Home Forums Television 2018 Creative Arts Predictions

2018 Creative Arts Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 480 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Macca
Teridax
Riley
  • Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Fantasy/Period Production Design. Pretty confident in GOT winning here. Deborah Riley has never lost so she should be a lock especially with her submission of Dragonstone with the throne room. The Crown is just as good as always and similarly hasn’t lost (yet).

1. GOT
    2. The Crown
    3. Maisel
    4. WW
    5. The Alienist

The Crown should win but… I want to predict Game of Thrones really badly. I think Game of Thrones will win just because voters will be sheep for the eventual Drama Series winner GoT. It wouldn’t be an undeserving winner, but come on, those Crown sets looked like eye candy, they were freaking gorgeously detailed and would be more personal fave of all these nominees. I have no idea why “Beryl” was submitted though, the most memorable aspects of that episode was the dialogue, Cinematography, and Kirby and Goode’s performances. I think that “Dear Mrs Kennedy” definitely would have been a superior submission for Production Design, if not only because the sets seemed to pop out more consistently rather than in just a couple scenes like in “Beryl.”

For your Goldderby Film Awards consideration: Isle of Dogs for every category, especially Music Score for Alexandre Desplat!

Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that “Dear Mrs Kennedy” definitely would have been a superior submission for Production Design, if not only because the sets seemed to pop out more consistently rather than in just a couple scenes like in “Beryl.”

I think that if they had submitted that episode, then I’d be predicting The Crown. But they could have had a better submission.

Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that “Dear Mrs Kennedy” definitely would have been a superior submission for Production Design, if not only because the sets seemed to pop out more consistently rather than in just a couple scenes like in “Beryl.”

I think that if they had submitted that episode, then I’d be predicting The Crown. But they could have had a better submission.

Agreed 100%. “Dragonstone” will be the winner. I’m tempted to even put Maisel above The Crown to be completely honest. :\

For your Goldderby Film Awards consideration: Isle of Dogs for every category, especially Music Score for Alexandre Desplat!

Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Agreed 100%. “Dragonstone” will be the winner. I’m tempted to even put Maisel above The Crown to be completely honest. :\

Don’t be too hasty. Maisel is a comedy competing in a drama category, and while it has beautiful sets (especially at the department store and in her apartments) it isn’t a prestige drama, only a prestige comedy.

Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t be too hasty. Maisel is a comedy competing in a drama category, and while it has beautiful sets (especially at the department store and in her apartments) it isn’t a prestige drama, only a prestige comedy.

“Prestige” is prestige man, I’m predicting GoT, but those Emmy voters really seem to love Maisel as well.

Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Half Hour Production Design. I’m not really following this category but this has to go to Teddy Perkins right? I need help here.

1. Atlanta
    2. GLOW
    3. Barry
    4. Silicon Valley
    5. Will & Grace
    6. Grace & Frankie

Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

Fantasy/Period Production Design. Pretty confident in GOT winning here. Deborah Riley has never lost so she should be a lock especially with her submission of Dragonstone with the throne room. The Crown is just as good as always and similarly hasn’t lost (yet).

1. GOT
    2. The Crown
    3. Maisel
    4. WW
    5. The Alienist

The Crown should win but… I want to predict Game of Thrones really badly. I think Game of Thrones will win just because voters will be sheep for the eventual Drama Series winner GoT. It wouldn’t be an undeserving winner, but come on, those Crown sets looked like eye candy, they were freaking gorgeously detailed and would be more personal fave of all these nominees. I have no idea why “Beryl” was submitted though, the most memorable aspects of that episode was the dialogue, Cinematography, and Kirby and Goode’s performances. I think that “Dear Mrs Kennedy” definitely would have been a superior submission for Production Design, if not only because the sets seemed to pop out more consistently rather than in just a couple scenes like in “Beryl.”

