Home Forums Television 2018/2019 Television Guild Awards

2018/2019 Television Guild Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Riley Chow
Guest 2018
Eden
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Oh my gosh I didn’t even notice until now that my beloved Steven Universe FINALLY got nominated for something by one of the guilds!

The Motion Picture Sound Editors nominated the masterfully written and crafted “Reunited” episode for Short Form Animation! I’m afraid it will lose but I’ve gotta have hope. Never cared as much about the MPSE winners until right now. Go Steven Universe!

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Riley had included a still from Game of Thrones before editing it out.

I edited it out at 5:05 p.m. and he did not post his reply until 7:36 p.m.  Maybe he opened up the page and did not look at it until hours later, at which time he responded?

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I got everything confused. I deleted my previous comment. I thought that you had originally put a Westworld photo in and then meant to replace it with a Game of Thrones photo, rather than the the other way around as it was. My apologies for the mix-up.

For the record, 100% agreed that Westworld’s VFX >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any VFX on any Michael Schur show ever. Anyone who says otherwise seriously needs to get their eyes checked.

ReplyCopy URL
    jjjmoss
    Participant
    Topics:

Americans – Drama Globe
    PGA
    Killing Eve – Actress Globe
    Actress Sag
    Ace
    Bodyguard – Actor Globe
    Ace
    Succession – DGA
    This is Us – Ensemble Sag
    Ozark – Actor Sag

Maisel – Actress Globe
    Actor Sag, Actress Sag, Ensemble Sag
    Ace
    PGA
    Barry – DGA
    Kominsky – Comedy Globe, Actor Globe
    Atlanta – Ace

Escape at Dannemora – Actress Globe
    Actress Sag
    DGA
    Ace
    American Crime Story – Longform Globe, Actor Globe
    Actor Sag
    PGA
    Very English Scandal – S Actor Globe
    Sharp Objects – S Actress Globe

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

MPSE Golden Reel Awards (Sunday, a 4 and a half-hour marathon): 8:30-1AM ET, Westin Bonaventure

Live Action Under 35:00
    Ballers: This is Not Our World
    Barry: Loud, Fast, and Keep Going
    Everything Sucks!: We Were Merely Freshmen
    The Good Place: Janet(s)
    Homecoming: Protocol
    Kidding: The Cookie
    One Day at a Time: Homecoming
    Star Trek-Short Treks: The Brightest Star
    Sweetbitter: Now Your Tongue is Coded
    Young Sheldon: An 8-Bit Princess and a Flat Tire Genius

Short Form Music/Musical
    The Alienist: A Fruitful Partnership
    AHS Apocalypse: The End
    The Americans: Harvest
    Fortitude: Season 3, Episode 4
    Homecoming: Stop
    Maniac: Windmills
    McMafia: Season 1, Episode 4
    One Strange Rock: Home
    Vikings: Moments of Vision

Short Form Dialogue/ADR
    The Americans: Harvest
    Atlanta: Teddy Perkins
    Better Call Saul: Talk
    The Handmaid’s Tale: Holly
    Jessica Jones: Three Lives and Counting
    Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan: The Wolf
    The X-Files: This

Short Form Effects/Foley
    Atlanta: Teddy Perkins
    The First: Near and Far
    Nightflyers: Torches and Pitchforks –
    The Terror: Go For Broke
    Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan: French Connection
    The Walking Dead: A New Beginning
    The X-Files: My Struggle

Single Presentation
    Agatha Christie’s Ordeal by Innocence
    Collateral
    Dirty Computer: Wondaland
    King Lear
    Phillip K. dink’s Electric Dreams

Longform Music/Musical
    ACS Versace: Manhunt
    Counterpart: Birds of a Feather
    The Handmaid’s Tale: The World
    The Little Drummer Girl: Part 3
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: We’re Going to the Catskills
    Marvel’s Luke Cage: I Get Physical
    Ozark: Gold Coast
    Westworld: Riddle of the Sphinx

Longform Dialogue/ADR
    Altered Carbon: Out of the Past
    Better Call Saul: Winner
    Bodyguard: Episode 2
    The Handmaid’s Tale: The Last Ceremony
    House of Cards: Chapter 73
    Marvel’s Daredevil: Blindsided
    Narcos Mexico: Just Say No
    Ozark: Gold Coast
    Westworld: Riddle of the Sphinx

Longform Effects/Foley
    Altered Carbon: Out of the Past
    Castle Rock: Severence
    The Haunting of Hill House: Two Storms
    Homeland: All In
    The Man in the High Castle: Jahr Null
    Patrick Melrose: Bad News
    Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan Pilot
    Westworld: Virtu e Fortuna

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Makeup/Hairstylists Guild: The awards Mrs. Maisel SHOULD win. And nothing else.

