Home Forums Television 2018 Emmy Awards Comedy Nominations Reactions

2018 Emmy Awards Comedy Nominations Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 193 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Guest 2018
forwardswill
Andrew D
  • Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Rachel fucking Brosnahan, an journeywoman actress whose biggest claim to fame was House of Cards, is going to get an Emmy for the fewest number of episodes a comedy or drama has ever produced in a season. Chew on that for a moment and feel the anger that I feel right about now.

What does this mean? Veep season 1 only had eight episodes, and Julia Louis Dreyfuss won, so Brosnahan would be on equal footing with her. Bryan Cranston, Anna Gunn, and Aaron Paul all won their final emmys for a Breaking Bad season of eight episodes.

If you’re talking solely about episodes in a season, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt only had six this season. HBO comedies often have eight episodes in their first season. And Stranger Things only had eight episodes last season. It doesn’t seem that out of the norm anymore.

There needs to be a cutoff in number of episodes in comedy and drama series to end this craziness. Make it no fewer than 10 episodes, otherwise, you get shipped to limited series and you can fend for yourselves there. It was ridic when Veep and Breaking Bad won w/just 8 then and its more headscratching today.

ReplyCopy URL
    Fade
    Participant
    Topics:

Rachel fucking Brosnahan, an journeywoman actress whose biggest claim to fame was House of Cards, is going to get an Emmy for the fewest number of episodes a comedy or drama has ever produced in a season. Chew on that for a moment and feel the anger that I feel right about now.

What does this mean? Veep season 1 only had eight episodes, and Julia Louis Dreyfuss won, so Brosnahan would be on equal footing with her. Bryan Cranston, Anna Gunn, and Aaron Paul all won their final emmys for a Breaking Bad season of eight episodes. If you’re talking solely about episodes in a season, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt only had six this season. HBO comedies often have eight episodes in their first season. And Stranger Things only had eight episodes last season. It doesn’t seem that out of the norm anymore.

There needs to be a cutoff in number of episodes in comedy and drama series to end this craziness. Make it no fewer than 10 episodes, otherwise, you get shipped to limited series and you can fend for yourselves there. It was ridic when Veep and Breaking Bad won w/just 8 then and its more headscratching today.

What’s more head-scratching is the mental gymnastics you go through to justify Kristen Bell’s constant losses.

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

Somebody is not having a good day (or maybe having a great day if they like to live in anger and misery).

Anyway, can we acknowledge that this is the first time in 9 years that Modern Family didn’t get nominated for Best Comedy? It still received one Emmy nomination for Sound Mixing.

ReplyCopy URL
    leothescorpio
    Participant
    Topics:

LMFAO I KNEW KRISTEN BELL WASN’T GETTING IN AND I EXPECTED A MELTDOWN BUT LMFAOOOOOOO

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Somebody is not having a good day (or maybe having a great day if they like to live in anger and misery).

Because I have a serious problem with style triumphing over substance, and today, the hammer blows the Emmys gave substance over style that made Peter Stzrok’s verbal beatdown of Trey Gowdy in Washington today look like love taps in comparison were just brutal.

And Rolling Stone agrees: “A small squeal of joy erupted from Good Place fans when Ted Danson’s name was read aloud, allowing for the small hope that this across-the-board snub from last year would have a fruitful morning this year. Sadly, Danson is the only one to escape from the Bad Place of Emmy Snubbery. Where’s Kristen Bell? William Jackson Harper? D’Arcy “Janet” Carden?!? Most of all, where’s the nomination for Comedy Series for what is easily the best sitcom on network television? And did you really not nominate ANY of this brilliant show’s writing team? There has been a lot of talk about the demise of quality programming on the broadcast networks – it might help if groups like the Academy recognized it in the few places it still exists.”

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

BEcause I have a serious problem with style triumphing over substance, and today, the hammer blows the Emmys gave substance over style that made Peter Stzrok’s verbal beatdown of Trey Gowdy in Washington today look like love taps in comparison were just brutal.

