forever and is already burning out. Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul also submit way too many episodes for writing and directing, which hurt Breaking Bad for a long time.

Silicon Valley has done exceedingly well in these categories since its debut but has yet to get more than one episode in – why this year?

There are officially extra slots this year and this year happens to be hella weak. In writing, perennial nominees Louie and Episodes are out, so two slots are definitely open. Beyond that, I doubt that The Last Man on Earth comes back. What new shows could come in? Master of None might, but we need to be wary of that one because it was not nominated by a single guild, not even by the WGA for New Series. Maybe Lady Dynamite gets in, but that show is very noncommercial, is peaking too late and not even that many critics are watching it. Maybe Catastrophe gets in because it is acclaimed and British, but we are reaching here. It seems more likely that the Emmys would just double-nominate one of their three favourite comedies, especially since something is double- or triple-nominated in this category more often than not and that will only be accentuated by the extra slot. So will it be Veep, Transparent or Silicon Valley? Veep and Transparent might submit only one episode like they did last year, so that would disqualify them. Back when Veep used to submit a bunch, it was snubbed even as it won Best Comedy Series at WGA. There was just too much vote-splitting. Silicon Valley on the other hand consistently submits two episodes for writing. Transparent has underwhelmed me in its support from the writing branch and I am willing to bet that they prefer Silicon Valley. Transparent lost New Series at WGA to True Detective. This year, Silicon Valley won the episodic category at WGA; Transparent was not even nominated.

I am hoping that Fargo can make a bigger impact but I think with such a crowded Limited Series category this year, your prediction of only one each may be correct :/

What might happen is that the limited/movie writing and directing categories become like the comedy and drama categories where they just nominate their favourites over and over. I could see three episodes of Fargo nominated opposite three episodes of American Crime Story.

“Home” seems unlikely.

Jeremy Podeswa got nominated for “Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken” last year while they snubbed “Hardhome”, so it would seem that his episode submission is irrelevant. I went with “Home” over the premiere because “Home” got better reviews. But maybe he submits the wrong one again.

Ballers makes sense in the way that HBO swims in money and it was successful by cable comedy standards.

As for why I have Ballers in directing, the category is weak. There is an extra slot and some stuff is ineligible or unlikely to return. Pilots do well here, but we are lacking in contenders. Master of None is going to have ballot issues and the show might not even be a factor. The directing categories have increasingly become a name game, like with the “Hardhome”/”Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken” debacle. Ballers pilot director Peter Berg is a past Emmy nominee for directing and has since raised his profile by directing an Oscar-nominated movie. The Ballers pilot is also clearly labelled “Pilot” and I think that Ballers is on the cusp of a series nomination. And the directors nominated Entourage a bunch and have nominated HBO pilots like Treme previously even when they did not care about the show itself.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

And then nobody ever quoted one of my posts again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m really curious if Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt can get into writing and directing…I know it depends on what they submit, but the pedigree of directors is certainly there:

Episode 12: “Kimmy Sees a Sunset!” – director Beth McCarthy-Miller (8-time Emmy nominee and winner of 3 Directors’ Guild Awards)
    Episode 13: “Kimmy Finds Her Mom” – director Michael Engler (previously nominated for the 30 Rock episode “Rosemary’s Baby”

And Tina Fey and Robert Carlock (previous nominees) wrote 5 of the season’s 13 episodes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Master of None is submitting only Aziz Ansari for directing, so they are foregoing their pilot by James Ponsoldt and all of the good episodes that cast member Eric Wareheim did (“Indians on TV”, “The Other Man”, “Mornings”, “Finale”). “Nashville” is Ansari’s better episode, but he probably entered “Parents”. I wonder if this means that he takes a more active role directing next season. For writing, they are submitting Ansari and Alan Yang, which either means one or two episodes on the ballot. I like it!

ReplyCopy URL
    dj
    Participant
    Topics:

Better Call Saul is getting a writing and/or directing nomination. I’m not sure why there is the opinion that it didn’t grow in acclaim. Seems like nearly every big critic out there (Sepinwall, TVW, Fienberg, Seitz, etc.) loved this season and thought it was an improvement on S1.

ReplyCopy URL
    mikeboy898
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s a shame Master of None didn’t submit “Mornings” for Directing – it was a fantastically directed episode – one of my favorites of the year and the series’ best directed episode.

I am glad that they seem to have submitted “Mornings” for writing though. And every episode except for “The Other Man” and “Ladies and Gentlemen” were written by Aziz Ansari and Alan Yang – so that’s good!

ReplyCopy URL
    Bradley Ashworth
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Jack Bender will almost certainly be nominated for “The Door”. He’s clearly popular among Emmy Voters and the episode in question features an iconic scene and the episode is already considered to be among the show’s best.

ReplyCopy URL
    rafaeltxeira
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Directing in Drama
    Game of Thrones (Miguel Sapochnik) (for “Battle of Bastards”)
    Game of Thrones (Jack Bender) (for “The Door”)
    Homeland (Seith Mann) (for “Our Man in Damascus”)
    Mr. Robot (Niels Arden Oplev) (for “eps1.0_hellofriend.mov”)
    Better Call Saul (Peter Gould) (for “Nailed”)
    Vinyl (Martin Scorsese) (for “Pilot”)

Best Writing in Drama
    Game of Thrones (D.B. Weiss and Dan Benioff) (for “The Door”)
    Better Call Saul (Heather Marion, Vince Gilligan) (for “Klick”)
    Mr. Robot (Sam Esmail) (for “eps1.0_hellofriend.mov”)
    The Good Wife (Robert & Michelle King) (for “End”)
    Downton Abbey (Julian Fellowes) (for “Christmas Special” Finale)
    House of Cards (Beau Willimon) (for “Chapter 52”)

With 6 slots, the comedy fields get more dificult.

Best Directing in Comedy
    Transparent
    Veep
    Silicon Valley
    Modern Family
    Master of None
    Shameless (dark horse, but that would be great!)

Best Writing in Comedy
    Transparent
    Veep
    Silicon Valley
    Master of None
    Girls
    Mozart in the Jungle (?)

(thanks, thedemonhog)

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

@rafaeltxeira, writing and directing have six slots now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

FYC: Gail Mancuso, Black-ish (“Any Given Saturday”) – Directing for a Comedy Series

ReplyCopy URL
    leothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

FYC: Directing in a Drama Series:

*”Demons” – Sense8 (Directed by Lana & Lily Wachowski)

*”Art Is Like Religion” – Sense8 (Direced by James McTeigue)

*”Just Turn The Wheel And The Future Changes” – Sense8 (Directed by The Wachowskis)

*”Smart Money’s On The Skinny Bitch” – Sense8 (Directed By the Wachowskis)

*”What’s Going On” – Sense8 (Directed by Tom Tykwer)

*”Rise By Sin” – Empire (Directed by Paul McCrane)

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

Can a Director be nominated twice for the same show, logic say yes because the category is called Oustandig Directing in ….Series not best director… but what say the rules about it?..I ask because the final two episodes of Game of Thrones are supposed to big the most epic that the show has ever done and both are directed by Miguel Sapochnik.

The Oscar needs to get rid of the preferential ballot so it can name a deserving movie as Best Picture again.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.