Home Forums Television 2017 Critics Choice Predictions

2017 Critics Choice Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Guest2014
Riley (the no..
Hunter-ish
  • Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

The Critics Choice TV Awards we’re officially canceled after last year, and this is further proof that they’re gonna stay irrelevant.

ANY group that doesn’t have JLD as at least one of the top 6 Comedy Lead Actress’ of all of television doesn’t know shit and should not be taken seriously. Does anyone even watch “Younger” from TV Land, including the “Critics” who nominated Sutton Foster or Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Rachel Bloom, and Pamela Adlon?

Never saw Younger, so will steer clear of Foster. That said, an outlier nom like Patriot. Bell DOES hold a victory over JLD (2016 People’s Choices, Favorite Premium Cable Actress). Time for somebody else to be feted instead of JLD, Bloom and especially Adlon.

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Never saw Younger, so will steer clear of Foster.

You have never seen Better Things but still insult Pamela Adlon daily

Bell DOES hold a victory over JLD (2016 People’s Choices, Favorite Premium Cable Actress).

I legit laugh out loud whenever he brings this up

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler [Last Name]
    Participant
    Topics:

As reliable as JLD is in Veep, I am happy that she got snubbed. Maybe someone else will have a chance? Like Ross or Kemper.

FYC: Ready Player One. Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Original Score, Production Design, Director and BEST PICTURE (make it happen Oscars!!)

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler [Last Name]
    Participant
    Topics:

The Critics Choice TV Awards we’re officially canceled after last year, and this is further proof that they’re gonna stay irrelevant.

ANY group that doesn’t have JLD as at least one of the top 6 Comedy Lead Actress’ of all of television doesn’t know shit and should not be taken seriously. Does anyone even watch “Younger” from TV Land, including the “Critics” who nominated Sutton Foster or Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Rachel Bloom, and Pamela Adlon?

I understand and while I think she is good in Veep, I think she has won enough times and I think someone else should get an award.

FYC: Ready Player One. Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Original Score, Production Design, Director and BEST PICTURE (make it happen Oscars!!)

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

As reliable as JLD is in Veep, I am happy that she got snubbed. Maybe someone else will have a chance? Like Ross or Kemper.

Best is best is best is best is best is best is BEST, “over-rewarded” or not. 😐

I see your point, it just feels inapplicable to this specific case when we are talking about one of the greatest performances in television history getting snubbed.

Even if you yourself don’t care for Veep, surely you can look outside yourself to see the cultural impact of Selina Meyer as a character, not at all meant to be heroic or “likable” yet still so endlessly fascinating to watch as to what blunders she or her minions will get into next! From ambitious and put-upon Vice President to hilariously incompetent and ultimately tragic screw-up of a President, to a citizen post-politics trying to figure out her life… to finally deciding she isn’t done with political power yet. She has played more range and found more nuance with her material than 99% of actors, male OR female ever could have done. As much as I normally support spreading the wealth among different awards shows, Julia Louis-Dreyfus’ snub is inexcusable and a permanent stain on these awards credibility for all time. She was easily win-worthy for her extraordinarily layered acting in the episodes “Chicklet” and “Groundbreaking” alone in my opinion. “Reliable” does not even begin to do justice to the achievement of her iconic and deservedly 6-time Emmy-winning Veep performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Nate
    Participant
    Topics:

OK. I finally had a chance to review!

In comedy, the Veep shutout is staggering. but happy to see GLOW and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel recognized so strongly! Keeping The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family feels stale, but this body has honored The Middle and so many other broadcast shows when no one else did, so this doesn’t seem all that surprising. The Walton Goggins nomination is my favorite surprise here.

In drama, this ran much more true to form for me. Although more Mr. Robot love would have been nice and The Americans shutout is sad, it’s hard for me to take issue with these nominations. I was surprised that this body has seen The Crown, at least in theory, and, here too streaming made a huge impact. The Billions nods are puzzling, but I suspect the Asia Kate Dillon nomination was at least partially to make a statement too.

And in longform, this seemed like an odd time to separate limited series and television movies, especially as Lifetime seemed to reap the benefit in the television movie categories. Will Flint and I Am Elizabeth Smart make it in at the Emmys too? I sure hope something else shows up over the course of the season. Alana Boden nominated over Sarandon and Huffman is truly shocking. And Genius missed out in program and for Rush, but gets in for Flynn? Godless was already on the radar, but it looks like American Vandal now should be too!

ReplyCopy URL

it’s hard for me to take issue with these nominations.

Posting without comment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Best is best is best is best is best is best is BEST, “over-rewarded” or not

As someone who watches a ton of TV I feel confidedent that I can find a TON of potential nominees more worthy of a win than Dreyfus, on merit alone. Much more than 6.

ReplyCopy URL
    ricardo505
    Participant
    Topics:

I miss the 6th critics choice television awards.

ReplyCopy URL

You mean when The Leftovers set the record for most simultaneous Critics’ Choice Television nominations?  Those were the days.

ReplyCopy URL
    JoeyJ
    Participant
    Topics:

Really confused by the critic’s choise voter’s. Their film awards seem to be nothing more but copy and paste Oscar predictor awards just nominating the top 7-8 likely Oscar noms in the category. Their drama awards seem to pretty closely match Emmy’s -Leftovers,but every year their comedy awards are like a nice alternative to the namecheck Emmy nominated Comedy performers and they try to show love to things that get snubbed elsewhere.

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

The critics choice took a step back from the Emmys by nominating The Big Bang Theory

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL

There are two issues.  First is that they are not actually critics.  They use the Critics’ Choice banner for consistency with the film side, but the television nominations are decided by the Broadcast Television Journalists Association.  These people report on television, but you will not find their critiques on Metacritic.  Well, before last year, you would have found some of them.  This brings us to the second point, which is that there was a mass exodus of the most prestigious members just before voting last year.  They felt that a new partnership with Entertainment Weekly went against the autonomous nature of the organization.  The BTJA members whose job it was to watch as much television as possible are gone and the membership now comprises only those who write about shows that get clicks and Emmy nominations.  Out with Catastrophe and Penny Dreadful; in with House of Cards and Modern Family.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m glad Johnny Flynn got recognized for Genius, although he’s a lead, not supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    unbb24
    Participant
    Topics:

You mean when The Leftovers set the record for most simultaneous Critics’ Choice Television nominations? Those were the days.

I thought that they would give last hurrah for the show but oh well.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.