Home Forums Television 2017/2018 Television Guild Awards

2017/2018 Television Guild Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 179 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Riley
Stretchy
Hunter-ish
  • Stretchy
    Participant
    Topics:

Publicists Guild Awards nominations

Maxwell Weinberg Publicist Showmanship Television Award

Better Call Saul, Gregg Brilliant, Unit Publicist
    • Feud: Bette and Joan, Erica Tarin, Fox 21 Television Studios
    • Star Trek: Discovery, Kristen Hall, CBS Television Studios
    • Stranger Things 2, Denise Godoy, Unit Publicist
    • The Orville, Erin Moody, Twentieth Century Fox Television

Excellence in Unit Still Photography for Television Award

Beth Dubber
    Jennifer Clasen
    Scott Green
    Trae Patton
    Michele K. Short

Whoop diddy scoop!

ReplyCopy URL
    Stretchy
    Participant
    Topics:

MPSE Golden Reel (sound Editing) noms

Whoop diddy scoop!

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Camera Operator of the Year – Television Nominees
    Bob Gorelick, SOC – Stranger Things
    Daryl Hartwell – Fargo
    Gary Jay, SOC – House of Cards
    Brian Osmond, SOC – Mindhunter
    Ben Semanoff, SOC – Ozark

Does Fargo win because Netflix splits the vote?

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

As far as the Golden Reels are concerned, I believe this is the first creative arts organization that gave The Good Place a technical nomination:

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing: Live Action Under 30:00 for the episode Janet and Michael

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

ACE winners:
    The Handmaid’s Tale: “Offred”
    Fargo: “Who Rules the Land of Denial?”
    Curb Your Enthusiasm: “The Shucker”
    black-ish: “Lemons”
    Genius: “Einstein: Chapter One”
    Five Came Back: “The Price of Victory”
    VICE News Tonight: “Charlottesville: Race & Terror”
    Vince Gilligan & Leon Ortiz-Gil

ADG winners:
    Game of Thrones (Deborah Riley)
    The Handmaid’s Tale (Julie Berghoff)
    GLOW (Todd Fjelsted)
    Will & Grace (Glenda Rovello)
    Black Mirror (Joel Collins)
    Portlandia (Schuyler Telleen)
    Star Wars Battlefront II (Jason Edmonds)

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

DGA predictions? I currently have Master of None with “Thanksgiving” over The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel for comedy directing, so I’d like to hear your thoughts on that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Master of None is done winning. It would have been a shoo-in for WGA. I am now going with Veep there, partly by default.

Atlanta was the first nominated new comedy to lose DGA to an ongoing comedy since Desperate Housewives. So you could say that The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is the safe choice, to follow in the footsteps of Transparent, Girls, Modern Family, Pushing Daisies, Ugly Betty and My Name is Earl. Transparent is the only one of those that did not submit its pilot; it is also from Amazon and competed at DGA before the Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Master of None is done winning. It would have been a shoo-in for WGA. I am now going with Veep there, partly by default.

Atlanta was the first nominated new comedy to lose DGA to an ongoing comedy since Desperate Housewives. So you could say that The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is the safe choice, to follow in the footsteps of Transparent, Girls, Modern Family, Pushing Daisies, Ugly Betty and My Name is Earl. Transparent is the only one of those that did not submit its pilot; it is also from Amazon and competed at DGA before the Emmys.

You got me thinking, but I think I’ll put Master of None just because I entered the prediction center late and my odds aren’t good. I did some research and DGA loves to award women in comedy. So, we have Sherman-Palladino, Matsoukas and McCarthy-Miller (who is a previous winner), which doesn’t make it easier. I don’t think vote-splitting is a thing here, so that’s a plus for Master of NoneMrs. Maisel has been dominating the guilds, so it could continue here, too. Veep won the previous two years and the director won in 2013 for 30 Rock.

What about drama? I have The Handmaid’s Tale, mostly because Game of Thrones could suffer because of the three nominations and I don’t think there was a standout, like last year with “Battle of the Bastards”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

DGA is driving me crazy in 2 categories. Comedy Series because even though I am predicting Mrs. Maisel because of how showy the Directing itself is, I can totally see Veep winning for its best episode of Season 6 “Chicklet,” especially since it was probably more widely viewed than Mrs. Maisel, due the the latter being on Amazon. The DGA has really come to love this show, with it winning its first award over Transparent which would later beat Veep for Directing at the Emmys (though for a different episode) and it winning just last year for an episode that wasn’t even submitted to the Emmys, avoiding vote-splitting and beating out the cool hip auteur-driven Altanta for its best-received episode “B.A.N.”

