Home Forums Television 2018 Emmy Awards – Miscellaneous Categories

2018 Emmy Awards – Miscellaneous Categories

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
Created
7 days ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
replies
views
users
Teridax
That Don Guy
wilfredpickles
  • Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Wait…Fuller House is considered a “children’s program”?

It feels like it was written by adults with intellectual capacity of abnormally dumb children, does that count?

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE SINGLE GREATEST ANIMATED TV SHOW OF THE PAST YEAR (if not the best TV show overall) RICK AND MORTY FOR FINALLY GETTING NOMINATED IN THE CATEGORY OF ANIMATED PROGRAM FOR SEASON 3, IT’S BEST SEASON EVER!!!! I’m also loving its nomination for “Virtual Rick-ality” in Interactive Program. Pickle Rick for the Emmys! 😀

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Here are the nominees for Main Title Design, I thought I would actually post them here for you all to view and discuss.

Counterpart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZze5DHxbF4

GLOW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOKqf1Xsgww

Westworld: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbbENlVysmI

Altered Carbon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tki2djOYbuc

The Alienist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQJaoLSbc_A

Altered Carbon is my personal favorite of the nominees but I’m biased because I loved that show so much. Counterpart surprised me because of how incredibly well-designed it was. Westworld got robbed in this category last year and could win this year as an I.O.U. The show got more major nominations than GLOW and looking at Stranger Things winning last year as the most nominated show of the lineup, maybe Westworld will get its chance to claim the Main Title Design prize. The Alienist felt kind of like a True Detective wannabe for some reason, hard to describe it just did. GLOW started off interesting but really did get kind of visually repetitive towards the end. Counterpart, Altered Carbon, and obviously Westworld remained more visually inventive consistently throughout the entire title sequence.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

The Alienist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQJaoLSbc_A%5B/quote%5D

The Alienist really did better than I expected. I had Godless instead in this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

The Alienist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQJaoLSbc_A%5B/quote%5D

The Alienist really did better than I expected. I had Godless instead in this category.

Godless’ Main Title sequence was certainly more interesting than The Alienist. I couldn’t find all the nominees on YouTube for Main Title Theme Music, but it pisses me off to no end that my personal favorite of the contenders in that category Marvel’s The Punisher was snubbed for its memorable tune while Marvel’s The Defenders IMO generically done work was nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    wilfredpickles
    Participant
    Topics:

Whatever wins Animated Program once again needs to be taken with a grain of salt since it doesn’t have to compete with BoJack Horseman. Its submission has been better than all the nominees for at least seasons 3 and 4.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Huh. I was so overjoyed and ecstatic about Rick and Morty finally getting a nomination for Animated Program it never really clicked with me until now that (Baymax Returns) Big Hero 6: The Series was nominated over the masterful Bojack Horseman “Time’s Arrow.” Seriously WTF Emmys?! If you can tell me that literally anything from the Disney Channel right now is more brilliantly edited and acted than the best of Bojack Horseman (like say, the episode “Time’s Arrow!”) then you shouldn’t be judging the Emmys because in my opinion is just complete insanity. Tragic that Disney Channel couldn’t get Gravity Falls a nomination for Animated Program even for its imaginative, heartfelt, and flawlessly done epic multi-part series finale, yet Big Hero 6: The Series gets nominated for its first season eligible for the Emmys. I just find that bizarre and sad.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked the Big Hero 6 movie + supported its Oscar win for Animated Feature, but did it deserve to be nominated for an Animated Program Emmy over “Time’s Arrow” Bojack Horseman? NO. If Raphael Bob-Waksberg wasn’t so awards-apathetic maybe then his show wouldn’t have been snubbed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Whatever wins Animated Program once again needs to be taken with a grain of salt since it doesn’t have to compete with BoJack Horseman. Its submission has been better than all the nominees for at least seasons 3 and 4.