And Rolling Stone agrees: “A small squeal of joy erupted from Good Place fans when Ted Danson’s name was read aloud, allowing for the small hope that this across-the-board snub from last year would have a fruitful morning this year. Sadly, Danson is the only one to escape from the Bad Place of Emmy Snubbery. Where’s Kristen Bell? William Jackson Harper? D’Arcy “Janet” Carden?!? Most of all, where’s the nomination for Comedy Series for what is easily the best sitcom on network television? And did you really not nominate ANY of this brilliant show’s writing team? There has been a lot of talk about the demise of quality programming on the broadcast networks – it might help if groups like the Academy recognized it in the few places it still exists.”

You are actually making me happy that the Good Place was snubbed because of your constant toxic stanning

Please stop before you turn everyone on this website against that great show and Bell.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

LA Times: “Surprises also come when voters course correct and recognize a series or actor after the initial first-season splash….This year, Danson, playing a charming demon on NBC’s smart and funny “The Good Place” earned his 12th Emmy nomination. Maybe next year voters will expand their recognition for a series (Kristen Bell is pretty great too!) characterized by intelligent optimism and decency. We could use a little bit more of that these days.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

BEcause I have a serious problem with style triumphing over substance, and today, the hammer blows the Emmys gave substance over style that made Peter Stzrok’s verbal beatdown of Trey Gowdy in Washington today look like love taps in comparison were just brutal.

You are actually making me happy that the Good Place was snubbed because of your constant toxic stanning

Please stop before you turn everyone on this website against that great show and Bell.

His stanning is killing me. I love the show, but this is WAY too much. You remember when he used to stan constantly for Continuum?

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

I wish Atlanta wasn’t winning a shit because it’s in a wrong category. It’s a great show but it’s no comedy. It just isn’t.

My brother showed me an episode (one where Childish Gambino goes to a German festival with his girlfriend who has German heritage) and it was a serious downer. It wasn’t even like Insecure where there are really serious plot points or drama but still has humor. The whole thing was depressing. Maybe other episodes are actually funny, but if the rest of the show has the same tone as that episode, then I have agree with you about it not really being a comedy despite its 30 minute format.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  SHT L.
    ReplyCopy URL
    chrisanegron
    Participant
    Topics:

Jesus, I’m a super fan of TGP. Don’t get me wrong, I obviously would have loved to see it get more nominations but, it’s not the the ONLY great or good thing on television. And there’s literally no reason to waste so much time typing that much text onto this site but go off I guess..

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

For those of you who are mad about Emmy snubs, this is the way I see it. It’s become so unmanageable with so many programs out there that it’s becoming like the Grammy’s for me. Nice and a true honor to be nominated and win but not receiving a nomination has no bearing on whether the show is award-worthy or is of high quality. There’s just no way to nominate everything that is worthy of an award these days. It’s not like the early days where there were only three broadcast channels so the pool was very limited. There are so many high quality TV programs all over the place and many of them will never be invited to the Emmys just because so much of it is dependent on name recognition and other things.

Just like how your favorite musicians may not receive Grammy nominations (most of my faves don’t) but that doesn’t take away the quality and impact of their work.

I know I railed about Kimmy Schmidt not getting a writing nomination, but I’m already over it for those reasons.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  SHT L.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Speaking of snubs: http://www.newsweek.com/emmys-2018-nominations-biggest-snubs-1020846

“Kristen Bell — The Good Place: NBC scoring a well-deserved Comedy Series nomination for this critically acclaimed series was slim. The Emmys, however, should’ve at the very least recognized it’s ever-so-charming star. Despite being a television veteran, she’s failed to capture attention from voters for her efforts. Ted Danson’s nod will do for now.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

Still no emmy nomination! BELL SUCKS! Aldon has 2 emmy nods in a row for her show lol, and BELL has zero. ????????????????????????

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 193 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.