I still have Mrs. Maisel winning because… I don’t know. There is a nice tracking shot, it is the pilot of an acclaimed show, what else is there? I don’t think the director being the showrunner helps. The director being a woman could help it, but then again the Veep director is also a woman, and a previous winner at that. I think the biggest thing going for Mrs. Maisel at DGA is that the director Amy Sherman-Palladino directed 5 out of the 8 episodes of the season. Sometimes, it is what you don’t see listed among the nominees that makes the biggest difference in correctly predicting the winners. I correctly predicted The Night Of to win DGA last year over All The Way simply because the former was up for “The Beach,” the director of which also helmed every other episode of the miniseries except for the 2nd-to-last one. I think the sheer quantity of what Sherman-Palladino did gives her just the slight edge she will need to take down her DGA rivals for Comedy Series Directing.

The other is Documentaries, where I have The Vietnam War winning but I can totally see City of Ghosts winning because of how acclaimed it is. However, Matthew Heineman was snubbed by the Oscars, and he at least was nominated by them when he won his first DGA a couple years ago for Cartel Land. The DGA doesn’t award the same winner in that category, with Barbara Kopple being the sole exception when she won in the ’91 and ’93 for 2 out of the first 3 years of this categories existence. Are they really ready to give Heineman another win so soon after his last one? I’m predicting Vietnam because even though it wasn’t made an Oscar contender like O.J.: Made In America it still feels very much like the same kind of winner, being this massive and awe-inspiring undertaking of Documentary filmmaking that it blows all the other competition out of the water. It feels unbeatable on merit alone. Plus, after Ken Burns’ previous nomination and loss (along with Lynn Novick) at DGA for The War, I think this will be the year the directors guild finally acknowledges this legendary documentarian.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Eh, screw it. I’m sticking with The Vietnam War for DGA. I’m definitely not Super Bet levels of confident, though I feel safe enough in predicting it just because it got special recognition at the AFI Awards this year like O.J.: Made In America last year. It feels transcendent like that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I really like that AFI argument. Have the DGA had opportunities to repeat their winners or is this the same nonsense that people kept spouting in the hopes of denying Frances McDormand the SAG?

Reed Morano is winning because she and the tone of her show fit the bill of past winners like Lesli Linka Glatter for Homeland and Patty Jenkins for The Killing. The Game of Thrones vote-split and the Emmy under her belt strengthen her case.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

The problem with the WGA and DGA comedy series nominees is that, as much as it will tick off the Less Than Marvelous fans is the best of the lot is simply not there, and each winner will have an asterisk next to it, since neither competed against Michael’s Gambit from The Good Place. The episode that had TV’s best and most electrifying twist since the Newhart finale. It is SCANDALOUS that there are 2 Master of None episodes in the DGA list, especially with what Ansari has done.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

You have reported it successfully!

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I really like that AFI argument. Have the DGA had opportunities to repeat their winners or is this the same nonsense that people kept spouting in the hopes of denying Frances McDormand the SAG?

Reed Morano is winning because she and the tone of her show fit the bill of past winners like Lesli Linka Glatter for Homeland and Patty Jenkins for The Killing. The Game of Thrones vote-split and the Emmy under her belt strengthen her case.

To repeat their winners for Documentary? No, with the interesting exception of Steve James, who won for Hoop Dreams but never won again in spite of nominations for At The Death Door House and The Interrupters. He is also nominated this year for Abacus. With Heineman’s previous film Cartel Land as well as previous winners The Square, Sugar Man, O.J., and Citizenfour, all were at least Oscar nominated. City of Ghosts Oscar snub convinces me that it isn’t as safe a DGA bet as one might think. It wasn’t even predicted to win the Oscar during the pre-nominations phase, since Jane was the frontrunner. Ghosts actually lost PGA to Jane, thus proving the Syria journalists doc is not the film the industry feels most bad about getting snubbed by the Oscars. True, Vietnam isn’t an Oscar nominee this year, but I don’t think it was even eligible. I think they’re going for just the Emmys on that one and playing it conservative and traditional, unlike ESPN with O.J. last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

DGA has been very conservative so far: going with SNL, Veep, and Big Little Lies.

I do love that Anne with a E won though.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.