Bojack only had a few genuinely amazing episodes of Season 4 (“The Old Sugarman Place, “Ruthie,” and the masterful “Time’s Arrow”) while literally every one of the 10 episodes of Rick and Morty Season 3 was hilarious and terrifically well done. The writing on Rick and Morty is more consistently well done, even if on its own “Time’s Arrow” is arguably better than “Pickle Rick” in some ways. You know what, they really are too different to compare to be honest. All I’m saying is that if Rick and Morty wins Animated Program it will be Emmy justice and them recognizing what was a perfect season of television. “Time’s Arrow” certainly seems like a perfect episode to me, but Season 4 was anything but a perfect season.

With how tonally haywire Bojack Season 4 got with those insane zombie-like clowns in the woods and so much serious emotional drama with Hollyhock and Bojack’s mother, the emotional tone and narrative execution felt more schizophrenic and indecisive than ever. I know that tonal inconsistency had to have hurt it with at least some Emmy voters who watched the entire season. By contrast, the tonal and aesthetic consistency and confidence while keeping up solid character development and funny unpredictable storytelling displayed in Rick and Morty’s entire 3rd Season no doubt helped it more than “Pickle Rick” as an individual episode on its own merits did.

ReplyCopy URL
    wilfredpickles
    Participant
    Topics:

Bojack only had a few genuinely amazing episodes of Season 4 (“The Old Sugarman Place, “Ruthie,” and the masterful “Time’s Arrow”) while literally every one of the 10 episodes of Rick and Morty Season 3 was hilarious and terrifically well done. The writing on Rick and Morty is more consistently well done, even if on its own “Time’s Arrow” is arguably better than “Pickle Rick” in some ways. You know what, they really are too different to compare to be honest. All I’m saying is that if Rick and Morty wins Animated Program it will be Emmy justice and them recognizing what was a perfect season of television. “Time’s Arrow” certainly seems like a perfect episode to me, but Season 4 was anything but a perfect season. With how tonally haywire Bojack Season 4 got with those insane zombie-like clowns in the woods and so much serious emotional drama with Hollyhock and Bojack’s mother, the emotional tone and narrative execution felt more schizophrenic and indecisive than ever. I know that tonal inconsistency had to have hurt it with at least some Emmy voters who watched the entire season. By contrast, the tonal and aesthetic consistency and confidence while keeping up solid character development and funny unpredictable storytelling displayed in Rick and Morty’s entire 3rd Season no doubt helped it more than “Pickle Rick” as an individual episode on its own merits did.

I preferred season 4 of BoJack to season 3 of Rick and Morty by far, but honestly what I’d much rather focus on is the weird paradox you bring up: since Animated Program contenders ostensibly only select one episode for consideration, should it matter what voters thought of the whole season? To be honest, I think the blunt answer is that most voters likely aren’t watching whole seasons of any of the nominees

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Bojack only had a few genuinely amazing episodes of Season 4 (“The Old Sugarman Place, “Ruthie,” and the masterful “Time’s Arrow”) while literally every one of the 10 episodes of Rick and Morty Season 3 was hilarious and terrifically well done. The writing on Rick and Morty is more consistently well done, even if on its own “Time’s Arrow” is arguably better than “Pickle Rick” in some ways. You know what, they really are too different to compare to be honest. All I’m saying is that if Rick and Morty wins Animated Program it will be Emmy justice and them recognizing what was a perfect season of television. “Time’s Arrow” certainly seems like a perfect episode to me, but Season 4 was anything but a perfect season. With how tonally haywire Bojack Season 4 got with those insane zombie-like clowns in the woods and so much serious emotional drama with Hollyhock and Bojack’s mother, the emotional tone and narrative execution felt more schizophrenic and indecisive than ever. I know that tonal inconsistency had to have hurt it with at least some Emmy voters who watched the entire season. By contrast, the tonal and aesthetic consistency and confidence while keeping up solid character development and funny unpredictable storytelling displayed in Rick and Morty’s entire 3rd Season no doubt helped it more than “Pickle Rick” as an individual episode on its own merits did.

