Home Forums Television 2018 Creative Arts Predictions

2018 Creative Arts Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 480 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Macca
Riley Chow
Luca Giliberti
  • Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I think that it is because of Stranger Things that we are all predicting Westworld. It proved that the voters can just go for the most memorable sequence from the most popular show.

But wasn’t Stranger Things an anomaly in that sense? Look at Manhattan, The Man In The High Castle, and Da Vinci’s Demons winning in recent years in spite of hardly being Emmy favorites, though High Castle also won Cinematography. Manhattan also only had 1 nomination just like Counterpart. Then again, True Detective also won, so it wasn’t a complete anomaly for a popular show to pull off a win here.

Hard to say what is an anomaly after only two years of the current system.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I am VERY worried about Ramin Djawadi. I am very close to putting Sean Callery in first place. My very first GD article was about this category. Ramin has to overcome vote-splitting with himself, which won’t be easy. Then, 17-time nominee Callery sits right there waiting for that to happen. I am praying that the Ramin fans rally behind ONE of the two shows.

I think this year is different for him than the previous ones because:

1. He’s a multiple nominee this year in a field of five. With his history with this branch, this is a very good sign of support.

2. He received his second Grammy nomination after a decade. That too for a television series, which is hard to achieve.

3. His recent GoT concert, which was very well received, provided him with the exposure he needed.

4. Game of Thrones has become his most popular, critically acclaimed and awarded work till date. Many consider him due for some recognition from the Emmys.

5. He has a very good submission for GoT, so there’s no need to worry like in 2016, when he chose The Door over The Winds of Winter (he clearly should have picked the latter).

6. I think his work on GoT is the clear standout, so there’s no need to worry about vote-splitting. He will overcome that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that it is because of Stranger Things that we are all predicting Westworld. It proved that the voters can just go for the most memorable sequence from the most popular show.

But wasn’t Stranger Things an anomaly in that sense? Look at Manhattan, The Man In The High Castle, and Da Vinci’s Demons winning in recent years in spite of hardly being Emmy favorites, though High Castle also won Cinematography. Manhattan also only had 1 nomination just like Counterpart. Then again, True Detective also won, so it wasn’t a complete anomaly for a popular show to pull off a win here.

Hard to say what is an anomaly after only two years of the current system.

How do Main Title Designers even vote, preferential or plurality? Stranger Things was the least technically impressive of the nominees last year yet was undeniably iconic with those letters coming together… Perhaps Westworld wins due to it being the most easily recognizable and distinct and most “iconic” of these 5 contenders, not simply due to it being the most nominated show overall?

It used to be a jury vote but I’m not sure what it is now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Limited Score. The Dannas are probably the biggest namechecks in this category, with Gregson-Williams as the second most well-known. Electric Dreams did well getting two nominations.

1. Black Mirror
    2. Godless
    3. Alias Grace
    4. Electric Dreams (The Commuter)
    5. March of the Penguins 2
    6. Electric Dreams (Crazy Diamond)

Series Score. Djawadi wins this but what for? I believe it’ll be for WW because he was able to get a Theme Music nomination for WW, even though he was unable to get one for GOT meaning that they probably support it more. Jessica Jones is a Callery score but even he has never been able to get double nominations in this category. It is Djawadi’s time.

1. WW
    2. GOT
    3. Jessica Jones
    4. Star Wars Rebels
    5. Once Upon a Time
    6. SEAL Team

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Macca.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Both Music for Series and Limited are very interesting and I’ve been eagerly waiting for the discussion.

I’ll start with Limited. Godless is first in my predictions, mainly because I don’t remember anything at all about Black Mirror‘s music. Like seriously, nothing. The music in last year’s winner Fargo is almost crucial to the show’s identity. I also think that Alias Grace could upset, which I have at second place.

Jessica Jones is first in my predictions for Series. It’s not just the fact of being nominated twice, but also not having a clear frontrunner between the two shows. Neither Game of Thrones nor Westworld are undeniable over the other one. If I decide to go with Djawadi in the end, I’m leaning towards Westworld.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe it’ll be for WW because he was able to get a Theme Music nomination for WW, even though he was unable to get one for GOT meaning that they probably support it more.

That was before Djawadi became popular for his work on television. Now, he’s one of the most popular and recognizable composer working. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t that a different voting system?

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

Limited Score. The Dannas are probably the biggest namechecks in this category, with Gregson-Williams as the second most well-known. Electric Dreams did well getting two nominations. 1. Black Mirror 2. Godless 3. Alias Grace 4. Electric Dreams (The Commuter) 5. March of the Penguins 2 6. Electric Dreams (Crazy Diamond) Series Score. Djawadi wins this but what for? I believe it’ll be for WW because he was able to get a Theme Music nomination for WW, even though he was unable to get one for GOT meaning that they probably support it more. Jessica Jones is a Callery score but even he has never been able to get double nominations in this category. It is Djawadi’s time. 1. WW 2. GOT 3. Jessica Jones 4. Star Wars Rebels 5. Once Upon a Time 6. SEAL Team

I think now they realized how absurd it was for them to not nominate him for Game of Thrones’ theme on season 1, I mean the list of nominees must be one of the most laughable ones in Emmys history considering all the forgettable things that got in and what didn’t (GoT). He became popular and acclaimed for Game of Thrones, that’s why they didn’t make that mistake again, certainly the Westworld theme was worthy of a nomination as well. If anything, what presents a weakness for Westworld in that category was it actually losing to that generic theme for Stranger Things.

If Djawadi wins for anything it will be for GoT for sure. The only thing i’m worried about is vote splitting, and if he eventually wins for Westworld I’ll be very surprised, and rather disappointed because I Think the GoT score is much better and Westworld will have plenty of other chances while GoT will only have 1 more. As for a clear frontrunner between the two, I think GoT is definitely the more iconic, loved and acclaimed between the two, and the Grammy nomination and live concert are a great indication for that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I too have Godless in first place for limited series. Overall, it has more passion than Black Mirror does I think. It’s also a Western, which won’t hurt it. I am curious as to why so many people have USS Callister in first place.

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Can someone explain these music categories to me? Because I don’t get them. Why hasn’t Adam Taylor (THT) not been nominated yet? The music is so important for the story and it’s hauntingly beautiful. Why can the Crown get in last year but not this year? There’s something about this category that I’m not getting

Emmys FYC - "Unbelievable" and "The Handmaid's Tale" in all categories; Viola Davis in Best Drama Actress for the final season of "HTGAWM;" "Ozark:" Drama Series, Laura Linney (Best Actress) and Julia Garner (Best Supporting Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 480 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.