I find the whole Shogun World of Westworld in the episode Akane No Mei to be exceptionally beautiful and complex, I think GoT could win in an tsunami swept but i like Westworld set a little more. This two shows are in another league all the others show looks amateur in comparison.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I was not enamoured with the “Akane no Mai” episode, but Westworld deserves cumulatively deserves it for the second season and all of its new sets.  The expansion in scope was unbelievable.

GLOW is a period piece and it won the guild award (over Emmy winner Veep). It has this.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

GLOW is a period piece and it won the guild award (over Emmy winner Veep). It has this.

But this is Teddy Perkins we are talking about. The basement, the parlor, the lobby with the chair, surely that can beat an 80s set? Atlanta wasn’t able to get nominated last year in this category but the production value has increased since then.

Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

But this is Teddy Perkins we are talking about. The basement, the parlor, the lobby with the chair, surely that can beat an 80s set? Atlanta wasn’t able to get nominated last year in this category but the production value has increased since then.

I am predicting “Teddy Perkins.” Keep in mind GLOW didn’t beat Atlanta at the guild due to the Glover show not being in contention.

Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Variety/Reality Series Production Design. I’m not sure if anyone is aware of this category, but it exists. SNL has won 2 times out of 13 nominations, making it the record holder in both. John Oliver is on it’s first nomination (there must be some reason, is there an especially creative episode?). Bill Nye is on it’s 2nd nomination, DWTS on it’s 3rd and The Voice on it’s 7th. None of them have won.

1. SNL
    2. Last Week Tonight
    3. The Voice
    4. DWTS
    5. Bill Nye

Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Variety/Reality Series Production Design. I’m not sure if anyone is aware of this category, but it exists. SNL has won 2 times out of 13 nominations, making it the record holder in both. John Oliver is on it’s first nomination (there must be some reason, is there an especially creative episode?). Bill Nye is on it’s 2nd nomination, DWTS on it’s 3rd and The Voice on it’s 7th. None of them have won.

1. SNL
    2. Last Week Tonight
    3. The Voice
    4. DWTS
    5. Bill Nye

SNL will win. It has 22 nominations and this should be an easy win. I don’t remember the exact episodes of Last Week Tonight and Sound Mixing but the latter is always well done and on occasion the former is really impressive.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Very late here, but wait a minute.  Regardless of how it did elsewhere, how was Mindhunter snubbed for its main title design?

Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Very late here, but wait a minute. Regardless of how it did elsewhere, how was Mindhunter snubbed for its main title design?

Because the Main Titles were very dull and unmemorable. Not terrible, just forgettable. The Alienist and Westworld were more technically impressive in their designs. GLOW is probably my least favorite of the nominees but even that seemed to capture the specific nature of the show well, while the Mindhunter titles could have gone with any number of different shows. Of course, just my opinion.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I disagree so wholeheartedly that I blame your opinion on your only having seen the episode that was Cameron Britton’s submission.  I have seen versions of those titles for The Alienist so many times before.  And what do they actually saw other than that The Alienist is set in old-timey New York?  Do they say anything about how the show is about a psychologist investigating a series of murders of children?  I definitely saw a version of the Westworld titles last year.  I cannot get behind the GLOW titles just because they only showed up for one episode.

The Mindhunter titles so perfectly set the tone for the show in large part because they did not just contract some design studio to make them.  The titles’ director, editor, cinematographer and composer play the same roles on the actual show.  Like the show, the Mindhunter titles are sophisticated, yet unsettling.  It is a simple design nailed in its execution through deliberate framing, inventive editing and a haunting score.  This is not a show with an original story, but it compensates with exceeding competence.  The titles contain twenty-five subliminal images that illustrate the show’s meticulous craft, as well as its subtle menace.  The titles are also illustrative on a more surface level, in that they depict two things, which are a tape recorder being set up and a corpse.  This is a show about about recording interviews with killers.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 480 total)

The topic ‘2018 Creative Arts Predictions’ is closed to new replies.