I preferred season 4 of BoJack to season 3 of Rick and Morty by far, but honestly what I’d much rather focus on is the weird paradox you bring up: since Animated Program contenders ostensibly only select one episode for consideration, should it matter what voters thought of the whole season? To be honest, I think the blunt answer is that most voters likely aren’t watching whole seasons of any of the nominees

Like I said, I think “Pickle Rick” and “Time’s Arrow” are too different to compare, but both episodes were perfect for what they were trying to do. Both delivered perfectly on each of their stories with no complaints from me. Rick and Morty deserves to win entirely on merit alone in my opinion. Bojack on the submission alone was nomination-worthy over Big Hero 6: The Series, but I still would have been vastly more passionate about Rick and Morty even if the Netflix show had made the cut. The tonal and emotional schizophrenia of the season as a whole helped kill Bojack at the Emmys this year, so at least it’s Animated Program snub makes sense to me unlike last year, where not only was its submission perfect but the season as a whole seemed like its most tonally consistent yet in balancing out the darkness with the laughs.

ReplyCopy URL
    DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

Ramin Djawadi for GoT’s Music is the most worthy win of all categories in all platforms and categories this year

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Ramin Djawadi for GoT’s Music is the most worthy win of all categories in all platforms and categories this year

Can’t argue with that!

ReplyCopy URL
    wilfredpickles
    Participant
    Topics:

The tonal and emotional schizophrenia of the season as a whole helped kill Bojack at the Emmys this year, so at least it’s Animated Program snub makes sense to me unlike last year

Maybe this is me being overly cynical, but I don’t think tone plays a role in determining the nominees – Animated Program is the ultimate name check category and I simply don’t think voters watch any of the shows regularly, if at all.

Simpsons, South Park and Bob’s Burgers will probably get in until they’re ineligible, and we regularly see some left field contender from a big studio like Disney, which once again is due to name recognition. What helped Rick and Morty this season compared to previous years, even more than critical acclaim, was internet buzz. Otherwise the fifth nominee almost certainly would’ve been the disastrous 9th season of Archer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

The tonal and emotional schizophrenia of the season as a whole helped kill Bojack at the Emmys this year, so at least it’s Animated Program snub makes sense to me unlike last year

Maybe this is me being overly cynical, but I don’t think tone plays a role in determining the nominees – Animated Program is the ultimate name check category and I simply don’t think voters watch any of the shows regularly, if at all.

Simpsons, South Park and Bob’s Burgers will probably get in until they’re ineligible, and we regularly see some left field contender from a big studio like Disney, which once again is due to name recognition. What helped Rick and Morty this season compared to previous years, even more than critical acclaim, was internet buzz. Otherwise the fifth nominee almost certainly would’ve been the disastrous 9th season of Archer.

I liked your comment for the 2nd paragraph, specifically the point you made about internet buzz probably helping Rick and Morty. However, Bojack had a ton of buzz as well, and it also premiered in the fall of last year, so why didn’t all the buzz and praise for Bojack S4 help that get nominated over Big Hero 6: The Series? I honestly do think you are being overly cynical by saying “tone doesn’t matter.” Last year, I correctly predicted Bob’s Burgers to win Animated Program a 2nd time when most Goldderby predictors thought Archer would repeat. How did I know that? The reception of that Archer season was very mixed while the Bob’s Burgers episode submitted was hilarious and even heartfelt. It was a perfect episode choice I knew would win and I was right. Animated Program isn’t Drama Guest Actress (Martindale x2) or Comedy Supporting Actor (Baldwin) where we KNOW the voters didn’t actually watch any of the episodes submitted based on their winner choices. I’m less confident that voters are watching Short-Form Animated Program, but I admit that is largely due to my pro-Steven Universe bias. That show easily had the best episode submission 2 years in a row with “The Answer” and “Mr. Greg” with the former being easily one of my Top 5 favorite episodes of the entire series, which is really saying something considering what a huge fan of the show I am. However, it isn’t like SU lost to garbage. In hindsight, Robot Chicken and to a greater extent Adventure Time won with solid episode submissions even though they were by no means my personal favorites, so it really is a subjective thing. In this popular/plurality voting system that has only been around a couple years, I have yet to see a truly bad or indefensibly bizarre episode submission choice win either Animated Program category, which is pretty impressive. We can disagree, but I think Emmy voters most likely saw the entire 4th Season of Bojack, and whether or not they loved “Time’s Arrow” they ended up having too hard of a time separating that individual episode from such an uneven season overall. Just my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.