Contemporary Makeup: AHS Apocalypse
    Contemporary Hairstyling: Dancing With the Stars
    Period and/or Character Makeup and Hairstyling: Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Special Makeup Effects: Westworld

Movie made for TV/Special
    Contemporary Makeup: King Lear
    Contemporary Hairstyling: Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert
    Special Makeup Effects: Cocaine Godmother

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Golden Reel awards haven’t started yet.

Dinner and Awards 6:45pm

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Tonight proves that guild voters are denizens of the Bad Place. Both the MPSE Golden Reel (sound) awards and the Writers Guild of America snubbed The Good Place in their respective categories while slobbering over The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel in theirs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Costume Designers Guild Awards 2019

Excellence in Period Television
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Donna Zakowska

Excellence in Contemporary Television
    The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, Lou Eyrich & Allison Leach

Excellence in Sci-Fi / Fantasy Television
    Westworld, Sharen Davis

I made the mistake of doing last-minute changes and went with The Handmaid’s Tale, which won over Westworld last year, but not last night. By the way, The Handmaid’s Tale is doing pretty bad with the guilds this year, winning at only one guild.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I am surprised that Westworld even made a bit of a comeback in the later craft awards.

I still think that the show has a strong support and bug fandom among the industry. The guilds nominations have shown that. Will see what will happen.

And we have now seen what happened to The Handmaid’s Tale.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Won More Guild Awards Than Any Comedy Ever in a Single Year
    By Riley Chow, Gold Derby (March 6)

In the run up to the Oscars last month, sixteen industry guilds and societies presented annual awards for film, as well as television.  The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel won fourteen awards from eleven guilds and societies, making it the most successful run in a single year ever by a comedy series. It won:

– American Cinema Editors: Best Noncommercial Comedy Editing
    – Art Directors Guild: Best One-Hour Period/Fantasy Production Design
    – Casting Society of America: Best New Comedy Casting
    – Cinema Audio Society: Best One-Hour Sound Mixing
    – Costume Designers Guild: Best Period Costumes
    – Guild of Music Supervisors: Best Comedy/Musical Music Supervision
    – Makeup Artists & Hairstylists Guild (2): Best Series Period/Character Makeup, Best Series Period/Character Hairstyling
    – Motion Picture Sound Editors: Best One-Hour Music Editing
    – Producers Guild of America: Best Comedy Series
    – Screen Actors Guild (3): Best Comedy Ensemble, Best Comedy Actor, Best Comedy Actress
    – Writers Guild of America: Best Comedy Series Writing

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel lost all of its races at the American Society of Cinematographers and Directors Guild of America; it was not nominated by the ICG Publicists, Society of Camera Operators or Visual Effects Society.  The only prize that The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel won last year was the Producers Guild Award for Best Comedy Series.

The previous guild record for a comedy was Modern Family in 2011 with eight wins from seven guilds.  The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel previously broke the record for most Emmys ever won by a comedy series for a single season, with eight wins last September from fourteen nominations.  The Casting Society of America and Guild of Music Supervisors follow the Emmys’ lead by using the traditional television season for their eligibility periods, so The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel won awards from them for its first season after being ineligible last year; the rest of its recent guild wins were for its second season, which Amazon released in December 2018.

Game of Thrones was the most-awarded television program at the guilds last year, with fourteen wins from eight guilds. The most-awarded comedy at the guilds last year was Veep with four wins from three guilds.  Game of Thrones also holds the record for most guild wins ever by a television program in a single year, with sixteen wins from eleven guilds in 2016, although The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has now matched Game of Thrones in number of guilds that awarded it in a single year.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace was the most-awarded program at the guilds this year after The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, with five wins from five guilds.  Westworld was the most-awarded drama this year, with only four wins from four guilds, all for below-the-line achievements.  Atlanta was the most-awarded comedy at the guilds this year after The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, with three wins from three guilds, all for below-the-line achievements.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Decided to pull some interesting stats from this season’s guild awards. I apologize in advance for any errors.

Most nominated dramas

The Handmaid’s Tale – 22 nominations, 13 guilds, 1 win
    The program with most nominations this season (more than Maisel), but shockingly, with only one win.

Ozark – 14 nominations, 10 guilds, 2 wins
    Almost doubling last year’s nominations. Coming strong at the Emmys.

Westworld – 13 nominations, 9 guilds, 4 wins
    Quite impressive considering it’s for the second season.

Better Call Saul – 11 nominations, 7 guilds, 1 win
    Surprise! I’d never imagine Better Call Saul skipping a season and returning with more nominations.

The Americans – 8 nominations, 7 guilds, 3 wins
    All it took was being a final season. I’ll never forget award bodies sleeping on the show for so many years.

Fun Facts: Succession is nominated at only two guilds, less than Homeland, House of Cards and This Is UsThis Is Us has more nominations than Killing Eve.

Most nominated comedies

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – 19 nominations, 13 guilds, 13 wins
    Winning 68% of its nominations is big. FYI, it didn’t win all its guilds, it just received more than one nomination/win from certain guilds.

Barry – 11 nominations, 7 guilds, 3 wins
    Compared to last year, it did better than every comedy eligible for last year’s Emmys.

Atlanta – 10 nominations, 8 guilds, 2 wins
    Vastly improving over its first season nominations.

GLOW – 10 nominations, 7 guilds, 2 wins
    Increased in guilds by one, dropped one in nominations. Still big.

Fun Facts: Mrs. Maisel was snubbed only by three guilds: Camera Operators, Visual Effects and Publicists. The Kominsky Method was nominated only at SAG (late release). Insecure has more nominations than Silicon Valley.

Most nominated limited series and TV movies

American Crime Story – 15 nominations, 11 guilds, 5 wins
    Identical numbers with Big Little Lies. I don’t have data on how it did compared to the first season, but I think it did better.

Sharp Objects – 8 nominations, 7 guilds, 1 win
    Decent.

American Horror Story – 7 nominations, 4 guilds, 2 wins
    When more than half of your nominations are for make-up and hairstyling, lol.

Maniac – 6 nominations, 6 guilds, 0 wins
    Probably this year’s surprise. Nothing big, but it’s impressive.

King Lear – 6 nominations, 4 guilds, 1 win
    Don’t underestimate it.

Escape at Dannemora – 5 nominations, 5 guilds, 3 wins
    I think it’s pretty good considering it premiered late in the year.

Fun Facts: Hill House hit one guild. The Terror was nominated at three guilds, The Alienist at five.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Guild Awards Scorecard: Ozark Surges Amid Little Consensus About Dramas by Riley Chow, Gold Derby (April 5)

Click for the full list of all of this year’s guild nominations for dramas, preceded by my analysis.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Guild Awards Scorecard: Escape at Dannemora Builds Momentum Opposite Other Limited Series & Movies
    by Riley Chow, Gold Derby (April 11)

Click for the full list of guild nominations for thirty-four limited series and movies, plus some analysis.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Netflix also has When They See Us, which is dropping on the last day of eligibility, which suggests that that will be their top limited priority this year. I do wonder a little about Maniac, just because it seems like it was widely seen, based on its guild run and 48 000 ratings on IMDb. But I ultimately feel that it lacks passion and there are just enough other competitors that Maniac is going to end up in the bottom half of the top ten in just about every category. Plus anything that airs in the fall generally does better at the guilds than at the Emmys with more time passing. Its individual nominations also hold up less when you look at them on a micro level.

The PGA lineup was weak enough for The Romanoffs to get nominated and nobody is taking that seriously even in the weaker movie category. Emma Stone got a SAG nomination, but Jonah Hill should have been able to get in, given SAG’s Netflix obsession, plus the competition was scattered enough that Bill Pullman got in for the second season of The Sinner. The show was just too weird, so both the Golden Globes and Critics’ Choice shut it out from nominations.

Its WGA nomination was in a category in which nominees are decided by a panel, which leads to screwy nominations. It was nominated opposite The Looming Tower, which the Emmys snubbed for writng. The WGA also has multiple categories for limited series and movies, so they actually nominated eight of them, but there will only be six slots at the Emmys. The Haunting of Hill’s House‘s WGA nomination is actually much more meaningful because it came in a category that was decided by a popular vote, so we know that it has relatively broad support among writers, whereas Maniac might have just gotten lucky with its panel. Consider how American Vandal was nominated in The Haunting of Hill’s House category last year; Maniac‘s category nominated both The Wizard of Lies and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks last year.

It is the same story with ADG. Maniac got its nomination in the limited/movie category, whereas The Haunting of Hill House was nominated against dramas, which is the category format that the Emmys use; the Emmys do not have a separate limited/movie category for production design. Neither the guild nor the Emmys have a separate limited/movie category for costumes, so Maniac was snubbed there. Even Maniac‘s one win came from the Guild of Music Supervisors for music supervision on one of its commercials; they did not even nominate the actual show itself in the limited/movie category. The two fields below the line that correlate the most to broad support are picture editing and sound mixing. Escape at Dannemora did not get as many nominations as Maniac overall, but it was nominated over Maniac in both of those fields at the guilds.

I am not predicting it, but I could see Cary Joji Fukanaga carry his DGA nomination over to the Emmys, like how both groups nominated Barry Levinson for Paterno, which nobody really cared about, but people saw it and he had name recognition.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.